toldailytopic: Where should TOL go from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizardofOz

More read, less type

More read, less type

1. I would like to have the search function available to me. At the rate I am going, it will take me forever to get to 50 posts. I guess I could start spamming to get my post count up faster. Maybe I could just randomly post to threads with a smiley or two.

I can help with that.....

2. If I am not logged on when clicking the "post reply" it takes me to the logon page. After logging on, it takes me to the home page and then I have to dig back through the forum to find the thread that I wanted to make a post. I'm sure this could be changed. I frequent other forums and after logging on, they take you right back to the thread you to which you were going to post.

There is a reason for that... for whatever reason certain browsers (especially on Windows machines) were logging people out as they would login which was obviously causing frustration.

We made a change that would force the login to "take" no matter what browser or operating system you are in. The down side is the login directs you to the home page even if you login from another page. If you have a Mac you don't need to worry because most (if not all) Mac browsers know to keep you logged in to TOL unless you log out.

Maybe you can respond by telling how you missed that ^ :D

NewB:alien: Just here to help that post count......:chuckle:

grit

TheologyOnline.com has been around for over 13 years!!!

I would like to hear your ideas and suggestions as to the direction we should take from here.

- Stay the course?
- Add some marvelous new feature?
- Alter the spirit of the conversation in some way?
- Sell the site to somebody who would do a better job running the place?
- More cow bell?
- Shut the door and throw away the keys???

What are your thoughts and opinions?
I really appreciate the inquiry, I must say.

I stayed away from TOL for 2 years on that third thing you listed, just in my welcome thread as a newbie, and since coming back I've caught wind of others leaving or who have left, so I'd say that whole "spirit of the conversation" might could use a bit of oil or grease. Probably oil I'd guess, and perhaps olive oil is best. But then both Popeye and Bluto (or Brutus) liked Olive Oyl, which only seemed to exacerbate their hostilities. Hey, maybe we should all just get spayed or neutered? That seems to often calm down pets somewhat. Still, I don't imagine that virtual neutering in cyberspace would work the same, and my PC didn't take too well to anointing it with oil. I don't know, maybe it's different with Apples?

But seriously, I haven't found that Christians on the Net are particularly pragmatic about being spiritually altered, and I doubt it could be accomplished by either a concerted TOL effort or even knightly endeavour. Selling a site hasn't worked out very well for others either, and shutting a door never struck me as particularly communicative of good spirits. I'd love to see a more respectful and netiquetted manner, but I'm pretty sure the site rules already ask that of the membership, and I've never found that moderators or administrators are any more adept at it that the regular joe (present company excluded).

I suppose more cow bell is worth a try, but I've usually found it simply garnishes the place with more cows; which certainly might be found to either help or hurt, depending on how one feels about cows and more mooing and such. Still, cow pies don't seem to smell the same in cyberspace as they do otherwise, so I guess that's something.

I'm at a loss, unless a way be found to corporately civilize the community toward more civil discourse. But, and I don't know if asking the questions is indicative of a consideration that something is a bit 'off', something beyond mere marketing technique of a 'fresh coat of paint' might indeed stand TOL out from the rest of 'Christian fourm community'; and if my experience is any indicator, a better tone of spirit might be just the ticket. I'd just caution that such individual internalization of such can be a rather tall order to fill.

WizardofOz

I really appreciate the inquiry, I must say.

I stayed away from TOL for 2 years on that third thing you listed, just in my welcome thread as a newbie, and since coming back I've caught wind of others leaving or who have left, so I'd say that whole "spirit of the conversation" might could use a bit of oil or grease. Probably oil I'd guess, and perhaps olive oil is best. But then both Popeye and Bluto (or Brutus) liked Olive Oyl, which only seemed to exacerbate their hostilities. Hey, maybe we should all just get spayed or neutered? That seems to often calm down pets somewhat. Still, I don't imagine that virtual neutering in cyberspace would work the same, and my PC didn't take too well to anointing it with oil. I don't know, maybe it's different with Apples?

But seriously, I haven't found that Christians on the Net are particularly pragmatic about being spiritually altered, and I doubt it could be accomplished by either a concerted TOL effort or even knightly endeavour. Selling a site hasn't worked out very well for others either, and shutting a door never struck me as particularly communicative of good spirits. I'd love to see a more respectful and netiquetted manner, but I'm pretty sure the site rules already ask that of the membership, and I've never found that moderators or administrators are any more adept at it that the regular joe (present company excluded).

I suppose more cow bell is worth a try, but I've usually found it simply garnishes the place with more cows; which certainly might be found to either help or hurt, depending on how one feels about cows and more mooing and such. Still, cow pies don't seem to smell the same in cyberspace as they do otherwise, so I guess that's something.

I'm at a loss, unless a way be found to corporately civilize the community toward more civil discourse. But, and I don't know if asking the questions is indicative of a consideration that something is a bit 'off', something beyond mere marketing technique of a 'fresh coat of paint' might indeed stand TOL out from the rest of 'Christian fourm community', and if my experience is any indicator, a better tone of spirit might be just the ticket. I'd just caution that such individual internalization of such can be a rather tall order to fill.

True, grit.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You could invite Walt Williams for a written debate since the left wants to argue when he isn't here.

I can't think of anything that would make it more interesting for me. Nothing raises on eyebrow like this place does. Not even CNN.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
TheologyOnline.com has been around for over 13 years!!!

I would like to hear your ideas and suggestions as to the direction we should take from here.

- Stay the course ? < MY VOTE!!!
TOL is like the old overstuffed chair or well broken in recliner with in front of the TV, with many watchables are like . . .
  • Rooster Cogburn
  • Bringing Up Baby
  • Bonhoeffer: Agent of Grace
  • Sarah Plain and Tall
  • Peter and Paul (Anthony Hopkins and Robert Foxworth)
  • Shadowlands
  • Kelly's Hero's
Well you get the idea, it works for me.

- Add some marvelous new feature?
? ? ?

- Alter the spirit of the conversation in some way?
Sometimes it does it's own altering; maybe more spirited?

- Sell the site to somebody who would do a better job running the place?

- More cow bell?
That reminds of KLAK 1600 in Denver a C&W station in the 50's-70's, every time they would give the time they ring a cow bell, especially Andy Anderson, who would say, "From the back porch of this old house it's six o'clock" . . . Clang, clang, clang, clang, clang.

- Shut the door and throw away the keys???
No, somebody has to maintain the good fight, focus on finishing the course, and keep the faith, so that having done all to, TOL stands therefore.

What are your thoughts and opinions?

Maybe add a couple of new mods, and give few of our sharp thinkers something to do. There have already been some suggestions.

TOL is steady ship, that is maintaining it's course. I like it, and whatever Knight would decide it will always be for the best interest of TOL.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
My suggestion is that each of us remember to pray for Knight daily, that God would give him wisdom and energy as he seeks to run this ship.

There has been improvement in tone, that has been noticed by myself and my husband, who used to totally disapprove of TOL tactics.

So in my case prayer has already been answered. The gospel of Jesus Christ is being proclaimed. As long as there remains a sound witness here, we can all pray it continues and betters, to the glory of God.

Nang

Ask Mr. Religion

&#9758;&#9758;&#9758;&#9758;Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I agree with Nang's post above!

On the spirit of conversation:

All that we think, do, or say should be for the glory of God.

Romans 11:36 (NKJV)
For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever. Amen.

1 Corinthians 10:31 (NKJV)
Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things. (Philippians 4:8)

I personally don't believe it is bringing all glory to God to allow those who deny essentials of the faith, such as the Trinity or the divinity of Christ, to flourish unabated. It is one thing for someone to sincerely pose questions about such matters, seeking to know more and being open to correction. It is quite another to permit these views to be espoused by those who are clearly proselytizing. Why should anyone implicitly participate in the sins of others by allowing this behavior?

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

&#9758;&#9758;&#9758;&#9758;Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A few new features come to mind:

1. Safe-haven forums where those of a like mind may fellowship and discuss items without intrusion by those that disagree with the purposes of this sort of forum. For example: Open-Theists Only, MAD Only, Reformed Only, Catholic Only, etc.

2. Ask Five Questions forum. Members post here five questions that are directed to any other member. The targeted member has three days to respond to all five questions. The thread is closed afterwards whether or not a response was received.

3. Somewhat similarly, a Face the Board thread. Members willing to be subjected to the third degree, if you will, post therein stating their willingness to answer any questions posed (within reasonable bounds of privacy and modesty). Questions are then directed towards them by anyone. Questions can be quite benign, such as, "what is your favorite color", to more pointed. The thread is closed after 1000 posts have been made. Thus, there would be thread titles as follows in this forum: FTB - AMR; FTB - Town Heretic; FTB - Knight, etc. Once the 1000 post limit reached a new thread, if needed, would be started, e.g., FTB - Knight (2), and so on. One downside I have seen used in this type of forum is that those who seek to increase post counts love it way too much, as it becomes their sole reason to participate in the forum: to ask the same questions in round-robin fashion to all who have started the thread.

4. Ask a Chaplain forum. Initially Chaplains are appointed by management. Later other chaplains weigh in with management on future Chaplain appointments. Must be ordained and provide documentary proof from a church, not from one of the many internet groups that hand out ordination certificates to anyone. All posts therein are moderated and anonymized. No user name appears for the original poster. Only the original poster and appointed Chaplains, whose posts are not anonymized, are allowed to respond in threads created. The first Chaplain responding usually owns the entire conversation with the original poster. Other Chaplains do not weigh in unless asked by the original poster or by the first responding Chaplain. This suggestion has a complication I have noted on another site where I am serving as a Chaplain in a similarly styled forum. The posts are usually from sock accounts as regular members are often suspicious of just how much anonymity is provided. ;)

5. Moderate rep posts. There should be no free ride for those that want to end-run the posting rules of proper behavior. Persons receiving rep posts that are objectionable should be able to post them to the Woodshed for actioning. Of course, this would be a nice feature only paid subscribers would enjoy. ;)

6. Men Only and Women Only Forums.

AMR

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I've mentioned a few features I would like to see over the years, so I would hope those options would be available at some point in the near future.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
On the spirit of conversation:

All that we think, do, or say should be for the glory of God.

I personally don't believe it is bringing all glory to God to allow those who deny essentials of the faith, such as the Trinity or the divinity of Christ, to flourish unabated.

It isn't personal, it is Biblical. But I know where you are coming from. I take it personal.

See sig.

Squishes

I personally don't believe it is bringing all glory to God to allow those who deny essentials of the faith, such as the Trinity or the divinity of Christ, to flourish unabated. It is one thing for someone to sincerely pose questions about such matters, seeking to know more and being open to correction. It is quite another to permit these views to be espoused by those who are clearly proselytizing. Why should anyone implicitly participate in the sins of others by allowing this behavior?

What's the alternative?
Censorship?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
In gratitude.........

In gratitude.........

~*~*~

Stay the course, as an open-forum of interactive dialogue, learning and expansion of consciousness. :)

Expand the religious/political affiliation designation options.

Yes, I've asked Knight to make 'Unitarian-Universalist' as an option, so hope he considers it again,.....some may find that a bit more 'definitive' than just "Other" :)

Thank You,

pj

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
@Knight: In view of the others' call for more expansive religious/political choices, why not just make it so that you can just type it in yourself? That is, just make the area a blank space? Instead of having the choices for "right wing" or "left wing," why not just let a poster like Gamera write: "God hating liberal"? :p

Nang

TOL Subscriber
A few new features come to mind:

1. Safe-haven forums where those of a like mind may fellowship and discuss items without intrusion by those that disagree with the purposes of this sort of forum. For example: Open-Theists Only, MAD Only, Reformed Only, Catholic Only, etc.

Exactly.

2. Ask Five Questions forum. Members post here five questions that are directed to any other member. The targeted member has three days to respond to all five questions. The thread is closed afterwards whether or not a response was received.

A softer, and kinder (less intellectual) version of the 1 on 1 idea!

3. Somewhat similarly, a Face the Board thread. Members willing to be subjected to the third degree, if you will, post therein stating their willingness to answer any questions posed (within reasonable bounds of privacy and modesty). Questions are then directed towards them by anyone. Questions can be quite benign, such as, "what is your favorite color", to more pointed. The thread is closed after 1000 posts have been made. Thus, there would be thread titles as follows in this forum: FTB - AMR; FTB - Town Heretic; FTB - Knight, etc. Once the 1000 post limit reached a new thread, if needed, would be started, e.g., FTB - Knight (2), and so on. One downside I have seen used in this type of forum is that those who seek to increase post counts love it way too much, as it becomes their sole reason to participate in the forum: to ask the same questions in round-robin fashion to all who have started the thread.

Yep. Hold mere opinionated feet to a fire.

4. Ask a Chaplain forum. Initially Chaplains are appointed by management. Later other chaplains weigh in with management on future Chaplain appointments. Must be ordained and provide documentary proof from a church, not from one of the many internet groups that hand out ordination certificates to anyone. All posts therein are moderated and anonymized. No user name appears for the original poster. Only the original poster and appointed Chaplains, whose posts are not anonymized, are allowed to respond in threads created. The first Chaplain responding usually owns the entire conversation with the original poster. Other Chaplains do not weigh in unless asked by the original poster or by the first responding Chaplain. This suggestion has a complication I have noted on another site where I am serving as a Chaplain in a similarly styled forum. The posts are usually from sock accounts as regular members are often suspicious of just how much anonymity is provided. ;)

This is the weakest suggestion AMR makes, as there are many unqualified who might demand to be marked as "Chaplain," plus legitimate church qualifications cannot be proved.

5. Moderate rep posts. There should be no free ride for those that want to end-run the posting rules of proper behavior. Persons receiving rep posts that are objectionable should be able to post them to the Woodshed for actioning. Of course, this would be a nice feature only paid subscribers would enjoy. ;)

Agreed.

6. Men Only and Women Only Forums.

Essential. Women, according to Scriptural prohibitions, are limited in participating or joining in public censors and rebukes directed towards males. Plus, there are spiritual subjects, that require the privacy of female contributions and female counselling.

Knight, you asked, and IMO you have received a most thought- out, and wise response from AMR, that should be prayerfully considered, despite the noise you will surely receive from the outer edges of Christendom!

Nang

Flipper

Essential. Women, according to Scriptural prohibitions, are limited in participating or joining in public censors and rebukes directed towards males.

Ah ha ha ha.

I imagine that the women of TOL will probably have something to say about that.

Thunder's Muse

Ah ha ha ha.

I imagine that the women of TOL will probably have something to say about that.

:chuckle:

Those IM chat windows would be good. I think there would be less PM's sent.

I like the idea of some new Moderators...in addition to the ones we have :D It would be good to be able to nominate and put it to a vote, also.

Less hostility from certain members would be good. I mean, TOL is TOL...if you say something stupid, you get roasted for it...but some take it a little too far IMO. It detracts from the point of conversation, which is what TOL is about, right?

I like the suggestion of praying for Knight each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.