toldailytopic: The ability to speak, hear, or see. If you could only keep one of thes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son of Jack

Don't they have that in braille? That seems like a huge oversight! :shocked:

:nono:....:plain:

That joke made me wish I couldn't see.:plain:

I'd choose seeing because I could still sign to my children and wife, many people have annoying voices, and nobody listens to what I say anyway.:chuckle:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
:nono:....:plain:

That joke made me wish I couldn't see.:plain:

I'd choose seeing because I could still sign to my children and wife, many people have annoying voices, and nobody listens to what I say anyway.:chuckle:

That pun wasn't intended. :noid:

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
To not speak, to sing, to tell my family I love them, would be terrible.

To not hear I think would be like a great void, intimidating. Not to hear music and the spoken word would frustrating, especially hearing people praise the Lord.

If I was born blind, well that would be what it is, but to go blind after seeing all the wonders around me, that would be bad. But since I have a slow wasting optic nerve disease in both eyes over a period of years I'll know what it is. My late brother was blind so I'm more familiar with that.
Even so I would keep my hearing.​

Last edited:

Thunder's Muse

Great question, Knight!

It's a tough choice. With no hearing, I could no longer listen to music or hear my children laugh. However, sometimes I find too much noise overwhelming and I can't hear myself think....

So, I'd keep my sight. I can still read and write, get around by myself, clean the house (yippee :plain:) , see the faces of loved ones and read facial expressions and other subtle things...

Son of Jack

If one really thinks about this question, it ought to produce a great deal of gratitude. To think that I could not be able to see a beautiful piece of art, a sunset, the smile of my little girl...that I could not be able to hear a moving piece of music or my children or my wife say, "I love you"...to never again be able to say, "I love you" to my wife and kids.

To lose any one of those things after a lifetime with them would be almost unendurable. This serves as a good reminder to enjoy the things we see, hear, and can say.

Thanks, Knight.:)

Newman

I would lose sight in a heartbeat.

I love being outdoors, not just because of the amazing landscapes and the breathtaking views of the sun rising/setting over a river or a lake, but I love the smell, the feel, and the sounds of the outdoors above all.

I love reading, but I can stand audio books and I think it'd be cool to learn braille.

Sight helps out a lot in day-to-day activities, but such a huge change wouldn't be the end of me. No, the end of me would be a music-less day.

From the first thing I do in the morning to the last thing I do at night is listen to music. Music is a part of me--not only in creating it, but enjoying others' creations as well. I'm the kind of guy that regularly gets chill bumps while listening to music, and I love it.

I could definitely go without speaking, too. And it would probably do me a lot of good.

I also love dogs. And I hear dogs and blindness go well together (pun intended). My dog, Max, is my best friend. I don't need to see him, smell him, feel him, or even speak to him to know his undying loyalty and wonderful companionship. All I need for that is the constant sound of his paws following me wherever I go.

nicholsmom

Definitely, the ability to see.

Yep, 'cause if you can see you can communicate via sign language, whereas if you can only hear, then how will you learn sign language? (I guess Helen Keller managed, but why make it difficult?) or if you can only speak, how will you know what others are saying? (again, Helen Keller, but still...)

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Is there an option to decide what faculty other people would preferably lose? Because, given the choice, I'd totally will that all women lose the power to speak. :p

bybee

Well

Well

Is there an option to decide what faculty other people would preferably lose? Because, given the choice, I'd totally will that all women lose the power to speak. :p

:shut::hammer:
I forsee a problem here. There are many quiet women. There are many quiet men. My husband was a quiet man. He spent 53 years listening to me. I made him laugh! When I got quiet he got nervous.
bybee

bybee

Agreed

Agreed

Great question, Knight!

It's a tough choice. With no hearing, I could no longer listen to music or hear my children laugh. However, sometimes I find too much noise overwhelming and I can't hear myself think....

So, I'd keep my sight. I can still read and write, get around by myself, clean the house (yippee :plain:) , see the faces of loved ones and read facial expressions and other subtle things...

I agree with you Dearie! I am an artist and color enters my soul. Color, like the rainbow, is palpable to me. Certain colors make me sick. Certain combinations of colors make's my heart sing.
peace, bybee :cloud9:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The ability to see.

Four O'Clock

I think most folks (including myself) would initially think about keeping their sight, I'd have to go with hearing.
1) IMO the inability to hear would put you in a voided vacuum of sorts, with only your inner thoughts speaking to you. Seems like that could drive you crazy at some point.
2) I could still read without sight.
3) Without hearing, I couldn't appreciate music, or the daily sounds of life (much bad but much of it good too). I love my retreats to the Trappist monastary but even with all the silence there there is music, birds singing, wind rustling the trees, rain falling, etc...

Knight's point about being able to make a living is a good one but....
....I'll keep my hearing.

Note: IMO "Speaking" doesn't even belong on the list!
That ol' tongue can get us all in trouble!

lucy

I think most folks (including myself) would initially think about keeping their sight, I'd have to go with hearing.
1) IMO the inability to hear would put you in a voided vacuum of sorts, with only your inner thoughts speaking to you. Seems like that could drive you crazy at some point.
2) I could still read without sight.
3) Without hearing, I couldn't appreciate music, or the daily sounds of life (much bad but much of it good too). I love my retreats to the Trappist monastary but even with all the silence there there is music, birds singing, wind rustling the trees, rain falling, etc...

Knight's point about being able to make a living is a good one but....
....I'll keep my hearing.

Note: IMO "Speaking" doesn't even belong on the list!
That ol' tongue can get us all in trouble!

You'd be surprised how many people, especially the elderly, who once having lost most of their hearing, really don't like hearing again when I fit them with hearing aids. Losing your hearing gradually isn't all that noticeable to them, but when they are hearing all they have been missing, some reject the hearing aids because it was so "peaceful" without them, i.e. they did not hear unwanted background noise! One pt. did not know her neighbor's dogs were barking, and she wanted me to eliminate that, ha ha! Another did not know the car turn signal makes a noise! I even had one person who complained about being able to hear the crows again! Most really appreciate hearing again, but the very elderly (85+) sometimes cannot handle it anymore...

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sight. Having experienced a long life of all senses, loss of the others would be more than compensated for by memory associated with retained sight. A no-brainer.

AMR

Status
Not open for further replies.