toldailytopic: Does one need a religion to know God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 29th, 2010 11:09 AM

toldailytopic: Does one need a religion to know God?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I would say yes, one needs to know the Bible and that is the foundation of our Christian religion. Religion is didactic; we all begin knowing though instruction.

Aimiel

No. God can manifest as He wills, to whomsoever He wills. My uncle, who never heard the gospel, was convicted by The Spirit of The Lord, and came into a relationship with God, without any denomination or minister ever speaking to him. It isn't the norm, but it is possible. Adam, Moses, Abraham and many others in The Bible, knew God, without ever once being religious.

Lovejoy

I don't know. Did Adam have a religion? Maybe you do not need one if God walks with you in the garden. Other than that, very likely you do.

Buzzword

No. God can manifest as He wills, to whomsoever He wills. My uncle, who never heard the gospel, was convicted by The Spirit of The Lord, and came into a relationship with God, without any denomination or minister ever speaking to him. It isn't the norm, but it is possible. Adam, Moses, Abraham and many others in The Bible, knew God, without ever once being religious.

Wow.....um......I agree.

God isn't limited to even one set of Scriptures in how He can speak.

Anyone, anything, anytime can be His tools in revealing Himself and His will.
Many times, those who experience Him WITHOUT the trappings of dogma come to know him more intimately than those who just go through the motions every Sunday/Sabbath/Friday morning.

Aimiel

When standing in His Presence, there won't be denominations or even 'those guys' and 'those other guys.' We will all know Him as we are known by Him; because we will see Him as He is. In the presence of Truth, the very thoughts of God are revealed, and no un-truth can exist un-exposed.

Lovejoy

Hey, you two! Keep your hands off my dogma! I need that to whip myself up into a frenzy of indignation for those who do not share it. It is good for my blood pressure.

Aimiel

God decided to have His Word written down, so that men wouldn't have to wonder. Those with true religion are found doing God's Will, not the will of men. It isn't God's will that men sit in pews and complain about wasting their time listening to a false preacher preach false religion about a false god. God wants men that will listen to Him.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
God decided to have His Word written down, so that men wouldn't have to wonder. Those with true religion are found doing God's Will, not the will of men. It isn't God's will that men sit in pews and complain about wasting their time listening to a false preacher preach false religion about a false god. God wants men that will listen to Him.

Anyone can write a book.

Anyone else can study a book.

If enough people study the same book, it becomes a religion.

Aimiel

God watches over His Word, to perform it. All who seek and search for Him will all of their hearts will find Him, as He has promised. He has yet to be proven a liar.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
God watches over His Word, to perform it. All who seek and search for Him will all of their hearts will find Him, as He has promised. He has yet to be proven a liar.

You know if you tell yourself the same lie, you will eventually convince yourself that it's the truth.

Aimiel

Exactly. The original lie, "You shall not surely die," is believed by yourself, and everyone else who follows Satan.

nanonator

The Gospel must be read [Bible/NT] or preached

Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Rom 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
Rom 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
Rom 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

True/pure religion, according to the NT:

Jas 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

There are millions of people who have come to believe in Jesus Christ without a religious system.

Buzzword

Persephone66 said:
Anyone can write a book.

Anyone else can study a book.

If enough people study the same book, it becomes a religion.

Wait, so does that mean Lord of the Rings is a religion?

If so, WHY DIDN'T ANYBODY TELL ME?! :duh:

Status
Not open for further replies.