toldailytopic: "Soup kitchens": Do they help or hurt the homeless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Poor little victim.
The victim mentality is for those who care.

You asked the stupid question first. I said "yes." You avoided answering.
:bang:

I asked a rhetorical question to make a point. You read the words on the page, but you clearly didn't understand that point.

Sure do. Matthew 7:1-2 (KJV)
Try v3-5, as well. Jesus didn't stop speaking at verse 2.

[Jesus]Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.[/Jesus]

You might want to give v5 a try. You know, since you're a hypocrite and all.

You ignored them.
Must have been inconsequential then.

A flash of mature brilliance. :jolly:
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln
Piety visits the hypocrite.
:yawn:

:rotfl: :blabla:
Mocking Christ's sacrifice? Okay, have it your way. Flame broiled.

Granite

Hall of Fame
"I hope you're enjoying the program as much as we enjoy bringing it to you." -- Anonymous radio announcer. :jolly:

:rotfl:

Seriously, keep this up!

Because you had to be a big shot, didn't you
You had to open up your mouth
You had to be a big shot, didn't you
All your friends were so knocked out
You had to have the last word, last night

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
I was quoting you granite then i was going to reply to it when life disrupted me. Your point was that something was better than nothing. Nothing is better sometimes when the food is handed out without qualification. There is a difference between the truly needy and those without the motivation to provide for themself. If someone is willing to sleep outside in frigid weather, then they truly need help. People need help getting their lives on track more than they need the next meal. There is a lot of work that is beneath many people. Should these people get a free meal if they are unwilling to take these jobs? Something may be better than nothing in some cases, but just a meal and nothing more doesnt do the person or society any good.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Jeff. I wasnt talking about individuals giving food, i was speaking of organizations. Even so, if i have food to give, i will give it but if he comes back again, i will take steps to get his life back in order.

Arthur Brain

Jeff. I wasnt talking about individuals giving food, i was speaking of organizations. Even so, if i have food to give, i will give it but if he comes back again, i will take steps to get his life back in order.

Well what steps would those be exactly?

Granite

Hall of Fame
I was quoting you granite then i was going to reply to it when life disrupted me. Your point was that something was better than nothing. Nothing is better sometimes when the food is handed out without qualification. There is a difference between the truly needy and those without the motivation to provide for themself. If someone is willing to sleep outside in frigid weather, then they truly need help. People need help getting their lives on track more than they need the next meal. There is a lot of work that is beneath many people. Should these people get a free meal if they are unwilling to take these jobs? Something may be better than nothing in some cases, but just a meal and nothing more doesnt do the person or society any good.

I'd err on the side of feeding them.

nicholsmom

I'd err on the side of feeding them.

So did Christ command us who would follow Him:

"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you.

"If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that. And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' lend to 'sinners,' expecting to be repaid in full. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

Luke 6:27-36

Also found in Matthew 5:39-48

These passages are very straight-forward and specific, and so should be used to help us understand other, less direct, more ambiguous passages.

nicholsmom

There is a difference between the truly needy and those without the motivation to provide for themself.
Yes there is. But is there a difference in the way we are to respond when they ask for help? Not according to Christ who said, "... give to any who ask..." Christ didn't equivocate on this point, in fact, He mentions this in a diatribe on how we are to treat the wicked - enemies and users. Have a good look at the end of Matthew 5.

There is a lot of work that is beneath many people. Should these people get a free meal if they are unwilling to take these jobs?
If you mean "do they deserve a free meal" then no, they don't. If you mean, really, should they get it - yes, if they have asked for it. Christ doesn't equivocate: "give to any who ask"

Something may be better than nothing in some cases, but just a meal and nothing more doesnt do the person or society any good.
Who said that you can't give more than a meal?

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
The victim mentality is for those who care.

:bang:

I asked a rhetorical question to make a point. You read the words on the page, but you clearly didn't understand that point.

Try v3-5, as well. Jesus didn't stop speaking at verse 2.

[Jesus]Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.[/Jesus]

You might want to give v5 a try. You know, since you're a hypocrite and all.

Must have been inconsequential then.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

:yawn:

Mocking Christ's sacrifice? Okay, have it your way. Flame broiled.
:darwinsm:
"When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."
-Will Rogers

Status
Not open for further replies.