User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: This is why your dog can maniuplate you

  1. #1
    TOL Legend The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    9,811
    Thanks
    230
    Thanked 3,224 Times in 2,174 Posts

    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    413086

    This is why your dog can maniuplate you

    Dogs’ Eyes Have Changed Since Humans Befriended Them

    Two specialized muscles give them a range of expression that wolves’ eyes lack.


    Dogs, more so than almost any other domesticated species, are desperate for human eye contact. When raised around people, they begin fighting for our attention when they’re as young as four weeks old. It’s hard for most people to resist a petulant flash of puppy-dog eyes—and according to a new study, that pull on the heartstrings might be exactly why dogs can give us those looks at all.

    A paper published today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences found that dogs’ faces are structured for complex expression in a way that wolves’ aren’t, thanks to a special pair of muscles framing their eyes. These muscles are responsible for that “adopt me” look that dogs can pull by raising their inner eyebrows. It’s the first biological evidence scientists have found that domesticated dogs might have evolved a specialized ability used expressly to communicate better with humans.

    For the study, a team at the University of Portsmouth’s Dog Cognition Centre looked at two muscles that work together to widen and open a dog’s eyes, causing them to appear bigger, droopier, and objectively cuter. The retractor anguli oculi lateralis muscle and the levator anguli oculi medialis muscle (mercifully known as RAOL and LAOM) form two short, straight lines, which connect the ring of muscle around a dog’s eye to either end of the brow above.
    ...
    That suggested the movement is to some degree voluntary. On our side of these longing glances, research has also shown that when dogs work these muscles, humans respond more positively. And both man and mutt benefit from a jolt of oxytocin when locked in on each other.
    ...
    In this case, those eyebrow-raising muscles do appear to be an addition to dogs’ anatomy. In the four gray wolves the researchers looked at, neither muscle was present. (They did find bundles of fibers that could be the precursors to the RAOL and LAOM.) In five of the six breeds of dogs the researchers looked at, both muscles were fully formed and strong; in the Siberian husky, the wolflike, oldest breed of the group, the researchers were unable to locate a RAOL.

    https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...=pocket-newtab
    This message is hidden because ...

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Barbarian For Your Post:

    annabenedetti (June 18th, 2019),Arthur Brain (June 18th, 2019),Rusha (June 19th, 2019)

  3. #2
    TOL Legend annabenedetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    13,323
    Thanks
    7,678
    Thanked 9,644 Times in 5,351 Posts

    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147744
    When my dog would lay her head on my lap and look up at me with those puppy dog eyes while I ate my lunch... did I give her a bite?

    Yes. Yes I did... every time. How I loved that dog.

    Tried and waited then got tired, that's about it

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (June 18th, 2019),Rusha (June 19th, 2019)

  5. #3
    Body part Right Divider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    15,681
    Thanks
    14,069
    Thanked 21,659 Times in 12,238 Posts

    Blog Entries
    7
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147710

    Lightbulb

    "objectively cuter"
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    That explains why your an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    You preach against me for preaching obedience to Christ for salvation.
    Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

    1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
    (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

    Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Right Divider For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (June 18th, 2019)

  7. #4
    TOL Legend The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    9,811
    Thanks
    230
    Thanked 3,224 Times in 2,174 Posts

    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    413086
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Divider View Post
    "objectively cuter"
    Yep. It's pretty much mathematical.

    First quantified by Konrad Lorenz. It's why, for example, dogs will adopt kittens, and cats will adopt puppies.

    Works with birds, too...

    This message is hidden because ...

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to The Barbarian For Your Post:

    Rusha (June 19th, 2019)

  9. #5
    Body part Right Divider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    15,681
    Thanks
    14,069
    Thanked 21,659 Times in 12,238 Posts

    Blog Entries
    7
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147710

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Yep. It's pretty much mathematical.
    You have fun idea of "objective".
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    That explains why your an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    You preach against me for preaching obedience to Christ for salvation.
    Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

    1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
    (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

    Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

  10. #6
    Censorship is the height of vanity Rusha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    13,224
    Thanks
    20,923
    Thanked 4,753 Times in 2,723 Posts

    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147758
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    When my dog would lay her head on my lap and look up at me with those puppy dog eyes while I ate my lunch... did I give her a bite?

    Yes. Yes I did... every time. How I loved that dog.
    Not only do I feed mine while eating a meal, I actually go to the fridge to get them a treat just because of those puppy eyes.
    TRUST
    is a fragile thing.

    Easy to break, Easy to lose
    and one of the hardest things to
    ever get back.








  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rusha For Your Post:

    annabenedetti (June 19th, 2019)

  12. #7
    TOL Legend annabenedetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    13,323
    Thanks
    7,678
    Thanked 9,644 Times in 5,351 Posts

    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147744
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusha View Post
    Not only do I feed mine while eating a meal, I actually go to the fridge to get them a treat just because of those puppy eyes.

    Same...

    Tried and waited then got tired, that's about it

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

    Rusha (June 19th, 2019)

  14. #8
    TOL Legend The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    9,811
    Thanks
    230
    Thanked 3,224 Times in 2,174 Posts

    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    413086
    Barbarian observes:
    Yep. It's pretty much mathematical.

    Quote Originally Posted by Right Divider View Post
    You have fun idea of "objective".
    I feel like the guy who said said he doesn't steal because it's dishonest, and someone says "you have a fun idea of honesty."
    This message is hidden because ...

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to The Barbarian For Your Post:

    Rusha (June 19th, 2019)

  16. #9
    TOL Legend The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    9,811
    Thanks
    230
    Thanked 3,224 Times in 2,174 Posts

    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    413086
    The science of cute: Why photos of baby animals make us happy
    https://www.dailyherald.com/article/...ife/160909974/
    This message is hidden because ...

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to The Barbarian For Your Post:

    Rusha (June 19th, 2019)

  18. #10
    Body part Right Divider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    15,681
    Thanks
    14,069
    Thanked 21,659 Times in 12,238 Posts

    Blog Entries
    7
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147710

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Barbarian observes:
    Yep. It's pretty much mathematical.

    I feel like the guy who said said he doesn't steal because it's dishonest, and someone says "you have a fun idea of honesty."
    False equivocation.... just like you use for your "theory of evolution".
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    That explains why your an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    You preach against me for preaching obedience to Christ for salvation.
    Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

    1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
    (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

    Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

  19. #11
    TOL Legend The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    9,811
    Thanks
    230
    Thanked 3,224 Times in 2,174 Posts

    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    413086
    Barbarian observes:
    Yep. It's pretty much mathematical.

    (suggestion that math is not "objective.")

    I feel like the guy who said said he doesn't steal because it's dishonest, and someone says "you have a fun idea of honesty."


    Quote Originally Posted by Right Divider View Post
    False equivocation....

    Depends on how you feel about math, I suppose.

    just like you use for your "theory of evolution".
    Depends on how you feel about evidence, I suppose.

    "Evidence for not just one but for all three of the species level and above types of stratomorphic intermediates expected by macroevolutionary theory is surely strong evidence for macroevolutionary theory. Creationists therefore need to accept this fact."
    YE creationist Kurt Wise, Toward a Creationist Understanding of Transitional Forms
    This message is hidden because ...

  20. #12
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    25,582
    Thanks
    4,164
    Thanked 9,742 Times in 7,254 Posts

    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147786
    Great strawman!

  21. #13
    Body part Right Divider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    15,681
    Thanks
    14,069
    Thanked 21,659 Times in 12,238 Posts

    Blog Entries
    7
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147710

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Barbarian observes:
    Yep. It's pretty much mathematical.

    (suggestion that math is not "objective.")

    I feel like the guy who said said he doesn't steal because it's dishonest, and someone says "you have a fun idea of honesty."
    Math is fine... some peoples non-objective math models are a different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    That explains why your an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    You preach against me for preaching obedience to Christ for salvation.
    Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

    1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
    (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

    Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

  22. #14
    TOL Legend The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    9,811
    Thanks
    230
    Thanked 3,224 Times in 2,174 Posts

    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    413086
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Divider View Post
    Math is fine... some peoples non-objective math models are a different story.
    If you step back and think about what you wrote, you'd probably realize that it isn't a very good argument.

    There's a lot of research on this, and it's all very well-supported:


    Infant Behav Dev. 2018 Nov;53:90-100. doi: 10.1016/j.infbeh.2018.08.001.
    Exploring the morphological and emotional correlates of infant cuteness.
    Almanza-Sepúlveda ML, Dudin A, Wonch KE, Steiner M, Feinberg DR5\, Fleming AS, Hall GB.
    Abstract
    Ethologists have observed that "baby schema" or infant cuteness is an adaptive protective mechanism ensuring the young's survival. Past efforts to quantify cuteness have been restricted to line measurement techniques. We developed a novel data-driven approach to quantify infant cuteness into a single metric. Using the Psychomorph program, we delineated facial elements of 72 infant pictures using 206 facial points and identified the facial components that were significantly related to subjective cuteness perceptions of the faces. 108 nulliparous females rated the pictures on cuteness and emotional dimensions. We found that cuter infants have larger cephalic curvature compared to a smaller chin, a big smile, and round chubby features among others. We also investigated the relationship between cuteness and emotional responses. Our results show that a greater degree of cuteness elicits both increased positive emotional responses and decreased negative emotional responses. Cuter infants also elicited greater feelings of alertness, interest, and the need to respond. In fact, the participants' emotional responses were predictive of both data-driven scores and subjective perceptions of cuteness.
    This message is hidden because ...

  23. #15
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    18,763
    Thanks
    491
    Thanked 12,451 Times in 8,858 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147848


    Reminds me of the time one Darwinist heard a bird chirping differently from others and said: "See?! Evolution!"
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    Right Divider (June 19th, 2019)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us