toldailytopic: Does one need a religion to know God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The term religion is used in Scripture in positive and negative contexts. There is a tendency among many today, in what I think is a wee bit of false piety, to eschew the word religion, making it a shibboleth for the self-righteous, as if Scripture only denounced it whenever the word appeared. That is not the case (James 1:27). Christianity is a religion, the one, true, religion, so we need not be embarrassed by claiming this. Indeed, we should embrace it.

Religion is devotion, worship, and service to something, usually something supernatural.

Christian religion is devotion, worship, and service to the God revealed to us in Holy Scripture, the one, true God. That is why we claim that Christianity is the one, true, religion.

See also: http://christianreader.typepad.com/christian_reader/2009/12/christianity-is-a-religion.html

AMR

Lovejoy

The term religion is used in Scripture in positive and negative contexts. There is a tendency among many today, in what I think is a wee bit of false piety, to eschew the word religion, making it a shibboleth for the self-righteous, as if Scripture only denounced it whenever the word appeared. That is not the case (James 1:27). Christianity is a religion, the one, true, religion, so we need not be embarrassed by claiming this. Indeed, we should embrace it.

Religion is devotion, worship, and service to something, usually something supernatural.

Christian religion is devotion, worship, and service to the God revealed to us in Holy Scripture, the one, true God. That is why we claim that Christianity is the one, true, religion.

See also: http://christianreader.typepad.com/christian_reader/2009/12/christianity-is-a-religion.html

AMR

I have been trying to rehabilitate that particular word for some time. No dice! People seem to like it as a perjorative.

madman

I agree that James defines religion, but that is not Christianity. Catholicism, maybe, but not Christianity. We are not justified by visiting widows and orphans or keeping oneself unstained by the world. We are justified by faith in Christ.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I agree that James defines religion, but that is not Christianity. Catholicism, maybe, but not Christianity.
Wiffenpoofle! Read all of Chapter 1 from which the verse was taken. It says nothing of the sort.

AMR

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
No, I don't think you do. In fact, I think religion (i.e. Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, etc.) do far more to hinder a relationship with God rather than helping us to know God.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

AMR

Exactly! Christianity is a religion and the only true religion. Some here confuse religion with the the legalistic aspects of Judaism.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Wait, so does that mean Lord of the Rings is a religion?

If so, WHY DIDN'T ANYBODY TELL ME?! :duh:
Becasue it leads to a big argument regarding the Tolkien-onlyism verses the dynamic translation found in the movies (not to mention which dynamic translation is better, the original theatrical release of the extended version DVD release). You would be on the wrong side of that argument and would be condemned to L. Ron Hubbard for eternity!:D

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
God decided to have His Word written down, so that men wouldn't have to wonder. Those with true religion are found doing God's Will, not the will of men. It isn't God's will that men sit in pews and complain about wasting their time listening to a false preacher preach false religion about a false god. God wants men that will listen to Him.

"Those with true religion are found doing God's Will"
Then you admit there is a true religion, so, you do believe in religion.:idea:

madman

James is written to a group of people (12 tribes) who were steeped in religion. Those whom he is addressing (believers) are being persecuted by those still practicing their religion. Those who boast in their religion, still fall short of their religion (it is useless). If they were perfecting their religious practices they would bridle their tongue 1:26, yet as James points out "no man can tame the tongue" James 3:8.

James is putting to rest Mr. Religion.

How is that keeping yourself unstained by the world working for you?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 29th, 2010 11:09 AM

toldailytopic: Does one need a religion to know God?

I'm not completely sure how you are defining "religion", or what exactly it means to "know God", but I'd say no as of now.

OMEGA

In the soon coming Kingdom of God , everyone will be taught the knowledge of God.:patrol:

Isaiah They shall not hurt or destroy on all my holy mountain;

for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD

as the waters cover the sea.:surf:

alwight

Does one need a religion to know God?

A religion will, no doubt, be readily available to all those who want there to be a god.
Religion will probably help these people to think they know a god, even if, as I rather suspect, there simply are no gods.

Religions of all varieties will probably be doing this "service" for people, quite independently of gods actually existing or not.

Thunder's Muse

I don't think a person needs religion to know God. To say otherwise, is suggesting that God is 'contained' within religion and I believe that God cannot be restricted in that way.

In my mind, religion is something created by humans, based on the teaching of one who went before. It man's way of sorting it all out, making sense of it all and trying to build a way back to God...in our limited understanding.

I believe that God is beyond religion and that He speaks to the hearts of men as He chooses, not based on who goes to church on Sunday.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
One must believe God exists to know Him, certainly. And most would call that a religion, all on its own. So it depends on how you define 'religion.'

Status
Not open for further replies.