toldailytopic: Buddhism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lon

Buddhism the philosophy, has a lot of Christian values and sentiment so not too shabby.

Buddhism the religion, making a religion out of a philosophy is short-sighted (not a holistic understanding of our world) and stuck with a twisting of one man's take on the world where he wouldn't have called it a religion. He was observing and stating universal values.

S

sonicdrifter

Just a few footnotes, the third noble truth of the Buddha can be stated as suffering can come to a complete end through ending craving, negativity, and delusion (through meditation) and when this happens nirvana is realized, which is "the unborn, the unchanging, and the undying" (aka the eternal). The transitoriness of the phenomena and self something meant to be observed and not attached to, so that the eternal can be rested in, there is a part of us, the truer and deeper part, that can rest in the eternal and be part of it. It is not a personality self, but it is a kind of identity that is more real than the transitory thoughts, emotions, sensation, and reaction that we normally identify with. Buddhism, in its condensed form as the eightfold path is more of a psychology and a practice where one can realize something that ends sorrow completely. It does not require any beliefs to practice, though one needs to practice kindness toward all sentient beings.

Beatrice

Buddhism the philosophy, has a lot of Christian values and sentiment so not too shabby.

Buddhism the religion, making a religion out of a philosophy is short-sighted (not a holistic understanding of our world) and stuck with a twisting of one man's take on the world where he wouldn't have called it a religion. He was observing and stating universal values.

Christianity has a few Buddhist values, so not too shabby.

taikoo

Riiiiiiiiiight...if you've purchased real estate in hell maybe...:kook:

I cannot think of a more miserable, unhappy, destructive "religion."

aww now vegas, i thought you were more worldy and sophisticated than that.

i think you is letting fundicity cloud your vision.

Last edited:

taikoo

Nice that you are able to see that people can recognize values without having to get them from "god" or 'christians", the way tom thinks.

If you are seeking a "holistic' understanding of the world, you will never get there by looking at the inside of your own eyelids.

Theists think that the projection of their own psyches onto the world is enlightenment. it isnt. its just a way to make sure you wont ever get it. The inability / refusal of fundies to realize the world is ancient and evolution is real is a glaringly obvious example of this.

S

sonicdrifter

I cannot think of a more miserable, unhappy, destructive "religion."

In a literal historical sense, Christianity has been the most destructive religion on the planet, with more wars in their name of its leader, sometimes on both sides of the battlefield, than any other religion. Perhaps Jihadist Islam is catching up with this, but it still has not succeeded. Buddhism, 500 years older than Christianity, has very few examples of wars in the name of its leader, with Buddha stopping one very big one in his own lifetime by peaceful, calm, and rational discourse with the two leader kings, and King Asoka disbanding his entire army after he becomes a Buddhist.

Buddha is portrayed with a serene smile that shows the attainment of Nirvana, an inner peace that the world cannot shake. The muscle relaxation required to reach this serene smile cannot be faked by a tense smile that covers sorrow, but it does come from dissolving the three poisons of the mind in meditation, both in the conscious mind and the subconscious mind.

Being a Buddhist does not automatically make this enlightenment happen, but I have found that just listening to the Dharma and understanding it brings a measure of peace, and if you meditate for even two years with a decent meditation teacher that you will have flashes of "the unborn, the unchanging, and undying" and its peace. The third noble truth is sometimes stated as "Nirvana is the highest pleasure". I do find it interesting how much attention is given to the first noble truth that sorrow exists and how less attention is given to the third noble truth, the promise of the Buddha, that all sorrow can end within the bliss of Nirvana. It is this promise that Buddhism is based upon, in all its forms, in all its sects, which really differ on only some fairly exotic points and which use different meditation methods, and which still have the Eightfold Path within them. All of them essentially agreeing on the exact place where sorrow can end.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Life is its own gift.........

Life is its own gift.........

In a literal historical sense, Christianity has been the most destructive religion on the planet, with more wars in their name of its leader, sometimes on both sides of the battlefield, than any other religion. Perhaps Jihadist Islam is catching up with this, but it still has not succeeded. Buddhism, 500 years older than Christianity, has very few examples of wars in the name of its leader, with Buddha stopping one very big one in his own lifetime by peaceful, calm, and rational discourse with the two leader kings, and King Asoka disbanding his entire army after he becomes a Buddhist.

Buddha is portrayed with a serene smile that shows the attainment of Nirvana, an inner peace that the world cannot shake. The muscle relaxation required to reach this serene smile cannot be faked by a tense smile that covers sorrow, but it does come from dissolving the three poisons of the mind in meditation, both in the conscious mind and the subconscious mind.

Being a Buddhist does not automatically make this enlightenment happen, but I have found that just listening to the Dharma and understanding it brings a measure of peace, and if you meditate for even two years with a decent meditation teacher that you will have flashes of "the unborn, the unchanging, and undying" and its peace. The third noble truth is sometimes stated as "Nirvana is the highest pleasure". I do find it interesting how much attention is given to the first noble truth that sorrow exists and how less attention is given to the third noble truth, the promise of the Buddha, that all sorrow can end within the bliss of Nirvana. It is this promise that Buddhism is based upon, in all its forms, in all its sects, which really differ on only some fairly exotic points and which use different meditation methods, and which still have the Eightfold Path within them. All of them essentially agreeing on the exact place where sorrow can end.

Blessings in the buddhi light :)

Truly,....via 'meditation' in the Silence and in the Spirit....there (in that realm of attentive luminous awareness)....is life and peace. I've recently been exploring Zen Buddhism, as 'zen' flows so beautifully with Non-Duality in general, yet offers a subtle harmony behind all opposites, embracing the totality of life, seeing both 'illusion' and 'enlightenment' as integral to the experience of All That Is. Mindfulness opens us up to the discovery of the 'unborn, undying essence' which is our very own Buddha-nature. This permeates and includes the conditional ego and all phenomena.

To quote from Master Taisen Deshimaru -

"The beautiful lotus flower does not grow in lush green meadows or on lofty mountain crags; it takes root in a muddy pond. We cannot obtain the treasure of absolute wisdom without entering the ocean of illusion."

-The Ring of the Way

pj

zippy2006

Of course Buddhism doesn't automatically bring joy or enlightenment; only God can do that. Buddhism is correct according to its own purview, but if we broaden the scope we see that these truths are but a part of a much more comprehensive whole.

One good way to see this is to see that Buddhism focuses on rules. It makes rules the supreme thing and says if you follow those rules or recommendations then you will achieve happiness. But when we think about it, the idea that a static, impersonal, unsupported, ungiven (no lawgiver) rule resides as the key to life makes no sense. A rule does not exist on its own. And how silly it is to say that a rule rises above true being, true life, and true Love. No, the minimization of suffering and the attainment of an ecstatic state is not what life is about; it is about something far greater.

:e4e:

Nydhogg

What's the difference between the buddhists and other non-christians about that?

According to your beliefs, there's a place in your Hell for me, for example.

You said Buddhists were the most miserable. Are they, perchance, worse off than Hindus, Jews, Muslims, Zoroastrians, Shintoists or Pagans?

zippy2006

What's the difference between the buddhists and other non-christians about that?

You said Buddhists were the most miserable. Are they, perchance, worse off than Hindus, Jews, Muslims, Zoroastrians, Shintoists or Pagans?

My opinion on this matter is that Buddhists may be more miserable in some ways since they understand so much but still fall short. A pleasure-seeking atheist may not be very miserable for the majority of this life, but a Buddhist is quite different. Assuming Buddhism isn't the answer, it would be a very tiring and hopeless system (at least it was for me). Avoiding all attachment whatsoever and trying to do it all on your own can often lead to despair.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Good question, and I am afraid that I do not have an answer for you. Those (Buddhists) that I have met were never happy. And I don't mean the regular ups and downs and hardships that life brings, I mean their general outlook on what they were experiencing seemed so...well, sad.
I'm not sure how else to describe it.

Do I know all Buddhists everywhere? I do not. But this has been my experience.

I truly love the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I love knowing that I am saved in the Lord. I love knowing that He died so that I might live. This brings me the strength to deal with all the bumps in my life. Even when I am in despair, I am...well, happy. When I have had discussions with the Buddhists that I have known (some of whom I consider friends) about dealing with life's little hiccups, they always expressed a sense of hopelessness to me, as if they lacked a sense of true contentment.

:idunno: I don't know, maybe I met the wrong ones.

taikoo

Good question, and I am afraid that I do not have an answer for you. Those (Buddhists) that I have met were never happy. And I don't mean the regular ups and downs and hardships that life brings, I mean their general outlook on what they were experiencing seemed so...well, sad.

I truly love the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I love knowing that I am saved in the Lord. I love knowing that He died so that I might live. This brings me the strength to deal with all the bumps in my life. Even when I am in despair, I am...well, happy. When I have had discussions with the Buddhists that I have known (some of whom I consider friends) about dealing with life's little hiccups, they always expressed a sense of hopelessness to me, as if they lacked a sense of true contentment.

Curious how you know these things. how do you know you are saved?

As for Buddhists, who is sad or etc, lots of Buddhists in my family. Im what you could call a Jack-Buddhist. As in 99% non practicing.

People in my family are all different except for one thing, which is HK is a very stressful high pressure place to live, and nobody is immune to that. It wont help to be Christian in that setting!

Going back to visit, Im glad I dont live there anymore!

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Curious how you know these things. how do you know you are saved?

As for Buddhists, who is sad or etc, lots of Buddhists in my family. Im what you could call a Jack-Buddhist. As in 99% non practicing.

People in my family are all different except for one thing, which is HK is a very stressful high pressure place to live, and nobody is immune to that. It wont help to be Christian in that setting!
Going back to visit, Im glad I dont live there anymore!

Thank you for your feedback...

More on this, in a round about way, but in a new thread...stay tuned.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
in all fairness....beyond personal bias

in all fairness....beyond personal bias

Of course you cant always judge a philosophical system or way of life by its adherents, - also I'd suggest actually doing sufficient research and contemplation on the precepts of Buddhism so the meanings and values are clear and translate themselves in everyday living, practical application. One cannot judge a religious culture or philosophy without giving it a fair and adequate investigation. See my previous posts. Also just because one claims to be happy in their own "personally chosen religion" does not discount the happiness other feel from within their own. - that leaves more study, research and investigation before we 'judge' ...doesnt it.

Buddhism (wiki)

pj

Status
Not open for further replies.