new oldie

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've be active on these pages. Learned alot during my stay. These days find me in not so good shape physically, my back is arthritic and such, but I don't like spreading bad/sad news.

On the bright side, I believe I've invented something really cool. It's an alternative energy friendly multi turbine/rotor motor, not a petrol ICE (Internal Combustion Engine), instead it's more like a steam engine, but also likes to be powered from compressed air. It's arguably one of the most efficient engine designs, perhaps the most energy efficient. Because of this exciting project, I taught myself 3D design (SolidWorks) just to animate the design and show it off to others. Unfortunately, soon after I did that, I (rudely) lost my place of residence.

Presently I'm not here to do theology, although I may dabble now and then. But if anyone has interest in my engine project (especially supporting it), I'd be more than happy to share about that at whatever venue is appropriate. I don't have much resources (no personal phone) other than internet access at the library and job resource center.

Your thoughts and prayers are most welcome.
peace
1Way

Last edited:

The Berean

Welcome back to TOL 1Way. :wave: As an mechanical engineer I'd like to learn more about your engine design!

1Way

Welcome back to TOL 1Way. :wave: As an mechanical engineer I'd like to learn more about your engine design!

Mr Berean,
I have some interesting info that is always at the ready.

It takes advantage of several physical properties, but one of the most unique is that it (a multi turbine engine) has power and exhaust chambers. !!! I like to say it like this. I've combined the best of turbines and the best of piston cylinder engines into a better design than either, and without the legacy problems of both. (hehe, catchy I hope)

Turbines are what make the electric world go-around powering the majority of the world's electric grid via steam powered turbines. Turbines are great IF you give them what they want, consistent and sufficient power input. Imagine a wind mill, it works best as indicated, but it may stop working without sufficient and consistent pressure input. So in my view, the smooth and efficient sit-n-spin movement of rotary turbine's are it's best feature.

Piston cylinder engines are great at two things, liquid fuel in for driveshaft power out (convenience), plus they do really well at lower RPM's as compared with turbines having decent torque (even at lower RPM's), largely because of it having an "enclosed power chamber". The best of piston cylinder engines is having a power chamber.

I've essentially given (multi) turbines, power chambers! Something I've wanted to do for a very long time.

I hope that wets your whistle. The beauty of pre-compressing the working fluid/gas before going into the engine, is the flexibility to choose how the gas gets compressed, thus alternative energy sources such as wind, solar, water/hydro and geothermal can be conveniently leveraged toward storing up either 1)compressed air or 2)thermal energy/steam pressure. And they are non-polluting as well!

My engine uses only 'sit and spin' movement, that is the rotors have a non-orbiting axis, yet it also has (dynamically made and broken) power (and exhaust) chambers!
:singer::zoomin:

Aside from that,
-the integral parts nearly, but never quite touch for ultra low friction
-the rotors are symmetrical allowing force and mass balancing
-there are 5 fold integrated parts for very low part count, plus ease of maintenance and manufacture
-there is a very high ratio of power events per revolution compared to common 2 and 4 cycle ICE (petrol engines) lending well toward a powerful torque curve starting from zero RPM's on up
-using sit-n-spin or turbine motion, my engine should have very high RPM max. Some turbines operate at 50,000 RPM's, some as much as 120,000 which helps highlight the smooth efficiency of 'sit and spin' motion

Naturally aspirated (carberator) piston cylinder engines theoretical max RPM is around 8,000. So dispite having power and exhaust chambers, my engine may be roughly 3-5 times higher revving, plus another fold of RPM utilalization via the awesome toque available starting from lowest RPM's. This extremely wide RPM range likely eliminates the need for a transmission, saving weight, size 'and' cost.

Thanks much for the interest
:cloud9:

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Great to hear from you again 1Way.

1Way was one of TOL's first "regulars". :D You always added such awesome stuff to the forum. I hope you can make something of your invention. :up:

1Way

Great to hear from you again 1Way.

1Way was one of TOL's first "regulars". :D You always added such awesome stuff to the forum. I hope you can make something of your invention. :up:

Thanks for the welcome and well wishes, much appreciated. :thumb: :guitar: I will never forget TOL and the awesome experiences involved. I seem to recognize several posters, but I can't always tell if handles are the same as before.

Say, what's the latest on the sequel to The Plot??? Loved The Plot, helped my bible understanding tremendously.

I'm excited about my engine design project, but I suppose these sorts of things take time, especially when having no money to put into the project. I still have my guitar and amp (last I checked,,,), so maybe that will help at some point.

Last edited:

1Way

My back is hurting having recently been maliciously attacked. I'm seeking federal and state disability, and am presently staying in a 30day emergency shelter in Benton Harbor MI. Not sure if my mother is willing to help facilitate the project. I ‘should’ hear something from her this week.

I am networking hoping to see if anyone is interested in helping me get my project into reality. I'm quite willing to bless whoever helps in this regard.

NOTICE to all. I believe it's a good and respectable cause to help needy people who are willing to help themselves, and also to promote efforts designed to benefit others. Specifically, I am in great personal need yet not wanting hand outs, and the world needs help getting away from petroleum based fuels while also cleaning up the air we breathe. Here's hoping you find my project a worthy pursuit.
peace and blessings
Dwayne

Last edited:

1Way

What do you need to see that happen?

'Financial funding', or perhaps donated machine shop/mold shop time. Depending upon the amount of funding would dictate what I could do. Basically if it's smaller funding, then I could build a prototype via rapid prototyping and composite or specialty plastics and perhaps mold injection, using compressed air instead of steam to power the engine.

With more funding, a machine shop could build a metal version that could withstand steam and/or compressed air to power the engine.

I feel confident that after my design is prototyped, investors would become more interested in funding the project, then I could apply for patents/copyrights, and the project would likely gain a life of it's own. However until someone believes in what I'm doing, and is willing to help me build it, the idea remains little more than just an idea. I am broke, homeless, have no income other than food stamps, and because of my living arrangements, my back pain is very hard to manage. Sleep is usually to get rest, but not for me living like I have been. A little help could make a huge difference.

Anyone know what happened to the Berean? :confused: Maybe he got :rapture: raptured... hehe

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
'Financial funding', or perhaps donated machine shop/mold shop time. Depending upon the amount of funding would dictate what I could do. Basically if it's smaller funding, then I could build a prototype via rapid prototyping and composite or specialty plastics and perhaps mold injection, using compressed air instead of steam to power the engine.

With more funding, a machine shop could build a metal version that could withstand steam and/or compressed air to power the engine.

I feel confident that after my design is prototyped, investors would become more interested in funding the project, then I could apply for patents/copyrights, and the project would likely gain a life of it's own. However until someone believes in what I'm doing, and is willing to help me build it, the idea remains little more than just an idea. I am broke, homeless, have no income other than food stamps, and because of my living arrangements, my back pain is very hard to manage. Sleep is usually to get rest, but not for me living like I have been. A little help could make a huge difference.

Anyone know what happened to the Berean? :confused: Maybe he got :rapture: raptured... hehe
Berean is still here .. somewhere. :D

How much funding?

1Way

Berean is still here .. somewhere. :D

How much funding?

Not for sure, just starting talks with machine shop, but my design could also be made from composite plastics or latest in rapid prototyping, which I am starting to research. Seems early on, the cost might not exceed around 5grand or so. That would include the compressed air supply stuff as well which is not part of the invention. But some manufacturing costs may be offset if the machine/fab shop supports the project in hopes of landing more work for their business after the project does well. That is sorta how the one machine shop owner was talking to me so far. Could become a very lucrative project.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not for sure, just starting talks with machine shop, but my design could also be made from composite plastics or latest in rapid prototyping, which I am starting to research. Seems early on, the cost might not exceed around 5grand or so. That would include the compressed air supply stuff as well which is not part of the invention. But some manufacturing costs may be offset if the machine/fab shop supports the project in hopes of landing more work for their business after the project does well. That is sorta how the one machine shop owner was talking to me so far. Could become a very lucrative project.
Sounds cool.

I'd be willing to contribute a small amount. :up:

1Way

Sounds cool.

I'd be willing to contribute a small amount. :up:

THAT sounds way cool! Thanks MUCH for your interest and support! I will keep updating my progress toward getting the project into prototype stage. I believe that after real world performance statistics are measured, the project will gain a life of it's own. I feel strongly my engine is that good of a design.

I have been planning for what may be the best initial markets to pursue, such as plug-and-play solutions to pneumatic and hydraulic applications requiring driveshaft output. Also I think it could make a great water/refuse pump. These markets may have high profit margins since I'm simply selling the idea via 'limited rights lease agreements' so they can build my design in their own manufacturing plants. After that is where I believe it gets exciting: I envision creating purpose built applications for home power and personal transport. Ahh, it's just beginning steps toward saving the planet and freedom from petroleum as fuel, that's all. ;)

I have been searching patents and patent applications, so far so good, my idea seems original/unique! I view two main sales stages, (first) sell to plug-n-play industries for them to build with their own factories, then (second) purpose built units for specialty applications. I love the creative process so I'd really enjoy building energy saving applications using my energy (pressure) efficient engine. The main downfall for this technology is low energy density of the compressed air tanks. As energy storage, compressed air is quite low density, so I foresee this technology being combined with other tech such as battery power as well as steam boilers to help increase the energy density factor.

My engine design used in cars or personal transport, this energy density will be an important issue. However, I've read that MDI makes a super light car that gets over 100miles and up to 68mph on one tank full. Projected fill ups are around 3 bucks and takes just a couple mins to fill up.

I envision using part compressed air and part steam pressure, and am also considering using vacuum as well. Steam creation is fine but takes a while to warm up, so starting out would naturally be via compressed air. I really like the idea of using "wood gasification" to heat up the boiler, especially where wood or biomass is readily available. Also, solar can help this heating task quite well.

Another important factor which may help propel this compressed air slash steam technology into acceptance, especially for home power is: the underutilized nighttime electric grid combined with off-peak billing plan! I believe that’s a worldwide underutilized resource. However better utilization of the nighttime grid would not initially start cleaning up the world, but, it should very likely halt new power plant building projects as electric power companies start phasing down their projected daytime electric production as more and more energy will be used at nighttime in order to fill up high pressure air tanks. Then later (perhaps a decade) on, alternative energy sources will begin to supply more and more of our energy demands which also help reduce the need for new power plants.

We will need electric power plants for a very long time, perhaps indefinitely, but, I believe that electric power plants could find themselves in temporarily fat profit margins by simply creating significantly (maybe 30-60%!) more electricity at nighttime for the next decade or so, while not loosing significant daytime demand for likely several decades. Here’s hoping for improved sustainable (composite) ways of making high pressure storage tanks. I think we could get the support of electric power plants and combine that with government incentives to foster nighttime utilization of high pressure air compressors to fill up large air tanks for daytime use to create electricity and other applications requiring driveshaft output.

I think the future is bright, the future of energy independence and anti-pollution is compressed air and steam (combined with my robust and efficient of course). ;D

peace

Last edited:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have been planning for what may be the best initial markets to pursue, such as plug-and-play solutions to pneumatic and hydraulic applications requiring driveshaft output. Also I think it could make a great water/refuse pump. These markets may have high profit margins since I'm simply selling the idea via 'limited rights lease agreements' so they can build my design in their own manufacturing plants. After that is where I believe it gets exciting: I envision creating purpose built applications for home power and personal transport. Ahh, it's just beginning steps toward saving the planet and freedom from petroleum as fuel, that's all.

Do you think you can compete with petrol on an open market?

1Way

Do you think you can compete with petrol on an open market?

Sure, but that may be a challenge in the near future (10-15yrs). At first I view the best market challenges to be off the shelf or plug-n-play improvements over existing (industrial) pneumatic and hydraulic pumps, actuators and engines. So there is no petrol market challenge there.

It would only happen after gaining manufacturing ability (sufficient manufacturing revenue) when I would love to see less and less dependence upon fossil fuels to heat and electrify our homes and businesses and for transportation systems. It seems that in the transportation sector, the lack of sufficient "energy density" from compressed air tanks would be the biggest hinderence to competing with petrolium based fuel engines. We have a habitual demand for long mileage trips, i.e. 300+mile tank full’s, but my research gleanings put "very light" vehicles at not much beyond 120miles and top speed of around 68mph. But the increased energy efficiency of my engine's design stands improve those figures. But the fact is, I don't know how much improvement it could be until the first prototype is made.

However there is more. I suggest that if you are willing to combine technologies (compressed air with fuel driven steam power) into a hybrid system using something like propane or especially wood/biomass gasification (!very cool stuff, clean & efficient!) to heat a steam boiler, then such a hybrid system might more quickly present a marketable challenge to fossil fuels in the transportation market. It would take time to develop sufficient manufacturing plants to build large high pressure tanks, as well as steam boilers and biomass gasifires. However our economy can use some new jobs that also helps us move toward energy independence and significantly less pollution.

Conversely, I think that building and maintaining my engine will require relatively modest investments because of it's unique low part count and robust design. But then again, I have not built it yet and thereafter discovered the biggest challenges to making it work best at highest efficiencies. However, my impression is quite optimistic as the design seems so good in my view. I don't like tooting my own horn, but I honestly can hardly wait for the world to learn about the design. It really seems like a very promising design. I've seen it work in 3D animation which greatly helped me make analytical assessment, and as a result, the design seems most excellent to me.
:thumb:
I also think that leveraging the under-utilized nighttime electric grid is a great and simple initial way to promote compressed air (and perhaps also steam pressure) as a good energy storage/conduit in combination with my engine design. Going that rout would help stop producing more costly and polluting electric power plants from being built while temporarily padding their pockets with increased profits from increased demand, while at the same time getting a ‘wake up call’ toward their supply/demand curve eventually diminishing via a more localized distibuted-energy-system that is boosted by alternative energy collection. The world's electric grid will not cease perhaps for millenniums, so their long term projection is not into extinction, whereas “fossil fuels for energy” seems doomed, hopefully in the not so distant future. May the health and welfare of future generations be richly blessed by a greener tomorrow.
;)
It's worthy to note that there are large scale plans to utilize cavernous depleted oil/gas wells to be used as a compressed air storage facility during the day, and then using that stored up pressure to drive electric generators at night. So once again, compressed air as an energy storage system is already a viable and green idea that fits well into the portfolio of promoting my very (perhaps most) efficient engine design.

I sincerely hope you find this helpful. What I think is important to consider, and to help (we) visionaries to boldly move foreword, is the thought that even the oil rich OPEC nations sincerely care about the health and well being of the quality of air their grandchildren will be breathing. As a planet, we simply can no longer accept depending upon fossil fuels for energy because of the toxic pollution it causes. This humble child of god believes that the tide is changing, in fact, the time is upon us. We must make changes for a cleaner and brighter tomorrow. And I'm so happy to consider myself as a productive part of a significant step in the right direction. We can make a difference, one doable step at a time!
;)
(Sorry so long, but there is so much to share)

Last edited:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hey, 1Way, good to see you again. :wave:

1Way

I can wait that long. :D

Would it be possible to get parts for a prototype made overseas and shipped to you?

I suppose, but that's not a very practical approach. There is the idea of protecting the design rights in which case localized work seems preferred. Protectionism seems most important especially before it has been patented/copyrighted, etc. so that is a big issue.

I need to research rapid prototype methods, but the little that I know about 3D printing, I doubt that 3D printing would have enough smooth precision to produce a good enough master to have a composite mold shop finish the job. But who knows, I need to research that entire field further.

I prefer having an engine that can handle hot steam as well as cold compressed air since that is likely how it will end up being used, as a hybrid powered engine which should allow for greater energy density. Also, I imagine that a metal engine should likely be created with greater precision as compared to less structurally rigid materials. But I do believe that at some point, specialty composite built engines will do a great job handling compressed air. Just need the time devoted to research these sorts of things out. As it is, my main focus is pain reduction and hoping to find a more permanent place to live. But I also keep researching and networking and planning about the invention as well. Being homeless, it's a tough act to handle efficiently and also dealing with my back pain.

I have begun discussions with a very promising machine shop and it’s owner, so that remains my leaning. And he's somewhat local to my location. Additionally, although he wanted to become more familiar with my project before talking much about helping to sponsor the engine becoming prototyped, he hinted that he didn't mind helping to create one off’s and early prototypes in hopes of later winning production jobs for his machine shop. And that sounds exactly like what I'd like to do. but I haven't talked to him in some 4 months..

I need to research different metals, their associated costs, and machine shop/fab shop friendliness. I am hoping and praying for a more stable living arrangement. Then I could count on consistent communication venues such as telephone and internet which are crucial to this process. As it is, I remain homeless and sleeping in a temp emergency shelter. My health is compromised, maintaining contacts and doing much needed research is also a big challenge.

Last edited: