As an Atheist, how do you deal with even the most beligerant, ignorant, and hateful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzzword

Nobody acts hateful to me in real life, :idunno: . I rarely discuss my views in person but when I have most people who disagree just say I'm an intimidating guy so they won't try to tell me to what to do, :chuckle: . They talk a lot about me behind my back though I'm sure, but oh well.

On the internet, some smartalecks like to think anonymity entitles to them to run their mouth because you can't do anything to them through the silicon cyclops. I just ignore it. It's not like I value their reasoning behind thinking they have a right to say something to me.

:first:

Two things to never discuss with friends: religion and politics.

zippy2006

I don't expect you to be at my beck and call.

Swell :thumb:

My primary problem is that super powers and magic don't actually explain anything. On the face of it I suppose it's an incredibly easy solution to the apparent absurdity of walking on water/virgin birth/Genesis 30/etc. but I see it as compounding your problem. The way I see it, it's not possible to explain the absurd by positing a solution that is unexplainable. All you've done is replace a little question mark with a much larger one.

Feel free to present a clear argument or a specific question. Why do you think my solution is absurd? This is really just the question of whether God exists isn't it?

Why I need to supply an argument for why virgin birth is absurd is beyond me... it's an extraordinary claim made on a basis of zero evidence and can be written off with an equal scarcity of evidence.

I explained to you the nature of miraculous Biblical claims based on the 'walking on water' example.

The onus for providing an argument is on the one making the extraordinary claim, and extraordinary evidence is integral to that argument. Does that make sense?

Yes, and again, I disagree that things such as God walking on water are extraordinary in the sense that you claim they are. "God walks on water" is not an extraordinary claim, especially from my worldview.

I did, thank you.

:e4e:

Hi, why do you not believe in God? Why do you call yourself an Atheist when You can't prove God does not exist either? Why do you like the taste of Pepsi? Why do you not like the taste of Pepsi? Who cares? Believers cannot prove the existence of God any more than Science can prove God doesn't exist or can prove the big bang theory or any other theories of how mankind was created. That's why it's called a "theory" because theories cannot be proven either unless/until they are proven.
So perhaps a better question is: why bother exploring why people in God if you have made up your mind that God doesn't exist? You can't even prove why You exist nor can you prove the theory of Atheism. Therefore You don't have a clue about neither God nor Atheism. ;)

But perhaps you’re exploring this forum because you're not truly an atheist either and so you're naturally trying to find out which "theory" is best for You to believe? If so, then you shouldn't be asking this forum. If you want to know if God exists, then you have to ask God. That's the way it works and you're in luck too because your options are simple. It's either True or False that God exists. Which means:
1. False; if God doesn't exist, then you will die an Atheist.
2. True; if God does exist, then you will die an Atheist and then be resurrected and suffer God's wrath for eternity.

Your choice. :) . . . tick . . . tick . . . tick . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.