Thread: Hurricane Dorian Becomes the 5th Atlantic Category 5 in 4 Years

Thanks
    Thanked 3,622 Times in 2,442 Posts

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Hurricane Dorian Becomes the 5th Atlantic Category 5 in 4 Years

Hurricane Dorian intensified into a Category 5 on Sunday morning, becoming the fifth Atlantic hurricane in the past four years to reach this highest level on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale.

Dorian's intensification into a Category 5 marked the fourth year in a row the Atlantic basin has had at least one hurricane reach that strength. That's the most consecutive years on record with at least one Category 5 in the Atlantic, topping a three-year stretch from 2003 to 2005.

Category 5 hurricanes are rare and have maximum sustained winds 157 mph or greater. They can unleash devastating winds and catastrophic storm surge when they strike land.

Winds in Dorian reached 185 mph at 12:40 p.m. EDT on Sunday, according to the National Hurricane Center. That puts Dorian in a tie for the second-highest sustained wind speed among all Atlantic hurricanes.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane...y-five-history

Well, they used to be rare. Warmer seas means stronger storms.
    This message is hidden because ...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Barbarian For Your Post:

Town Heretic (September 1st, 2019)

Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,666 Times in 9,470 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Global warming I mean climate change.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

"The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (September 2nd, 2019),Right Divider (September 2nd, 2019)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember when Barbarian used to holler that single events were weather, not climate.
    E≈mc2

-Bob B.

Thanks

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    I remember when Barbarian used to holler that single events were weather, not climate.
    "Weather is the day-to-day state of the atmosphere, and its short-term variation in minutes to weeks. People generally think of weather as the combination of temperature, humidity, precipitation, cloudiness, visibility, and wind. ... Climate is the weather of a place averaged over a period of time, often 30 years." -- https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/arctic-...s_weather.html

Thanks

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Global warming I mean climate change.
    Las Vegas has recorded a record for most consecutive days over 105 degrees in August. Global warming? I'd say so. Seems pretty warm to me.

July was pretty hot too. "July 2019 was the hottest July and the hottest month on record globally since temperature records began in a year of many record-breaking temperatures as heat waves hit many parts of the world." -- https://time.com/5652972/july-2019-hottest-month/

Higher temperatures mean larger and stronger hurricanes.

Thanks

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    One category 5 Hurricane is weather, although they used to be rare. A string of them, year after year, is climate.

It doesn't seem that complicated to me.

Back in 2007, this was predicted:

Projections: “Based on a range of models, it is likely that future tropical cyclones (typhoons and hurricanes) will become more intense, with larger peak wind speeds and more heavy precipitation associated with ongoing increases of tropical sea surface temperatures. There is less confidence in projections of a global decrease in numbers of tropical cyclones. The apparent increase in the proportion of very intense storms since 1970 in some regions is much larger than simulated by current models for that period.”
    https://judithcurry.com/2010/09/13/h...-post-katrina/

And here we are. It's going to get worse for the forseeable future.

Insurance Rates Skyrocket on Alabama Gulf Coast
    https://www.insurancejournal.com/new...7/17/70485.htm

9. The Following User Says Thank You to The Barbarian For Your Post:

Alate_One (September 2nd, 2019)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    One category 5 Hurricane is weather, although they used to be rare. A string of them, year after year, is climate.
    Because you say so?

Seems like in a data set of that size over less than a century, five in a row at some point would not be unexpected.
    E≈mc2

-Bob B.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Thou shalt be visited of the LORD of hosts with thunder, and with earthquake, and great noise, with storm and tempest, and the flame of devouring fire".

Hint, hint.
    I know Him, correctly, as Messiah whom you call Christ. Yah Shua whom you call Jesus. Messianists who you call Christians.

"Touch not mine anointed, and do my prophets no harm".

I refuse, point blank, to speak peace to the unregenerate, hypocrites, religious dogma lovers and those that oppose the following statement:
    A regenerate man trusts in the evangelism of salvation conditioned on the atoning blood and imputed justness of Messiah alone.
    If you are fully persuaded, by experience, of this delightful, beautiful and life giving doctrine then I love you as a brother.

Anyone who thinks that salvation is conditioned on anything a man thinks, does or says is atheist. I cannot and will not speak peace to him or her.

I don't make statements online that I wouldn't repeat in front of my Maker, my grandmother or a judge.

Thanks

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Truster View Post
    "Thou shalt be visited of the LORD of hosts with thunder, and with earthquake, and great noise, with storm and tempest, and the flame of devouring fire".

Hint, hint.
    Yeah, we have a few people like that here. Put them on ignore. Works for me.

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Yah Veh is slow to anger and great in power; Yah Veh will by no means leave the guilty unpunished. His path is in the whirlwind and storm, and clouds are the dust beneath His feet".

If further hints are necessary...
    I know Him, correctly, as Messiah whom you call Christ. Yah Shua whom you call Jesus. Messianists who you call Christians.

I refuse, point blank, to speak peace to the unregenerate, hypocrites, religious dogma lovers and those that oppose the following statement:
    A regenerate man trusts in the evangelism of salvation conditioned on the atoning blood and imputed justness of Messiah alone.
    If you are fully persuaded, by experience, of this delightful, beautiful and life giving doctrine then I love you as a brother.

Anyone who thinks that salvation is conditioned on anything a man thinks, does or says is atheist. I cannot and will not speak peace to him or her.

I don't make statements online that I wouldn't repeat in front of my Maker, my grandmother or a judge.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Yeah, we have a few people like that here. Put them on ignore. Works for me.
    Barbarian is asked to back up his assertion, but as usual, he runs for the hills.

Come on, Barbarian. It would be a fairly straightforward piece of statistics. You've got all the data at your fingertips. Tell us: What are the odds that five such storms in five years would arise by chance. I'm just gonna guess and say better than even. There, you could prove me wrong. Tempting, um?
    E≈mc2

-Bob B.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

Over 3000 post club
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 879 Posts

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are two separate questions about global warming/climate change. For some reason people mix up the two.
    1. Is the climate changing? This is a factual question. It either is or isn't. There isn't an ideological or religious factor here. Just facts.
    2. Assuming that the answer to 1 is yes: What is causing the climate change? This is more difficult to assess, and it is hard to prove that it is caused by humans or not.

The answer to #1 is yes. It's a fact.

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"And lest, when he hears the words of this curse and oath, he flatters and congratulates himself in his [mind and] heart, saying, I shall have peace and safety, though I walk in the stubbornness of my [mind and] heart [bringing down a hurricane of destruction] and sweep away the watered land with the dry."

The hurricane is an insrtument of terror and judgement.

TOL Legend
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"So dost Thou pursue them with Thy whirlwind, And with Thy hurricane troublest them".

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,388 Times in 7,692 Posts

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chair View Post
    1. Is the climate changing?

You mean, how come the ancient Egyptians built their monuments and cities in the desert?

How come the inhabitants of Doggerland lived underwater?

Things like that?

Thread Information