toldailytopic: Is it wrong to teach children that Santa Claus is real?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 22nd, 2010 11:47 AM

toldailytopic: Is it wrong to teach children that Santa Claus is real?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

WizardofOz

My family whines about my being honest, but I don't lie to my kids about it.

If they ask, I tell. :D

scary-santa-claus-1.jpg

Looks like a fun guy :eek:

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
We played Santa with the kids and it has not proven to be a problem. Was it right? Well, I don't think it was sinful in that we never taught our children that Santa was a god to be worshiped.

Granite

Hall of Fame
It's silly and misleading. I mean seriously, why bother--Christmas is fun with or without him.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's silly and misleading. I mean seriously, why bother--Christmas is fun with or without him.
Well said.

We teach our kids that Santa isn't real. And we of course teach them what Christmas is really about (the birth of Jesus).

But we also don't get all whacked out in the opposite direction and freak out about Christmas shows and songs that have Santa in them. Some people go too far the other way.

SaulToPaul 2

Isaiah 14
13: For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:

Satan Claus, from the sides of the North Pole.

:D

Architect

Good point...

I don't remember growing up believing in Santa. But I do remember my younger siblings did. I'm pretty sure the Santa story stopped after we were about 3-4 years old. But my younger brother and I played along while my youngest sister was still really little.

Is it wrong? Hmm... I don't think it is. Yes, it is silly and misleading. But I don't see any harm done so long as it doesn't go on beyond the age that children develop the ability to reason for themselves. Before then, I don't think it matters what you tell children. Like Granite said - "Christmas is fun with or without him." I believe, though, that once children can reason, they should be taught the birth of Jesus.

Josh

Granite

Hall of Fame
Well said.

We teach our kids that Santa isn't real. And we of course teach them what Christmas is really about (the birth of Jesus).

But we also don't get all whacked out in the opposite direction and freak out about Christmas shows and songs that have Santa in them. Some people go too far the other way.

Exactly. A kid can enjoy Rudolph even if they're wise to the truth. Other parents take it the other way, using Santa as a way to chastise bad behavior...

firon

Yes, 'tis, Knight. Old St. Nick is a name for Satan. Old St Nick goes around once a year trying to persuade children that he is the one who provides for those in need. But the Bible says Christ is the one who gives to all "Life and breath and all things."

But, a parent can take also an opposite approach by pointing out the truith to children: Santa is a fraud. He doesn't help anyone, but there is one, the Lord Jesus Christ, who is compassionate and is ALWAYS, every day, present to those whose hope rests in Him, and He "gives to all life and breath and all things."

SO THERE, ST. NICK! FORGET YOU!! boo, Satan! You fraud!

SaulToPaul 2

Yes, 'tis, Knight. Old St. Nick is a name for Satan. Old St Nick goes around once a year trying to persuade children that he is the one who provides for those in need. But the Bible says Christ is the one who gives to all "Life and breath and all things."

But, a parent can take also an opposite approach by pointing out the truith to children: Santa is a fraud. He doesn't help anyone, but there is one, the Lord Jesus Christ, who is compassionate and is ALWAYS, every day, present to those whose hope rests in Him, and He "gives to all life and breath and all things."

St Nick was from the Nicolaitanes, whose deeds God hates ?

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Well said.

We've done this the same way.
"All things in moderation."
Christmas is a good family time and a time of giving.

@Joey: *whispers*-Wilford Brimley is really Santa Claus. Aaand he likes oatmeal!

Granite

Hall of Fame

You're confusing St. Nick with Old Nick. So...yeah.

Architect

Other parents take it the other way, using Santa as a way to chastise bad behavior...

You know... I was thinking about that the other day. And if I were smart when I were a kid, I would have realized that it doesn't even make sense to use Santa as a way to chastise bad behavior! Isn't the nature of a gift something that is given without compensation? In other words, a gift is given even if it isn't necessarily deserved... Threatening that Santa will put coal in my stocking is fallacious!

Josh

Cracked

No. Santa adds wonder and joy to this time of year for Children. However, some would rather not have Santa at Christmas, and that is fine too.

Cracked

You know... I was thinking about that the other day. And if I were smart when I were a kid, I would have realized that it doesn't even make sense to use Santa as a way to chastise bad behavior! Isn't the nature of a gift something that is given without compensation? In other words, a gift is given even if it isn't necessarily deserved... Threatening that Santa will put coal in my stocking is fallacious!

Josh

I don't threaten my kids with Santa punishment. It is not a necessary part of the tradition. However, my eldest daughter has told me that Santa is going to "put me on the naughty list."

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Oh enough of the stupidity...it's just a silly story which was built up around a kind Christian Bishop living in the third century. It has nothing to do with John's Revelation or Satan.

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=38

By all means...teach you children what the true meaning of Christmas is. Don't lie to them about legends.......But for the love of Pete give up this ridiculous garbage about it being some hidden Satanic plot. To be quite honest you might as well be waving a banner over your head which says "Lookit' me, I'm a mumbling clown". :doh:

The Graphite

It is a sin to lie to your children by trying to get them to believe in mythological stories that involve magic and pagan ideas.

It is a great idea to teach your children about the real-life-but-long-gone "Saint" Nicholas of Smyrna, a bishop in 4th Century Turkey who expressed his Christian agape love for children and the poor, but who also used his authority to order the destruction of local pagan idols and institutions, including the local Temple of Artemis, which was razed to the ground on his orders. They then used those materials to build new churches, redeeming what was used for evil to bring about good.

He was a loving and compassionate man who worked hard to care for children and the poor, and who also harshly rebuked wickedness in his day. Today, he is an example for us in this way. Don't teach your children mythological lies about magic and and the supernatural, which may harm their faith someday (it certainly harmed my own, as it has many others'). Instead, raise your children up in the truth and in the teaching of the Bible.

Status
Not open for further replies.