User Tag List

Page 12 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 711

Thread: I Love Jesus and I Accept Evolution

  1. #166
    Over 2500 post club Alate_One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,699
    Thanks
    156
    Thanked 362 Times in 269 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    110080
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktoyou View Post
    I know you are and a bit of a cuckoo too, my guess?
    There many people here who are far more cuckoo than me . . . I'm just entertained somewhat by arguing. ^_^

    What are you trying to do? Biologise us into changing our beliefs?
    More to just represent an alternative and growing position in the church at large.
    As long as you realise you are a bit of a oddball here?
    Isn't everyone and oddball here? (well everyone that isn't a mid acts, open theist).

    Have never run into any Christian with those particular beliefs before coming here.
    “We do not believe in God because we need to explain this or that feature of the world. That is what science is for. We believe in God because we see something deeper in the world, something that transcends the scientific explanations.” - Karl Giberson Ph.D.

    Some of the Evidence for Climate Change

    The Biologos Foundation - The science and faith of theistic evolution explained.

    What Darwin Never Knew

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Alate_One For Your Post:

    User Name (September 22nd, 2019)

  3. #167
    Over 2500 post club Alate_One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,699
    Thanks
    156
    Thanked 362 Times in 269 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    110080
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    Would you say that one could not understand most of the field of biology without having the "contemporary theory of biological evolution" as the foundation for one's education?
    Pretty much. It wouldn't make any sense anyway.
    Why else would the mitochondrion have DNA and ribosomes that look and function like bacteria? Why do genes from one organism work very well when inserted into another?

    Why does combination retroviral therapy work against HIV while sequential therapy does not?

    Evolution makes sense of how many parts of the human body are formed as well. It's really hard to avoid.
    “We do not believe in God because we need to explain this or that feature of the world. That is what science is for. We believe in God because we see something deeper in the world, something that transcends the scientific explanations.” - Karl Giberson Ph.D.

    Some of the Evidence for Climate Change

    The Biologos Foundation - The science and faith of theistic evolution explained.

    What Darwin Never Knew

  4. #168
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    19,504
    Thanks
    593
    Thanked 13,646 Times in 9,462 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147859
    Quote Originally Posted by Alate_One View Post
    When the American Association for the Advancement of Science calls it "a well supported idea" and some random person on the internet calls it nonsense. I think I'm going to go with the AAAS.
    That's because you need to hide behind authorities. You can't allow the evidence a fair hearing.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (September 22nd, 2019)

  6. #169
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    19,504
    Thanks
    593
    Thanked 13,646 Times in 9,462 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147859
    Quote Originally Posted by Alate_One View Post
    Why else would the mitochondrion have DNA and ribosomes that look and function like bacteria? Why do genes from one organism work very well when inserted into another?Why does combination retroviral therapy work against HIV while sequential therapy does not?
    There's a one-word answer to all these questions that gets given to you every time you ask them, but you refuse to address it.

    Evolution makes no sense of how many parts of the human body are formed. It's really hard to avoid.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (September 22nd, 2019)

  8. #170
    Over 2500 post club Alate_One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,699
    Thanks
    156
    Thanked 362 Times in 269 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    110080
    Quote Originally Posted by 7djengo7 View Post
    People reject the nonsense you call "evolution" because, um, it's nonsense.

    Since whales have no hands, whales have no fingers. See, fingers are parts of hands, and flippers are not hands. Since flippers are not hands, flippers have no fingers. Since flippers have no fingers, the bones component to flippers are not finger bones.

    The question is, why do you play make-believe that whales have fingers in their flippers?
    Uhh because they do?

    Gray whale skeleton.


    Articulating a whale flipper for display.


    If it looks like a finger bone, has joints like a finger bone, why isn't it a finger bone? If it's not a fingerbone, what is it? The arm has arm bones like ours, a humerus, radius and ulna, wrist and . . .fingers.
    “We do not believe in God because we need to explain this or that feature of the world. That is what science is for. We believe in God because we see something deeper in the world, something that transcends the scientific explanations.” - Karl Giberson Ph.D.

    Some of the Evidence for Climate Change

    The Biologos Foundation - The science and faith of theistic evolution explained.

    What Darwin Never Knew

  9. #171
    Over 2500 post club Alate_One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,699
    Thanks
    156
    Thanked 362 Times in 269 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    110080
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    That's because you need to hide behind authorities. You can't allow the evidence a fair hearing.
    Been posting evidence this whole thread. You still won't discuss it.
    “We do not believe in God because we need to explain this or that feature of the world. That is what science is for. We believe in God because we see something deeper in the world, something that transcends the scientific explanations.” - Karl Giberson Ph.D.

    Some of the Evidence for Climate Change

    The Biologos Foundation - The science and faith of theistic evolution explained.

    What Darwin Never Knew

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Alate_One For Your Post:

    User Name (September 22nd, 2019)

  11. #172
    Super Moderator JudgeRightly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    On the road
    Posts
    10,477
    Thanks
    35,413
    Thanked 8,903 Times in 5,727 Posts

    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147644
    Quote Originally Posted by Alate_One View Post
    Pretty much. It wouldn't make any sense anyway.
    Why else would the mitochondrion have DNA and ribosomes that look and function like bacteria? Why do genes from one organism work very well when inserted into another?

    Why does combination retroviral therapy work against HIV while sequential therapy does not?

    Evolution makes sense of how many parts of the human body are formed as well. It's really hard to avoid.
    Oh really? So if it came down to numbers (which it doesn't, due to it being an appeal to popularity), you would also say that the 30,000 US public high school teachers who do not endorse Darwinism in class, should be re-educated, or at the very least, are wrong?

    How about 100,000 college professors who agree that "intelligent design IS a serious scientific alternative to the Darwinian theory of evolution."

    How about the 60% of US medical doctors (about 570,000 of them) (medicine is an applied science in biology and other sciences) who reject the secular Darwinist explanation for our existence with three of five docs agreeing that either God initiated and guided the process that led to human life or that God specially created us human beings?


  12. #173
    Super Moderator JudgeRightly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    On the road
    Posts
    10,477
    Thanks
    35,413
    Thanked 8,903 Times in 5,727 Posts

    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147644
    Quote Originally Posted by Alate_One View Post
    Been posting evidence this whole thread. You still won't discuss it.
    You have yet to address this:


  13. #174
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    19,504
    Thanks
    593
    Thanked 13,646 Times in 9,462 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147859
    Quote Originally Posted by Alate_One View Post
    Been posting evidence this whole thread. You still won't discuss it.
    First things first: Adopt a rational position regarding what you believe. Quit asserting your ideas as gospel and leave room for the possibility that they might be overturned.

    You know: Science.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    Bright Raven (September 22nd, 2019),JudgeRightly (September 22nd, 2019),Right Divider (September 23rd, 2019)

  15. #175
    Over 6000 post club 6days's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    6,124
    Thanks
    1,139
    Thanked 4,370 Times in 2,552 Posts

    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1852754
    Quote Originally Posted by Alate_One
    (Jesus Christ) death burial and resurrection are unique and leads me to believe His claims of Godhood.
    Excellent! But... if Jesus was Godhead, why was physical death and resurrection necessary for our salvation? 1 Cor. 15 and Romans 5 explain that Last Adam (Jesus) went to Calvary because death entered our world when first Adam sinned. The Gospel message rests on the foundation of the clear creation account account in[ Genesis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alate_One
    it is unfortunate that many Christians insist on rejecting science. This creates a stumbling block for many Christians where there need not be one.
    You are confusing common ancestry beliefs with science. It was not science that proclaimed our DNA was 98% junk. It was not science which proclaimed retroviruses and pseudogenes were biological remnants. It was not science that said Neandertals were dimwitted, inarticulate creatures. Common ancestry beliefs have actually hindered science... at times harmed people... and led to millions of youth not trusting basic tenants of Christianity such as virgin birth. (PEW Research)
    Without Genesis, absolutely nothing makes sense in all of Scripture.

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 6days For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (September 23rd, 2019),Right Divider (September 23rd, 2019),Stripe (September 23rd, 2019)

  17. #176
    Over 3000 post club
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,758
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 878 Posts

    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    291842
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    ...

    How about 100,000 college professors who agree that "intelligent design IS a serious scientific alternative to the Darwinian theory of evolution."
    I see this in your link, but I couldn't figure out where the 100,00 come from:

    "We also asked respondents to weigh in on the controversy over intelligent design. Our
    question asked respondents how much they agreed or disagreed with the following
    statement: “The theory of intelligent design IS a serious scientific alternative to the
    Darwinian theory of evolution.” Overall, 84.1 percent of professors surveyed disagreed
    with the statement, with 75.3 percent registering strong disagreement. "

  18. #177
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    19,504
    Thanks
    593
    Thanked 13,646 Times in 9,462 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147859
    Quote Originally Posted by chair View Post
    I see this in your link, but I couldn't figure out where the 100,00 come from:
    The number is three.

    Now, make something of it.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (September 23rd, 2019)

  20. #178
    Over 3000 post club
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,758
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 878 Posts

    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    291842
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    The number is three.

    Now, make something of it.
    Theer is nothing like that in the source quoted.
    http://web.archive.org/web/201007112.../religions.pdf

    Maybe it is in one of the other sources?

  21. #179
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    10,644
    Thanks
    2,095
    Thanked 1,935 Times in 1,428 Posts

    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    534610
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Theories are stronger than scientific laws.
    Scientific laws are descriptions of observable natural phenomenon.
    Scientific theories are scientific hypotheses that have been approved by consensus.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  22. #180
    Body part Right Divider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    16,442
    Thanks
    15,063
    Thanked 22,527 Times in 12,832 Posts

    Blog Entries
    7
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147721

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    Scientific laws are descriptions of observable natural phenomenon.
    Scientific theories are scientific hypotheses that have been approved by consensus.
    It takes much more than being "approved by consensus" to make a scientific theory.
    Last edited by Right Divider; September 23rd, 2019 at 02:12 PM. Reason: typo
    All of my ancestors are human.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    That explains why your an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
    Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

    1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
    (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

    Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Right Divider For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (September 23rd, 2019),The Barbarian (September 23rd, 2019)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 1 guests)

  1. Alate_One,
  2. Arthur Brain

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us