toldailytopic: Psychic readings: Scam? Something worse? Or do some people actually ha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Mr Granite,

Are you going to complain over everything I say?

Please do not tell me to grow up just because you don't like what I said to you about ghosts or whatever.

Thank you.

ps
My cousin has seen a UFO so I'm probably accustomed to your pov.

pps
You could put me on ignore and then I could talk about what you say without having to worry about offending you, if you like.

You have no idea what my POV is and strike me as a silly little troll. Please do me a favor and leave me alone.

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
I accept it because I've seen it myself, and detect no evidence of trickery or deception. A belief in some form of an afterlife doesn't require or necessitate a belief in any kind of deity. You seem to be saying it does, for some reason.

Care to flesh out the details of how you became convinced? And, what is your theory on how it is possible for the mind to continue without the body?

rainee

To the rest of you but Granite,
Perhaps I should not have blatantly put down what he and others claim
regarding this subject. Maybe I did step over a line. But to knock a belief system while participating in one is irrational. And this is partly what is so irritating about the manic support of the evolution theory.

Also the next time one of you wishes to call me rude or insult anyone simply as your way of putting me or other people in their place - please oh please do not be such an easy hypocrite to reveal. If you are known to be rude, for heavens sake - don't call me rude!
Some of you are what you cry out against! Good gravy don't be so easy.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Care to flesh out the details of how you became convinced? And, what is your theory on how it is possible for the mind to continue without the body?

I've seen and communicated with the dead. That was more than enough to convince me...

I have no idea, really, how it actually works. All I know is that it does.

Memento Mori

I've seen and communicated with the dead. That was more than enough to convince me...

Well then you're not a True Atheist. I'm going to need your badge, gun, and protest signs back...

rainee

BRRRAAACCCKK!!

OH Good Grief - talking to the dead???

Ok, Let me rephrase what I said

I said "But to knock a belief system while participating in one is irrational"

BUT what I meant was: to knock a belief system FOR BEING A BELIEF SYSTEM while participating in A DIFFERENT one is irrational.

Thank you.

So why do I knock someone claiming they have talked with the dead?

Because my belief system says this is not a good thing!

It says This Is BAD anyway you look at it!

Either you are being snookered by mere humans and you are
gullible -

Or you as flesh and blood are messing with something you can't see and don't know -- HOW STUPID IS THAT?

I'm sorry but really let's think about this folks...
Would you get on a phone and talk to just anybody while telling them where you were and who you were??
What if they said they were a family member and were not?
If humans can be bad think about other things that can be bad!

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
Ok, but what was said that was so convincing? How could you differentiate actual communication with the dead with 1) clever intuition of the medium, 2) vagueness of the medium where you filled in the blanks, and 3) your very human wish that we do not really die that bread your willingness to overlook any inconsistencies?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

:mock: :sozo: :rip:

:rotfl:

Talk about can't see the forest for the trees...

Gerald

Resident Fiend
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 1st, 2010 10:14 AM

toldailytopic: Psychic readings: Scam? Something worse? Or do some people actually have psychic abilities?

Scam.

Psychic abilities have never once been conclusively demonstrated to function under controlled conditions.

Believers in psi attribute this phenomenon to the controlled conditions having an inhibitive effect on psychic abilities.

This is also known as the "shyness effect": "when a skeptic is near, psychic powers disappear."

Convenient, that... :think:

Last edited:

One Eyed Jack

Ok, but what was said that was so convincing? How could you differentiate actual communication with the dead with 1) clever intuition of the medium, 2) vagueness of the medium where you filled in the blanks, and 3) your very human wish that we do not really die that bread your willingness to overlook any inconsistencies?

Frankly, I think Granite is too smart to fall for a cold-reader. I think he (and the medium) could have been fooled by a demon in disguise, much like my cousin's "angels."

Granite

Hall of Fame

The medium would have had to do an incredible amount of research to dupe me and my wife. There is zero reason for her to have done this. Vagueness isn't a factor: she's quite specific. And last but not least, seeing specters in your house pretty much is enough to cinch it.

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
Frankly, I think Granite is too smart to fall for a cold-reader. I think he (and the medium) could have been fooled by a demon in disguise, much like my cousin's "angels."
He is certainly smart enough to fool himself. No demon needed.

Last edited:

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
The medium would have had to do an incredible amount of research to dupe me and my wife. There is zero reason for her to have done this. Vagueness isn't a factor: she's quite specific. And last but not least, seeing specters in your house pretty much is enough to cinch it.

So, are specific examples of what she knew too personal for the forum?

Can we see if any of those results are repeatable? I live free or die in September.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
I'm sorry but really let's think about this folks...
Would you get on a phone and talk to just anybody while telling them where you were and who you were??
What if they said they were a family member and were not?
If humans can be bad think about other things that can be bad!
What sorts of "other things"?

Are you referring to undetectable non-corporeal volitional entities that interact with human beings in verifiable ways?

There is no compelling reason to believe that such entities exist.

Quincy

Not that Granite needs any backup, but I can say I've experienced many paranormal things myself. I don't doubt what he is saying at all. I've seen orbs I couldn't debunk, I've been "scratched" by an incorporeal entity or perhaps better to say singed, and I've had a medium give me detailed directions and landmarks to find my way through a forest to find three objects that there is no way she could have known were there since she has never been to the US. and yes I've met the woman personally in Canada and I know she has never been to the US, especially where I live.

I can't speak for Granite but I think he might agree when I say I don't need to prove it to anyone. I know what I experienced and quite frankly I don't expect anyone who hasn't experienced it to believe me. I will however ask that people actually go do a few months or years of research in the field to be able to validate their skepticism instead of playing armchair quarterback on an internet forum where there is no chance him or I could convince you of anything.

Granite

Hall of Fame
So, are specific examples of what she knew too personal for the forum?

Can we see if any of those results are repeatable? I live free or die in September.

No, they're not, but I don't think they'd be good enough to persuade anyone. Things like knowing what my grandfather looked like, what type of cigarettes he smoked. (And all due respect, this woman is my friend, not a dancing bear. Not that I think you were necessarily implying as much. She's also getting married in September so she'll probably be a little tied up.)

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Not that Granite needs any backup, but I can say I've experienced many paranormal things myself. I don't doubt what he is saying at all. I've seen orbs I couldn't debunk, I've been "scratched" by an incorporeal entity or perhaps better to say singed, and I've had a medium give me detailed directions and landmarks to find my way through a forest to find three objects that there is no way she could have known were there since she has never been to the US. and yes I've met the woman personally in Canada and I know she has never been to the US, especially where I live.

I can't speak for Granite but I think he might agree when I say I don't need to prove it to anyone. I know what I experienced and quite frankly I don't expect anyone who hasn't experienced it to believe me. I will however ask that people actually go do a few months or years of research in the field to be able to validate their skepticism instead of playing armchair quarterback on an internet forum where there is no chance him or I could convince you of anything.

I agree completely dude, and thanks for the assist.

As skeptical as I was (and am, about most things), I cannot deny the reality of what I've experienced, much as I'd prefer to.

rainee

What sorts of "other things"?

Are you referring to undetectable non-corporeal volitional entities that interact with human beings in verifiable ways?

There is no compelling reason to believe that such entities exist.

Granite needs to apologize to me for talking so ugly to me.

Then maybe I can chat and stuff. :plain:

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
No, they're not, but I don't think they'd be good enough to persuade anyone. Things like knowing what my grandfather looked like, what type of cigarettes he smoked.

These details would constitute proof to me as long as they were not eleicited from you OR were not a part of several details some of which were "misses".

(And all due respect, this woman is my friend, not a dancing bear. Not that I think you were necessarily implying as much. She's also getting married in September so she'll probably be a little tied up.)
If the wedding takes place on the Mt Washington maybe I am already invited -- that's why I am headed there. Hope to see that dancing bear in a white dress.

Status
Not open for further replies.