toldailytopic: Why do atheists spend so much time on Christian forums such as Theolog

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
In fact, many "atheists" have a better understanding of the second part of The Greatest Commandment (love of neighbor) than some of those who claim to be Christians.

Very astute comment

All one has to do is go over to the "Exclusively Christian" section for proof.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Rep for those that dont' love their neighbor enough to let them know their house is burning down.

WizardofOz

You argued about which was better between Star Wars and Star Trek?:loser:

No, what gave you that idea? :kookoo:

Later today, I am totally going to a sports forum to tell everyone how the Bulls during the Jordan era were SSOOOOOOO much better than the current Laker's team.

You'd think it would be obvious. Man, these Laker fans are completely deluding themselves. If I share my well reasoned insight with them, they'll see things my way.

WizardofOz

Rep for those that dont' love their neighbor enough to let them know their house is burning down.

Your house is burning down, you should get out!

vs.

You're such a complete moron and an idiot. How did you fail to notice your house burning down? Are you retarded? I am going to deride you for the rest of your life for your stupidity. [/Nick M Style]

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
toldailytopic: Why do atheists spend so much time on Christian forums such as TheologyOnline.com -

As a Christian who is currently enrolled in a Masters of Theological Studies program on a part-time basis, I tend to find myself more in agreement with the "atheists" on the social, economic and political issues.

In fact, many "atheists" have a better understanding of the second part of The Greatest Commandment (love of neighbor) than some of those who claim to be Christians.

but doesn't that include tolerating others beliefs?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
What is more loving: knocking someone over so they don't walk off a cliff or pushing them off the cliff while telling them you love them and that they can do whatever they want, you won't judge?

bybee

Well

Well

No, what gave you that idea? :kookoo:

Later today, I am totally going to a sports forum to tell everyone how the Bulls during the Jordan era were SSOOOOOOO much better than the current Laker's team.

You'd think it would be obvious. Man, these Laker fans are completely deluding themselves. If I share my well reasoned insight with them, they'll see things my way.

I agree with you. I have bullet proof glass in all of my windows!
bybee

Skavau

What is more loving: knocking someone over so they don't walk off a cliff or pushing them off the cliff while telling them you love them and that they can do whatever they want, you won't judge?

I've never met an atheist who says that you can do whatever you like, ever. I've never met an atheist who does not judge.

Do you people just like, make up images of atheists constantly and just assume them to be true?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I've never met an atheist who says that you can do whatever you like, ever. I've never met an atheist who does not judge.

Do you people just like, make up images of atheists constantly and just assume them to be true?
Have you ever met an atheist who believes fornication, homosexuality and abortion are perfectly moral things to do?

Also, I wasn't necessarily talking about atheists.

Skavau

Have you ever met an atheist who believes fornication, homosexuality and abortion are perfectly moral things to do?
Yes. But believing that fornication, homosexuality and abortion happen to be amoral acts has nothing to do with believing that anything is an amoral act.

Also, I wasn't necessarily talking about atheists.
It appeared as if you were comparing the attitude of a Christian (throwing someone out of the way to avoid the cliff-edge and that of an atheist who will encourage them).

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

IOW, if you don't believe in Mid Acts Dispensationalism like me (Nick M) and my MADist buddies do, (because we are the only ones that really know what the Bible says), then your house is burning down you demon, scumbag, son of satan, idiot, moron, homo, unsaved, pagan, evil pig, liar, retard, you're going to hell.

Thanks for loving me so much Nick

Lovejoy

The "new atheist" wants the RELIGION to be "destroyed." This is in stark contrast to the religious person who wants the ATHEIST to be destroyed (take the majority attitude of Christians toward homosexuals for example).

I completely disagree with you. Even if this comment were correct, I would point out the thread on the medical missionaries that were murdered. I do not blame atheists for that, but it is an evidence that Christians are willing to die for Christ, willing to give their life (not take someone elses) living out what He commanded. If this is true, what more serious thing could you attempt to destroy then their beliefs? Break the body, murder the body, who cares? We were built for that. But to tell me I cannot teach my children my beliefs? To tell me that I am immoral to do a right thing, just because I do in the name of Christ?

I am not talking about discussion about the explanatory scope of, evidence for, etc. I am talking about a whole hearted effort to remove belief from the public, prevent the teaching of beliefs to children (by their own parents), and demonize the proponents of belief. If you do not think that new atheists do this, I can tell you that you are wrong.

If all we are doing is comparing the worst Christians to the worst atheists, than this is likely a waste of time. I cannot imagine a good thing coming from it. I actually already regret my earlier posted response. Someone calls some atheists good, I remind them that some are bad. How is that helpful?

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And what would the mission accomplish?

I can understand Christians attempting to convert atheists because a Christian believes that the conversion will save the soul of the atheist.

The atheist however claims to not believe in a God and claims that morality and right and wrong are relative to the individual. Therefore... the atheist cannot make the claim that his understanding is any more right that the Christian's understanding.

I think that if a person were truly an atheist he wouldn't care what other people believe and he wouldn't waste any time of forums such as TOL.

The truth is... all atheists inherently know God exists and they participate here and other places like TOL because they are trying to convince themselves one way or the other. They seek reassurance that they can never satisfy (as an atheist that is). They have an internal battle to fight between what the know to be true but never let on (a god exists), and what they present themselves as believing (that no god exists).

Therefore... atheists participate on TOL because deep down inside they know they are wrong.
This may be the case for some persons, especially one's that may be among the elect. But I don't think it is as generally applicable as your post implies.

Deep down the non-believer knows God is, but they don't like the God who is. It is this enmity with God that brings them to the doorsteps of Christian related forums. Why would anyone be surprised to see those whose present master is the father of lies, showing up here? Christian forums are where many of the sheep can be found and deceived with shiny things from the mouths of deceivers.

I think Christians fall too easily fall into the trap of believing there is common ground between the non-believer and the believer. For me there is no common ground. After all, they hate the God that I love. They may claim otherwise, or even claim indifference, as if indifference to the most holy God is not hatred. No matter what they claim, the clear teachings from Scripture is that the non-believer hates God. This hatred permeates everything that they think, do, or say.

They hang out at these sort of forums because that is where the very representatives of the object of their hatred are congregating. The irony is that they are here for reasons not fully in their control. They will get that some day. Hopefully some will be happy.

AMR

Skavau

Deep down the non-believer knows God is, but they don't like the God who is. It is this enmity with God that brings them to the doorsteps of Christian related forums. Why would anyone be surprised to see those whose present master is the father of lies, showing up here? Christian forums are where many of the sheep can be found and deceived with shiny things from the mouths of deceivers.
What is this bigotry? Do you imagine all atheists congegrate on religious forums, or Christian forums? What do you say to the atheists that congregate on Islamic forums (as I have done myself). Do they secretely believe that the Islamic rendition of God is?

In addition, why do you imagine that someone would, despite somehow knowing God's existence - inherently despise it, and would rather it not be so? What self-interest exists there if someone knows the consequences are eternal torture?

I think Christians fall too easily fall into the trap of believing there is common ground between the non-believer and the believer. For me there is no common ground. After all, they hate the God that I love.
I don't hate any God anymore than I hate hypothetical fairies, or Zeus.

They may claim otherwise, or even claim indifference, as if indifference to the most holy God is not hatred. No matter what they claim, the clear teachings from Scripture is that the non-believer hates God. This hatred permeates everything that they think, do, or say.
So you are literally accusing every single atheist of lying.

What is the point of me interacting with you if you're just going to assume that everything I do, and my own nature to your beliefs is nothing but treachery?

Status
Not open for further replies.