toldailytopic: Jehovah's Witnesses. What do they have wrong? What do they have right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 10th, 2010 10:11 AM

toldailytopic: Jehovah's Witnesses. What do they have wrong? What do they have right?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

nicholsmom

They have their own version of the Bible wherein they change the meaning of many passages by having re-written them to their liking. After that, it's all downhill...

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Well....I could probably draw up quite a list of things which they have wrong (in my opinion, that is) but the only thing which is important is their insistence upon a works maintained Salvation.

This is dangerous and indicates lack of "Saving" Faith. :plain:

Krsto

Their bible, the New World Translation, is one of the best, far more accurate than the KJV, with the exception of a few notable places. Most JW's I've talked to are far more knowledgable about the bible than most Christians I've talked to so are able to have an intelligent conversation about the Word, unlike most Christians. I don't agree with their Christology but to me that's not as big a problem as their exclusivism (same beef I have with Catholicism, the Orthodox Church, Mormons, and the 7th Day Adventists in some parts of the world). The biggest issue I have with them is the same I have with the Catholic and Mormon Churches, they do not allow for private interpretation. As a small example, I don't think I could celebrate birthdays and Christmas and be a soldier in the army if I were a JW and still be in good standing.

Sleepy Time

I don't agree with their Christology but to me that's not as big a problem as their exclusivism (same beef I have with Catholicism, the Orthodox Church, Mormons, and the 7th Day Adventists in some parts of the world) /QUOTE]
AND Protestant, and many here at TOL. Our exclusive way, or the highway!
I do appreciate their zeal, and unlike many, their non-combativeness.
As MarkP said, they are basically taught that Christ is not God, yes, a Person we need to submit our lives to but...not God.
Ironically, I was just visited by a pair of JW's 30 minutes ago. I mentioned my Faith, my trips to the monastary (although not Catholic) and tried to bring us together in a common belief. They thanked me and went on their way but, I hope,put a seed of doubt in their exclusiveness (maybe not)
The Trinity is hard to understand (even the Bible is vague on it)
IMO, probably flawed, we should never be combative with a JW at our door. Share our faith, let them know our committment as Christians, and leave them to ponder that. As Christians, we should realize they're not Islamic, or Buddist, etc...or someone that wears a watermelon on their head and bays at the moon like a dog. They ARE in the right ballpark, but just not understanding the rules of the game.
My weak $0.02

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
What do they have wrong? They bother people at their homes and at bus stops and try to get them to join their crazy cult. They think there's an invisible man in the sky.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 10th, 2010 10:11 AM

They deny the deity of Jesus Christ.

Thus, they prove to be anti-christs.

Therefore, all their teachings are unbiblical, futile, and downright spiritually dangerous.

Nang

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Therefore, all their teachings are unbiblical, futile, and downright spiritually dangerous.

Nang
Exactly. If a group willfully denies the Trinitarian God of Scripture, (One God who eternally exists in three different personal subsistences, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, all of whom are fully God, all of whom are equal), they and its members who assent to the same are anathema.

AMR

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
The NWT is NOT an accurate version, but sectarian. It systematically tries to remove the Deity of Christ, twisting Scripture to their own destruction.

They have many extra/contrabiblical beliefs and practices.

Positively, they claim to believe in Scripture (but mistranslate and misinterpret it). They are very organized in their proselytizing work. Most members are eventually indoctrinated enough to be door to door salesman of WT literature and beliefs. They have zeal without knowledge, though many JWs struggle to be good workers in the organization that demands so much of them.

With Mormons, they are among the largest and most influential pseudo-Christian cults today.

http://www.freeminds.org/

http://www.bible.ca/jw.htm

bybee

Agreed!

Agreed!

Exactly. If a group willfully denies the Trinitarian God of Scripture, (One God who eternally exists in three different personal subsistences, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, all of whom are fully God, all of whom are equal), they and its members who assent to the same are anathema.

AMR

They are relentless proselytizers and skilled at providing off-side answers to questions on their belief system.
bybee

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

Nang

I agree with you here
but
can you add the specific argument as to why they would be considered antichrist?

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I agree with you here
but
can you add the specific argument as to why they would be considered antichrist?
Nang would likely agree with the following:

1 Jn 2:22 Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son.

1 Jn 4:3 and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already.

2 Jn 1:7 For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist.

AMR

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

1 Jn 2:22 Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son.

1 Jn 4:3 and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already.

2 Jn 1:7 For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist.

AMR

thank you
but
I am aware of those passages
but
also aware of those who claim
that
Jesus is the Christ and the Son of God
but
not God
so
how do you address this?

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
thank you
but
I am aware of those passages
but
also aware of those who claim
that
Jesus is the Christ and the Son of God
but
not God
so
how do you address this?
For starters, by noting that Scripture teaches us that Jesus Christ cannot be less than fully God in His divinity.

His atoning sacrifice had to be of infinite worth for my sins, for your sins, or anyone else's sins. Re-read that previous sentence again. If Christ died only for you and no one else, and you only sinned once, Christ's sacrifice still had to be of infinite worth. Only God meets this criteria.

Probably best that you start another thread or join one of the dozens of threads by heretical arians to discuss this further.

AMR

Nang

TOL Subscriber

AMR

Nang agrees . . .

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Who's the authority to determine this?

All believers with the illumination of the Spirit and sound research.

If one compares their NWT and Greek KIT, it becomes apparent that they have shoddy scholarship. JWs have also used and published the KJV, yet have grossly heretical ideas while reading it. KJV-only does not ensure accurate interpretation (your own camp disagrees about many doctrines/interpretations of verses).

Status
Not open for further replies.