toldailytopic: "Soup kitchens": Do they help or hurt the homeless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
You took the position that I was acting childishly, then made a juvenile comment. I told you that you should grow up as a way to call you on your hypocrisy.
Way to go, :Brandon: ! Simply ignore anything but your own :blabla:.
:rotfl:

Better start prepping up for Matthew 7:2 (KJV).

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
If you've ever been hungry, and I mean over 24 hours without anything to eat you have an inkling of need.
To feed the hungry, to share from my excess, without questions, is a mandate from the Lord God.
I asked the question what is charitable giving? How much is enough?
The answer I received was, 10 percent of your time, talent and money in any workable combination for you, is mandated. Anything beyond that is charitable.
And "enough" is when you do what is in front of you to do.
Note to the ever-beautiful bybee: Go for it!

On another note: May I "rest my case" after I've had some fun with it? :jolly:

Granite

Hall of Fame
If you've ever been hungry, and I mean over 24 hours without anything to eat you have an inkling of need.
To feed the hungry, to share from my excess, without questions, is a mandate from the Lord God.
I asked the question what is charitable giving? How much is enough?
The answer I received was, 10 percent of your time, talent and money in any workable combination for you, is mandated. Anything beyond that is charitable.
And "enough" is when you do what is in front of you to do.

To deny that soup kitchens help the least of our society is heartless, cold, callous, and beyond mean-spirited.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
To deny that soup kitchens help the least of our society is heartless, cold, callous, and beyond mean-spirited.

Only if you are of the same mentality that giving drug addicts clean needles for their habit "helps" them.

Sure, they are less likely to get disease, but does it really "help" them in the long run?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Only if you are of the same mentality that giving drug addicts clean needles for their habit "helps" them.
Well, no, vc. Needles facilitate an ill. Food doesn't. It's an absolute good. Now a man who is full can look for work or the next meal, but it's a far different animal at the root.

Arthur Brain

Sure, they are less likely to get disease, but does it really "help" them in the long run?

Well TH has already addressed this but if I can add....

How does giving people even temporary nourishment not amount to help? Sure, it's short term but food is a universal requirement and in itself is addressing a basic need for the time. How does depriving people of this amount to any good in either the short or long term?

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well, no, vc. Needles facilitate an ill. Food doesn't. It's an absolute good. Now a man who is full can look for work or the next meal, but it's a far different animal at the root.

You obviously haven't had a Donut Burger...

(CBS) It could be the world's unhealthiest snack. The ultimate in fast-food indulgence is cooked up, not by a restaurant chain, but by a minor-league baseball club, reports CBS News correspondent Cynthia Bowers.

Despite having a charming ballpark just outside St. Louis, the Gateway Grizzlies will likely never be renowned for their brand of baseball — one step below Single-A ball.

But they're already famous at the concession stand. Or should that be infamous?

It's sweet like a doughnut, and then you've got the hamburger. You’ve read that right. It's a burger with cheese and bacon, sandwiched between a Krispy Kreme doughnut — a heart attack waiting to happen. A burger so perfect, they say, tampering is discouraged.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well TH has already addressed this but if I can add....

How does giving people even temporary nourishment not amount to help? Sure, it's short term but food is a universal requirement and in itself is addressing a basic need for the time. How does depriving people of this amount to any good in either the short or long term?

It isn't about the temporary that I'm concerned with. It's about the long-term dependency. I know...for some it doesn't turn out that way, but I experienced so many of the latter when I voluntered that it gave me a rather sour stomach towards the whole idea.

I am not anti-help for members of our society that are in need, I just think that soup kitchens are the wrong answer.

Granite

Hall of Fame
It isn't about the temporary that I'm concerned with. It's about the long-term dependency. I know...for some it doesn't turn out that way, but I experienced so many of the latter when I voluntered that it gave me a rather sour stomach towards the whole idea.

I am not anti-help for members of our society that are in need, I just think that soup kitchens are the wrong answer.

So what's the right answer? You can't beat something with nothing.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Do you really think the
destitute do what they do
because they are lazy or
that they want to be a little
immoral?
---Selaphiel. Those are major reasons many people get into a situation of destitution.

Arthur Brain

Do you really think the
destitute do what they do
because they are lazy or
that they want to be a little
immoral?
---Selaphiel. Those are major reasons many people get into a situation of destitution.

There's many reasons why people end up in such a predicament and they're certainly not all "self inflicted". It seems easier to sit in judgement of those less fortunate though doesn't it?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Pride in self-righteousness. :DK:
What self-righteousness?

Yes. You?
:doh:

Yes. You are oblivious to the consequences of your own actions.

Proverbs 16:18-19 (KJV)
What consequences?

I judge by His standards, and I've been judged by those standards. Want to know the result? I was found guilty. But Jesus took my place, and so I lean on Him, because I'm useless when it comes to righteousness.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
What self-righteousness?
The hypocrisy that others can be judged by you while you remain blameless.
Thought so.
What consequences?
Exactly my point.
I judge by His standards, and I've been judged by those standards. Want to know the result? I was found guilty. But Jesus took my place, and so I lean on Him, because I'm useless when it comes to righteousness.
So you want it both ways. Not surprising.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
The hypocrisy that others can be judged by you while you remain blameless.
So more false accusations...

Thought so.
I posted the verse. Asking me if I read it is a stupid question.

Exactly my point.
Do you even remember what your point was?

You can't even come up with a single consequence that I'm supposedly going to face. Shut up.

So you want it both ways. Not surprising.
What I want is irrelevant. What He did for me is all that matters.

He did it for you too, but you don't seem to want to believe that.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
So more false accusations...
Poor little victim.
I posted the verse. Asking me if I read it is a stupid question.
You asked the stupid question first. I said "yes." You avoided answering.
Do you even remember what your point was?
Sure do. Matthew 7:1-2 (KJV)
You can't even come up with a single consequence that I'm supposedly going to face.
You ignored them.
A flash of mature brilliance. :jolly:
What I want is irrelevant. What He did for me is all that matters.
Piety visits the hypocrite.
He did it for you too, but you don't seem to want to believe that.
:rotfl: :blabla:

Status
Not open for further replies.