toldailytopic: Are we out of the recession or is the worst still yet to come?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 11th, 2010 09:34 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Don't worry about it, the worst is yet to come.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I hear some folks saying the DOW is going to climbing slowly from here on out. Other folks are saying there is still another bubble yet to burst and it's gonna be very painful.

I wonder which opinion is more likely to be valid?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
there will be a complete financial collapse
there is no way to avoid it
hopefully the delay with all this borrowed money
will give us time to reintroduce the barter system
which
will help keep the local economy going

madman

I hear some folks saying the DOW is going to climbing slowly from here on out. Other folks are saying there is still another bubble yet to burst and it's gonna be very painful.

I wonder which opinion is more likely to be valid?
I'm not convinced that the Dow is an indicator on the health of the economy.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I don't see things getting any better within the next decade. If I had any plans to retire within the next 10-15 years I would be sweating right now. :plain:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
there will be a complete financial collapse
there is no way to avoid it
hopefully the delay with all this borrowed money
will give us time to reintroduce the barter system
which
will help keep the local economy going

Unfortunately I can see this "worst case scenario" as being very possible. :sigh:

madman

How could you quantify that for the entire economy?

Are we as a nation doing that?
I'm just saying that a healthy economy will have a great many people spending money they earn, rather than spending money they don't have.

I don't think we are doing that.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm just saying that a healthy economy will have a great many people spending money they earn, rather than spending money they don't have.

I don't think we are doing that.
But are they really connected?

Couldn't a government be spending responsibly while the populous is spending like drunken sailors with credit? (or vice versa)

madman

But are they really connected?

Couldn't a government be spending responsibly while the populous is spending like drunken sailors with credit? (or vice versa)
I could be wrong, but I believe that the economy's health is indicated by spending associated with the people. The government spending can and does effect that, but I don't think that the economy is healthy unless the populous personal spending is healthy. Even if the populous is forced into no longer using credit, unless their debts are eliminated, they are still slaves and the economy is unhealthy.

Of course, I'm not up on economics, I just think that the big picture is no different than the little picture.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I'm not a financial genius, so these are only opinions; but I don't the country and economics are in some serious close to the edge of an almost non-reversible trouble.

How about bail-outs? or about tough it out? Would it come to bail-out the bail-outs?

Out of recession or is the worse yet to come?

You all know me well enough that I'm a very cheerful, caring person, but you know TOLer's it just isn't looking real good for the US economy. The worst is yet to come? Everyone will be touched by financial shifts one way or the other.

• It will stair step up for a while.
  • The gap between the have's and the have not's will get bigger.
  • The middle class will be carrying a burden that will be a crushing burden.
  • Then decline in stair step fashion.
  • With a house of financial cards, pull one card and . . . oops.
  • Tax and spend our nation into a debtor nation, and become like other third world country.
  • Even the safe guards, checks and balances cannot keep a nation total collapse.
SSI will not get an increase in 2011, but Medicare parts A, B, C, D, will go up. But SSI taxes will go up.

Health care financially will become a what you can afford, of a it will get more costly deal, we'll have to shop around for the best deal; I had a kidney stone a year ago that had a total cost of $10,000, that included 6 hours in the hospital, my cost was 20% plus the extra meds and doctors visits, in a situation like that, shop around :madmad: ... :mmph: !!@#%%&##!! :shut:

The worst is yet to come. And it does rain on the just and the unjust alike.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I don't see things getting any better within the next decade. If I had any plans to retire within the next 10-15 years I would be sweating right now.

I am. I have plans to continue working part time.

I figure we have one more big hit from business loans coming due in the next year or so. If we survive that, we're going to be O.K. But I don't know how that's going to go. It's already cramping the recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.