Ask Knight (Archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
After fidding around with different avatars I have decided the tree looks best on me.
Inzl, fyi... you are a great addition to TOL but please don't report so many posts. :)

Save the post reporting for the posts that are actual infractions and rules violations.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation. :up:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I will make it my policy from now on if a user become nasty and unresponsive, he will be placed on ignore. Let him be other people's problem.

Could you code it so that ignored users cannot access the reps of the person ignoring them? There is another that is very close to getting placed on ignore and he is one that abuses the rep system.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Could you code it so that ignored users cannot access the reps of the person ignoring them? There is another that is very close to getting placed on ignore and he is one that abuses the rep system.
The system may already do that. But i'm not sure.

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
I will make it my policy from now on if a user become nasty and unresponsive, he will be placed on ignore. Let him be other people's problem.

Being non-responsive is a matter of opinion.

For example, if I wrote something on here, TOL, and then went off on a mission trip for two weeks.

Would you report me because I was non-responsive because I was busy those last two weeks?

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I would just place you on ignore if you became unresponsive and kept name calling. The user I blocked kept saying the same things and resorting to cheap name calling. He would not even debate.

Unresponsive means saying the same thing over and over again and not engaging in the debate. This member wouldn't answer people questions, but would say snarky things instead.

Being absent is not an offense.

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
I would just place you on ignore if you became unresponsive and kept name calling.

But what does non-responsive really mean and why are these kinds of forums treated like instant messaging text-like messaging exchanges instantly online, not to be confused with real forums on other sites which responses may span several days or weeks without being declared as non-responsive, question mark?

Knight should clarify what it means to be non-responsive. I do not understand why we are so not patient at this site. People have already told me that they expect me to always be online. If they write something to me while I am at work or while I am at school or while I am at church or with friends or doing missions then they still want me to respond back seconds after they write something to me. We should have some patience on this site. Of course, people can and do get un-responsive in other bad ways, and that is bad if they are to ignore you or to skip you or to be tooooooooo slow at responding back, but at the same time, can we not love people here regardless of their shortcomings?

Can we not be more patient here and simply wait weeks for responses?

And have I ever named called anybody by the way? Sorry if I have.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...Knight should clarify what it means to be non-responsive.
It's never been much of an issue. The reasonable man understands that people have lives...work, family, holidays, etc.

I do not understand why we are so not patient at this site. People have already told me that they expect me to always be online.
Link to that. :plain:

If they write something to me while I am at work or while I am at school or while I am at church or with friends or doing missions then they still want me to respond back seconds after they write something to me.
I don't believe that anyone ever said that to you Joey. This is part of the reason many people don't engage you.

People who start thread after thread and fail to return and show interest in their own work will quickly be viewed that way. People who let long periods of time elapse without explanation will be similarly thought of, as will people who don't actually respond to points raised, but appear to use any answer as a launching pad for their next harangue.

Can we not be more patient here and simply wait weeks for responses?
No. Part of what makes a forum work is the nature of the interaction. You want to comment on that time scale then you should start a blog.

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
I treat this place more like a blog then, than a forum.

I have never said that I was going to not respond back to the different threads that I have engaged in. I have never said that I have disregarded what people told me on here. I have never not appreciated anything and everything that I have received here. I have never said that I was going to ignore anything or anybody. My lack of responding is due to being busy in my own life. You have to wait for me to get back to each person and we will see what happens. I am also brand new to these type of communities.

I will have to find the link to all the times when people are not patient with me. Some days I write something and then I don't come back online until 24 hours later. And I come back to people saying "Oh, you are non engaging with me, how rude." I get that here and I don't get that at other sites at all. But I do also get this on instant chatting, IM, you know, at other places, too.

But I have never named called. I try not being patient. But even when I am not patient, then people tell me that I am writing too much, that I need to go educated, read scriptures, do my homework, and then get back to them on it.

So either I am too slow and people get mad at me or I am too fast at responding and people get mad at me.

It seems like people get mad at me no matter what I do.

People should appreciate whatever that I give them.

Again, I am either:
1. Too slow at responding back to threads
2. Or too quick at responding back to threads, with too many comments

3. But what is yelling, shouting, you know? I call it style.
4. And why are people so in a hurry here.
5. But then they complain that this place lacks spiritual depth in it due to rapid dialog transaction exchanges.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The member i mention just makes himself look dumb. I got tired of wasting my time on him. At least the Horn responds in debate.

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
Looking dumb is a matter of opinion.

If I said that God was dumb then does that make God dumb?

And if you say I made myself look dumb, does that magically turn me dumb?

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Joey you are missing the point. This does not concern you at all.

Absent does not mean looking dumb.

Making snarky name calling replies instead of debating = looking stupid.

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
Joey you are missing the point. This does not concern you at all.

Absent does not mean looking dumb.

Making snarky name calling replies instead of debating = looking stupid.

I don't name call. My brain also thinks differently than anybody I have ever met or seen or have heard of. How I see the world is very unique. I must have rode the short bus. But I don't make fun of people. But I do make word plays or illustrations or I play with words in order to emphasize things and make points and tell stories to bring out truth in new creative ways and these things do indirectly concern me hugely and what I do should be re-evaluated and reconsidered first.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
OK, folks this is the Ask Knight thread so unless you have other questions for me can you take the conversation elsewhere? Thanks.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
:think:

You still a mile high on Tebow in Colorado or are you angling for better Luck next year? :D
I'm a Tebow guy. Luck is good but he doesn't strike me as dramatically different from 80% of all the other QB's in the league. Tebow has the "it" factor, which makes the Broncos fun to watch regardless of how the season is going.

Status
Not open for further replies.