toldailytopic: Same-sex marriage: for it, or against it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
how do you tell when you are living with someone who might kill you?

Their words and actions. If someone tells you they will kill you and how or if they are physically abusive, that's a pretty good sign.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I think you were already confused
:noid:

and
what saddens me is that most here do not seem to appreciate the importance of bringing children into this world
and
providing them a decent home
Well I have good news for you then. You can cheer up because no one is denying the importance of that, nor are they risking children being raised in a bad environment. If I recall correctly, a while back you admitted that gay marriage doesn't put any children in danger.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Do you subscribe to the understanding that locks mostly keep out honest people, if along the margin?

Else, why would I? Do you deny that there is a reason we congregate? Or that there is an added benefit in our congregation? We are creatures of ceremony. We respond to it. It enhances. A contract is a ceremony with bite. That bite is a bit like the old lock. It gives pause where pause might not come otherwise. That enhances stability in relationships, which benefits the compact.

It would be interesting to know how many marriages are "saved" because the couple doesn't want to go through the trouble of getting a divorce.

Somewhat relevant.....I heard that divorce is down recently and it is being attributed to the bad economy. People want to pool resources.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It would be interesting to know how many marriages are "saved" because the couple doesn't want to go through the trouble of getting a divorce.
Well, I can give you a number of examples of people who salvaged marriages in the long run after being held in place by the idea of the process of divorce.

To which I'd add that the ceremony invests us in a way that the absence of one cannot, which I meant to have as part of my "we are creatures of" set out in the last. Rites have gravitas and alter our valuation of things. That's why they're historically observable tools of nearly any institution that desires stability and longevity.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
If I recall correctly, a while back you admitted that gay marriage doesn't put any children in danger.

it already has

you may have noticed how many here do not think the purpose of marriage is to protect the child
and
many do not even think it does

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
it already has
Another point you haven't established beyond the breath needed to make the claim.

you may have noticed how many here do not think the purpose of marriage is to protect the child and many do not even think it does

Rather, it demonstrably, rationally isn't and for the actual reasons and reasoning set out prior.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Well, I can give you a number of examples of people who salvaged marriages in the long run after being held in place by the idea of the process of divorce.

To which I'd add that the ceremony invests us in a way that the absence of one cannot, which I meant to have as part of my "we are creatures of" set out in the last. Rites have gravitas and alter our valuation of things. That's why they're historically observable tools of nearly any institution that desires stability and longevity.

I don't equate the ceremony with the contract.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I don't equate the ceremony with the contract.
Actually, here the one doesn't exist without the other. It's only a matter of degree. Even a purely civil affair takes place before a magistrate and has a certain amount of ceremony/rite.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Actually, here the one doesn't exist without the other. It's only a matter of degree. Even a purely civil affair takes place before a magistrate and has a certain amount of ceremony/rite.

I don't completely agree. Certain homosexual couples couple have ceremonies with no legal recognition. Anyone can do so.

Arthur Brain

if there are no children involved and two people agree that they should be divorced,

can you give me one reason why they should stay together?

How about marriages where there's no children involved and the couples in question remain happily wed? Can you give me one good reason as to how they've not fulfilled their wedding vows? If not then your assertion that the purpose of marriage is to protect the child is once again sunk.

Get over it Chrys. You're on a sinking ship and you're running out of liferafts.

:plain:

Status
Not open for further replies.