toldailytopic: Should prostitution be universally legalized?

Status
Not open for further replies.

El DLo

I'm in agreement with the regulated but legalized standpoint. I think it should absolutely be kept to brothels, admittance to such a place would of course require one to verify that they were of age (to offer services or to partake in them), all workers would need to be regularly tested to prove that they are disease free, and as said, there should be plenty of taxes on it.

The thing is, sex sells. No matter how illegal or frowned upon it could ever be, it's always going to sell, and that's especially true for actual sex. Instead of pretending it doesn't exist, the government would be better off benefiting from it.

Newman

Sure. Why not? Depends entirely, one would hope, on whether the particular law or principle was just and effective.

Understand that, as a Christian, free from the law for righteousness, I don't have to care and really shouldn't care about any spiritual aspect of these laws. There no salvation or damnation aspect to any of this. Solely whether the law or legal principle is wise. I look here first because these laws were written and given by God Himself and so are a reliable source for such.

Do you think the punishments should be the same?

What if somebody resists the punishment?

Should I be shot at if I evade arrest for cutting the hair next to my ear? I did that yesterday, by the way.

bybee

Well

Well

I'm in agreement with the regulated but legalized standpoint. I think it should absolutely be kept to brothels, admittance to such a place would of course require one to verify that they were of age (to offer services or to partake in them), all workers would need to be regularly tested to prove that they are disease free, and as said, there should be plenty of taxes on it.

The thing is, sex sells. No matter how illegal or frowned upon it could ever be, it's always going to sell, and that's especially true for actual sex. Instead of pretending it doesn't exist, the government would be better off benefiting from it.

My Yarmulked brother! That being said, I advocate the publishing of the pictures of all customers and the services which they have requested in the local papers. So, if the local minister is into bondage or threesomes, etc. his congregation would have a "heads-up" on his affinities.
If it is legal to do something and someone chooses to do it then he ought not be ashamed to show that he is doing it?
By the same token, those of us who disapprove of such behavior have the option of pronouncing "Anathema" on the behavior and its practitioners.

bybee

Well

Well

Should I be shot at if I evade arrest for cutting the hair next to my ear? I did that yesterday, by the way.

No, you should not be shot. BUT! you should be gagged for 24 hours for speciousness in debate! I award you :party:

Granite

Hall of Fame
My Yarmulked brother! That being said, I advocate the publishing of the pictures of all customers and the services which they have requested in the local papers. So, if the local minister is into bondage or threesomes, etc. his congregation would have a "heads-up" on his affinities.
If it is legal to do something and someone chooses to do it then he ought not be ashamed to show that he is doing it?
By the same token, those of us who disapprove of such behavior have the option of pronouncing "Anathema" on the behavior and its practitioners.

Yeah, well, it's legal to use public restrooms, too, or eat Rocky Mountain Oysters, but how many of us would want a snapshot taken? Also, bottomline, even if prostitution's legal, we're still talking about behavior that is private. Broadcasting it might give a cheap thrill to prudes opposed to it but not really accomplish much.

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
Legalized prostitution might not be a bad idea for the US.
It's already legal in Nevada,of course.
Are you aware that during the middle ages,the Church in Europe
approved of legalized brothels because it realized that unmarried men need a sexual outlet? It acknowledged that while legalized prostitution was distasteful,it was a necessary evil.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Typically I do.
Such as?
Do you think that should be outlawed? To what extent? Misdemeanor, felony? How do we normally determine whether shooting a fleeing suspect is justified? Is that just? Do think we should change how we determine that?

I think you're assuming a lot I haven't said. And possibly some things I've specifically denied. As I've said, I determine what laws I would support and advocate, as well as what criminal justice system enforces them, entirely by what I think is wise, just and effective. Trusting God's judgment, wisdom and just character, I find looking to the Mosaic Law a no brainer.

bybee

Very interesting! ?

Very interesting! ?

Are you aware that during the middle ages,the Church in Europe
approved of legalized brothels because it realized that unmarried men need a sexual outlet? It acknowledged that while legalized prostitution was distasteful,it was a necessary evil.

Interesting how men decide that what men "need" is the services of female flesh. Women of lower classes were fair game to members of the upper classes, which included the clergy.
How many married men frequented these brothels?
Only the fear of being banned keeps me from further statements.

bybee

Well

Well

Yeah, well, it's legal to use public restrooms, too, or eat Rocky Mountain Oysters, but how many of us would want a snapshot taken? Also, bottomline, even if prostitution's legal, we're still talking about behavior that is private. Broadcasting it might give a cheap thrill to prudes opposed to it but not really accomplish much.
I did not suggest that the "behavior" be broadcast, merely the customers.
It does not matter what we want. If it is legal there are options.
And it could accomplish a great deal!

Granite

Hall of Fame
I did not suggest that the "behavior" be broadcast, merely the customers.
It does not matter what we want. If it is legal there are options.
And it could accomplish a great deal!

Two things: one, it would shame people who aren't breaking the law; or, it could embolden johns, and just make them more brazen.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Make your case.
Who cares?
Are you aware that during the middle ages,the Church in Europe approved of legalized brothels because it realized that unmarried men need a sexual outlet?
But they were wrong...so who cares?
It acknowledged that while legalized prostitution was distasteful,it was a necessary evil.
But they were wrong...so who cares?

I think, when you get around the weird idea men seem to have that they'll explode or something if they don't have sex with women regularly, such as TheHorn seems to be infected with here, you're left with a fairly simple determination. Is it too dangerous/unhealthy to allow?

Does sexual intercourse have a profound psychological effect on human beings? I think that's well established. Is frequent sexual intercourse with a wide variety of strangers unhealthy, not only physically but mentally? Again, I think that's been established. Does this make prostitution unhealthy, enough that it should be outlawed? I think the case could be made.

The thing that always seems to get in the way of judging this objectively and rationally is the complete inability many have of judging anything remotely sexual with any objectively at all.

Nydhogg

That's because sexuality, as most private human interactions, is part og expression, which is held to be a right.

Nydhogg

To your claims that it might be just to criminalize consensual sex.

It's not. It's outright tyranny: Like censorship. Like gun control. Like drug prohibition. Aberrations that should have never been considered AT ALL, much less enacted

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
To your claims that it might be just to criminalize consensual sex.

It's not. It's outright tyranny: Like censorship. Like gun control. Like drug prohibition. Aberrations that should have never been considered AT ALL, much less enacted
Ah, okay. Then no, I disagree. We outlaw speech that is harmful, so even approaching sex as a form of speech :)squint:) does not except it from the law.

Nydhogg

Between freedom of expression and the repulsive laws of your "holy" book, I pick freedom of expression.

So would every freedom-loving person. Human interaction is expression. As long as nobody's rights are being violated, it shouldn't be regulated at all, and any regulation whatsoever is prima facie tyrannical.

bybee

Well dearie

Well dearie

Two things: one, it would shame people who aren't breaking the law; or, it could embolden johns, and just make them more brazen.

Number one, if one is doing something of which one is ashamed ought one to continue such behavior? I think not!
Like, I hide when I wish to eat six or more cookies. It is just unseemly!
If one is self-indulgent enough to break the fidelity of one's marriage vows does not the partner of such a" load of crud" deserve to know what is going on?
Secondly, by definition a "john" is emboldened by his self-indulgence and sexual obsessions and not by what society thinks anyway.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Between freedom of expression and the repulsive laws of your "holy" book, I pick freedom of expression.

So would every freedom-loving person.
Well, since no one's suggesting these are our only options I don't see what it has to do with anything. :idunno:
Human interaction is expression.
So when someone robs a convenience store, that's expression? That's certainly some human interaction going on there as well as some expression of "I want your stuff, gimme or I shoot youz!"
As long as nobody's rights are being violated, it shouldn't be regulated at all, and any regulation whatsoever is prima facie tyrannical.
And if prostitution is unhealthy or dangerous enough, to either the john, the prostitute or both, then...well, there you go. What exactly are you arguing with me about? :liberals:

bybee

Well

Well

So would every freedom-loving person. Human interaction is expression. As long as nobody's rights are being violated, it shouldn't be regulated at all, and any regulation whatsoever is prima facie tyrannical.

There, there Mr. Hogg, you are free to be as repulsive as you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.