Dating is a Failed Modern Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I certainly do and am, actually.

My current girlfriend and I have plans to marry after college and move to Germany (or at least somewhere in Europe). Also we've been dating for three years now (so you don't think it's one of those lovy-dovy infatuation situations).

Why? What method do you use? Dousing rods?
When you and she first got together did you do it with the intention of possibly, eventually, someday getting married, therefore with the specific purpose of getting to know each other to see if you would want to spend the rest of your life together? Or did you decide that after having been together for some time?

Jukia

I got through the abstract. After I read "By observing real life situations it will be proven that dating has led to suicide and genocide"

Puhleeze. You could also prove that "birth has led to suicide and genocide"
Well, no wonder Pastor Bob likes this.

Memento Mori

When you and she first got together did you do it with the intention of possibly, eventually, someday getting married, therefore with the specific purpose of getting to know each other to see if you would want to spend the rest of your life together? Or did you decide that after having been together for some time?

While I cannot speak for her (although she has implied as much), I did. Granted the relationship did evolve. Essential it breaks down in that I desired a full-fledged relationship and entered with certain reservations since that is a rather large order to fill. However, I have found that she is that "soul mate" you religious of whom you religious people speak.

So, dating can work but it requires the initial proper intent I suppose. If you're hopes are a one night stand then so be it. If you want a complete and fulfilling relationship, then eventually you can find it. And I know I got extremely lucky.

Granite

Hall of Fame
While I cannot speak for her (although she has implied as much), I did. Granted the relationship did evolve. Essential it breaks down in that I desired a full-fledged relationship and entered with certain reservations since that is a rather large order to fill. However, I have found that she is that "soul mate" you religious of whom you religious people speak.

So, dating can work but it requires the initial proper intent I suppose. If you're hopes are a one night stand then so be it. If you want a complete and fulfilling relationship, then eventually you can find it. And I know I got extremely lucky.

Thank you! It's called "getting to know someone," for those keeping score at home. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes you finally find the One.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

1. I don't believe in soul mates.
  2. That isn't dating in the modern sense. It is courtship, by definition.

zoo22

Isn't "dating" just a word? I mean, did "courting" mean something before the world's oldest profession kicked in? Say, was "courting," "dating?" (yes). Or is it simply convenient to focus on a word like "dating" that might not have as long a history in language, but always had an equivalent like: "courting," and one might pretend that the "date" concept didn't exist in the "good old God days?" ...And then spout that trite out on your radio show?

:plain:

Hear it the way you want to hear it. Or shout it out the way you want people to hear it. ...That's how we work, right? ...Airwaves and microphones and whatnot?

Or maybe is BE essentially (even unwittingly) just looking to beat down the "modern" world as it may apply to anything that could be construed as unsavory or "impure?" ...As say, "dating" (which is just a word)... Which IMO, seems a completely different issue than, um, ... Dating. Or courting. Or whatever one want to call it.

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
"Dating" implies a more casual relationship than "courting" but with good reason: in the not so good old days, folks didn't have the freedom to choose who they saw fit. Anyone wanna turn back the clock?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
"Dating" implies a more casual relationship than "courting" but with good reason: in the not so good old days, folks didn't have the freedom to choose who they saw fit. Anyone wanna turn back the clock?
With the divorce rate as it is that may not be so bad an idea.

PlastikBuddha

Only the perpetually clueless "golden-agers", and only inasmuch as it conforms to their fantasies.

GuySmiley

What this thread needs are definitions of dating and courtship. Nobody is talking about forced arranged marriage. Way back in my early years on TOL there was a thread titled Arranged Marriage. I argued strongly against it until I found out it wasn't arranged (forced) marriage at all. It was this courtship idea, which boils down to 'dating with Christian morality in mind' (by my definitions.) I'm sure what this girl deems 'dating' is different than what you think it means.

Granite

Hall of Fame
What this thread needs are definitions of dating and courtship. Nobody is talking about forced arranged marriage. Way back in my early years on TOL there was a thread titled Arranged Marriage. I argued strongly against it until I found out it wasn't arranged (forced) marriage at all. It was this courtship idea, which boils down to 'dating with Christian morality in mind' (by my definitions.) I'm sure what this girl deems 'dating' is different than what you think it means.

I'm sure this girl's never been on a date and has a skewed idea of how the world works (like many Christian youths). Her lack of sophistication is obvious. She's well meaning, but naive.

If by "arranged marriage" you mean "introducing two young people with the hopes they get hitched," I have no problem with that, it happens all the time, and it's certainly not exclusive to Christianity (Yente the Matchmaker, anyone?)

amongstweeds

Recently my dad pointed out to me that there were posts about the show on TOL and that there were some both for and against me and my point so, I felt it would be best if I come on to defend myself as the author of the discussed paper.
First of all I will defend myself from the accusations of me not being a scholar and from the teenage stereotype I see so prevalent in this forum. Webster's dictionary refers to a scholar as a pupil or student, which I am. Also I am not a student of normal caliber for my age; I attend a school called "The Academy for Health and Medical Sciences" through which I will be receiving an associate's degree in general sciences for high school. Every year they only accept 30 students based on academic achievement and an entrance exam. As for my writing abilities, (which do not change the merit of my research and conclusions in anyway) I scored the highest grade on the language arts section of the HSPAs in my school's history. Not only am I different scholastically but I am also different from the normal teenager. Although it has been suggested that I have never been asked on a date and therefore I am just attacking those who ignore me, this is not true. Yes, usually I do not get "asked out" by high school boys, I do seem to attract persistent college boys, whom I politely turn down. Also, from being a geek and not being accepted in elementary and middle school, I have learned the destructive habits of the modern day youth and seen their repercussions first hand. Many connect maturity with age, when really being young doesn't make you immature or unwise; it is your experiences and understanding that develop maturity and wisdom. In James 1:2-4 it says, “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete not lacking in anything.” Now to explain the intention and purpose of the paper:

To begin, I would like point out that this paper was for my college English class and of the 6 teachers and professors (including my English professor) who looked over my paper, all of them considered my paper of excellent quality deserving an A. The prerequisites for this research paper, as questioned earlier, were to find a topic we felt passionately about and to prove it with our research in a 7- 9 page paper. I could have added more examples and research but the page limit restricted me.

amongstweeds

"I got through the abstract."
Well how can you judge or even debate against it if you haven't even looked into what you are talking about? You should read the whole paper before making a judgement. I don't like abstracts, they can never show the full picture.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Recently my dad pointed out to me that there were posts about the show on TOL and that there were some both for and against me and my point so, I felt it would be best if I come on to defend myself as the author of the discussed paper.
First of all I will defend myself from the accusations of me not being a scholar and from the teenage stereotype I see so prevalent in this forum. Webster's dictionary refers to a scholar as a pupil or student, which I am. Also I am not a student of normal caliber for my age; I attend a school called "The Academy for Health and Medical Sciences" through which I will be receiving an associate's degree in general sciences for high school. Every year they only accept 30 students based on academic achievement and an entrance exam. As for my writing abilities, (which do not change the merit of my research and conclusions in anyway) I scored the highest grade on the language arts section of the HSPAs in my school's history. Not only am I different scholastically but I am also different from the normal teenager. Although it has been suggested that I have never been asked on a date and therefore I am just attacking those who ignore me, this is not true. Yes, usually I do not get "asked out" by high school boys, I do seem to attract persistent college boys, whom I politely turn down. Also, from being a geek and not being accepted in elementary and middle school, I have learned the destructive habits of the modern day youth and seen their repercussions first hand. Many connect maturity with age, when really being young doesn't make you immature or unwise; it is your experiences and understanding that develop maturity and wisdom. In James 1:2-4 it says, “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete not lacking in anything.” Now to explain the intention and purpose of the paper:

To begin, I would like point out that this paper was for my college English class and of the 6 teachers and professors (including my English professor) who looked over my paper, all of them considered my paper of excellent quality deserving an A. The prerequisites for this research paper, as questioned earlier, were to find a topic we felt passionately about and to prove it with our research in a 7- 9 page paper. I could have added more examples and research but the page limit restricted me.
:BRAVO:

Welcome to TOL, amongstweeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.