toldailytopic: Where should TOL go from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 23rd, 2010 10:38 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
TheologyOnline.com has been around for over 13 years!!!

I would like to hear your ideas and suggestions as to the direction we should take from here.

- Stay the course?
- Add some marvelous new feature?
- Alter the spirit of the conversation in some way?
- Sell the site to somebody who would do a better job running the place?
- More cow bell?
- Shut the door and throw away the keys???

What are your thoughts and opinions?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
we need to do something about Town Heretic
and
here is my plan

retire him
and
give him some sort of honorary title
and
give him some moderator powers
but
not too much

you can also do that to the next person who reaches the top of the rep pile
after about three months

nicholsmom

I love TOL just the way it is - idiots and all (did I say that??? :shut:)

As for someone who could run the place better - who could possibly? Better??? Is it possible this side of Heaven?

Maybe add a game server for stuff like Quake or something ...

:crackup:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Um...actually, I have a suggestion. Whenever you log into TOL, it brings you back to the TOL home page. Don't you think it'd be more convenient if the TOL login just brought you back to whatever page you were viewing previously?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I would like to see an *invite* feature added. Every now and again, I run across a few interesting individuals in yahoo groups who I think *might* have something to contribute to TOL.

Even though I will give the person the link via IM or email, they normally don't join. Maybe a regular invite would work better.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Um...actually, I have a suggestion. Whenever you log into TOL, it brings you back to the TOL home page. Don't you think it'd be more convenient if the TOL login just brought you back to whatever page you were viewing previously?
There is a reason for that... for whatever reason certain browsers (especially on Windows machines) were logging people out as they would login which was obviously causing frustration.

We made a change that would force the login to "take" no matter what browser or operating system you are in. The down side is the login directs you to the home page even if you login from another page. If you have a Mac you don't need to worry because most (if not all) Mac browsers know to keep you logged in to TOL unless you log out.

WizardofOz

I think having some new mods would be nice. No offense to any existing moderators, but where are you?

Expand the religious/political affiliation designation options.

Stay the course. Do not sell. Can I get some more cowbell?

Oh, and more smileys! :thumb:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
There is a reason for that... for whatever reason certain browsers (especially on Windows machines) were logging people out as they would login which was obviously causing frustration.

We made a change that would force the login to "take" no matter what browser or operating system you are in. The down side is the login directs you to the home page even if you login from another page. If you have a Mac you don't need to worry because most (if not all) Mac browsers know to keep you logged in to TOL unless you log out.

Oh, ok. Didn't know that. :idunno:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I would like to see an *invite* feature added. Every now and again, I run across a few interesting individuals in yahoo groups who I think *might* have something to contribute to TOL.
I might be able to add something like that.

Even though I will give the person the link via IM or email, they normally don't join. Maybe a regular invite would work better.
When you say "regular invite" what do you mean?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I might be able to add something like that.

When you say "regular invite" what do you mean?

Year back, yahoo groups use to have an invite feature that members could use. It gave members a chance to invite in friends and acquaintances.

Since I realize that such a feature *could be* abused by some, maybe it could be something available to paid subscribers only.

bybee

Caveat?

Caveat?

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 23rd, 2010 10:38 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Perhaps a "Caveat Thread" to which all newbies could be directed wherein there are "Welcome Messages" from a variety of long time TOL'ers whom you and the other mod's feel are representative of life on TOL? It could be periodically updated to keep it representational.
In that way some general warnings could be given that would not be personally threatening to the newbie?
bybee

bybee

Stay the course!

Stay the course!

TheologyOnline.com has been around for over 13 years!!!

I would like to hear your ideas and suggestions as to the direction we should take from here.

- Stay the course?
- Add some marvelous new feature?
- Alter the spirit of the conversation in some way?
- Sell the site to somebody who would do a better job running the place?
- More cow bell?
- Shut the door and throw away the keys???

What are your thoughts and opinions?

I would miss this place.
bybee

Nitro

1. I would like to have the search function available to me. At the rate I am going, it will take me forever to get to 50 posts. I guess I could start spamming to get my post count up faster. Maybe I could just randomly post to threads with a smiley or two.

2. If I am not logged on when clicking the "post reply" it takes me to the logon page. After logging on, it takes me to the home page and then I have to dig back through the forum to find the thread that I wanted to make a post. I'm sure this could be changed. I frequent other forums and after logging on, they take you right back to the thread you to which you were going to post.

Status
Not open for further replies.