Thread: Evolution and its effects.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,348 Times in 2,268 Posts

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chair View Post
    There is the FACT of evolution. Observed facts. And there is the theory of evolution which attempts to explain the observed facts.
    And we have today's winner.

"It's just a theory" shows a profound ignorance of science. In science, "theory" is an idea that has been repeatedly confirmed by evidence. People with little understanding of science generally confuse "hypothesis" with "theory." A hypothesis is a testable, but untested explanation for a natural phenomenon. It becomes a theory only after being repeatedly tested and verified.

The confusion may have something to do with the use of the word in the legal profession which refers to hypotheses about the law as "theories."
    This message is hidden because ...

Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,017 Times in 9,145 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Maybe that's the problem for you. Try taking Him at his word, and see.
    Good idea!

The Bible says "six days" and "the whole world."

Game over, Darwinist. All you have left is vague threats over salvation and your uncontrollable rage.

Christians have different interpretations of Genesis.
    Thanks for that, Captain Obvious.

It's not a salvation issue. As a Darwinist, you won't lose your salvation, even if you insist that other Christians have to believe what you do about it.

Don't make an idol of your Darwinism. Accept that the Bible says what it says.

Quote Originally Posted by chair View Post
    There is the FACT of evolution.
    Nope. Evolution is just a theory.

I Know, I know...the earth is flat...
    Uh, suit yourself.

"It's just a theory" shows a profound ignorance of science.
    Nope. It's the foundation of scientific investigation. We hold our ideas up to the flame of experimentation and falsification. It is the religious fanatics who insist that their ideas are facts.

In science, "theory" is an idea that has been repeatedly confirmed by evidence.
    No theory is ever confirmed. Ever. You just exposed yourself as a scientific retard.

People with little understanding of science insist theories — especially their precious Darwinism — are facts.

A hypothesis ... becomes a theory only after being ... verified.
    Nope. Neither hypotheses nor theories are ever verified. Never.

You just exposed yourself as a scientific retard.

The confusion has everything to do with your religious devotion to your precious Darwinism.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

"The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (July 10th, 2019),Right Divider (July 10th, 2019),Yorzhik (July 10th, 2019)

Thanks

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Nothing in the world offers comfort to a Christian. It isn't meant to. Like gravity, evolution just is. A Christian should not fear the world; he has no need to do so.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like gravity, evolution just is.

How many times do you need to be taught this?

Gravity is a fact. Darwinists love putting their religion alongside undeniable, everyday observations and insisting that they are the same thing. Equivocation and obfuscation is their only play given how badly rational analysis of the evidence is going for them.

A Darwinist should fear the world; it denies everything that he has sold his soul to.
    E≈mc2

-Bob B.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (August 1st, 2019),Right Divider (August 1st, 2019)

Over 1000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post

How many times do you need to be taught this?

Gravity is a fact. Darwinists love putting their religion alongside undeniable, everyday observations and insisting that they are the same thing. Equivocation and obfuscation is their only play given how badly rational analysis of the evidence is going for them.

A Darwinist should fear the world; it denies everything that he has sold his soul to.
    Gravity is an observable fact. Anyone can look around them and see it in action. Not so with evolution. When I look around me I see God's handiwork, His creation, or what's left of it after 6000 years of sin and the degradation sin causes.
    “Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.”

“Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”

― Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ffreeloader For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (August 1st, 2019),Stripe (August 1st, 2019)

Thanks

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ffreeloader View Post
    Gravity is an observable fact.
    So is evolution. Anyone can look around them and see it in action. Just like gravity.

When I look around me I see God's handiwork, His creation
    Which includes evolution. When there's a new species evolved from and older one, do you doubt that it's God's creation?

Gravitational theory like evolutionary theory, explains these phenomena. In fact, evolutionary theory is more solid than gravitational theory, since we know why evolution works, but we still aren't sure why gravity works.

Over 1000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You remind me of an inlaw I have that passed away four years ago from cancer. The man was a liar born and bred. He'd rather tell me a lie than tell me the truth, about anything. And he swore up and down he never lied yet I caught him in so many it was impossible to keep track of them. Lying was his natural state of mind. Between that and his love of beating up his wives, and then bragging about it, he was a most unlikable man. The first time I met him he was bragging about how he had fractured the pelvis of his first wife. I wanted to take a baseball bat to the jerk.

“Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ffreeloader For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (August 1st, 2019),ok doser (August 1st, 2019)

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,058 Times in 7,492 Posts

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There's a good reason why barbie was widely recognized as the most dishonest poster on the site

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (August 1st, 2019)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So is evolution.
    Nope. It's just a theory.

Anyone can look around them and see it in action. Just like gravity.
    Nope, and even if random mutations and natural selection happened instantaneously and visibly, it would still be just a theory.

You're not very good at this, are you? Perhaps you don't know that in science it's not a bad thing to have your ideas called a theory. That allows them to be well defined and puts them up for testing and falsification.

This is how science advances. Hiding from progress is not the way to go.

When God created the kinds, do you doubt that it's His creation?

Gravitational theory
    Perhaps if you'd said "gravitational theory," you might have some sympathy.

However, there is no one-to-one analogy between the relationship between evolutionary theory and evolution, and gravitational theory and gravity.

For one, nobody is at all confident in their theories of how gravity works, while Darwinists insist that random mutations and natural selection are indisputably the drivers of evolution.

More importantly, "the fact of evolution" is defined as "change." We could notice that a son has different colored eyes from his father and the Darwinist would claim that as justification for — not the definition — his theory.

It's classic equivocation.

After 100 times explaining this issue to you, one would think it would have penetrated.

Evolutionary theory is more solid than gravitational theory, since we know why evolution works, but we still aren't sure why gravity works.
    1. Which theory of gravitation?
    2. What is the theory of evolution?
    3. What is the fact of gravity?
    4. What is the "fact of evolution"?

When you can set out those four things sensibly and stick to them, you might be able to participate in a rational discussion over the evidence.
    E≈mc2

-Bob B.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

ffreeloader (August 1st, 2019),JudgeRightly (August 1st, 2019),ok doser (August 1st, 2019)

Over 1000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I just have to ask....

It's classic equivocation.

After 100 times explaining this issue to you, one would think it would have penetrated.
    Why would you expect a very practiced skillful equivocator to ever honestly admit to anything? I guess, maybe, a lot of people don't have the same life experience that I have for I gave up on equivocators ever being honest with me many years ago. I have a brother like that who constantly used equivocation on me and he's never changed in the 60+ years I've known him, and an inlaw like that. He passed away 4 years ago from cancer but he'd been the same guy all his life. His brothers said he had been like that as a kid, a teenager, and an adult. He was 82 when he died. I guess I'm more than just a little cynical when it comes to liars.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ffreeloader For Your Post:

ok doser (August 1st, 2019)

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,058 Times in 7,492 Posts

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Barbie's been trolling the site for eighteen years

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I just have to ask....

Why would you expect a very practiced skillful equivocator to ever honestly admit to anything? I guess, maybe, a lot of people don't have the same life experience that I have for I gave up on equivocators ever being honest with me many years ago. I have a brother like that who constantly used equivocation on me and he's never changed in the 60+ years I've known him, and an inlaw like that. He passed away 4 years ago from cancer but he'd been the same guy all his life. His brothers said he had been like that as a kid, a teenager, and an adult. He was 82 when he died. I guess I'm more than just a little cynical when it comes to liars.
    It'd be a lot different with a real-life relationship. Responding to the posts this liar creates doesn't come with any obligations or commitments.

I'm on TOL to engage over the ideas and share a little humour. If the price of entry is to have to chide Barbarian for his stupidity every now and then, it's a cheap price.

Especially as if it becomes a burden there is always the ignore feature.

Brothers don't have those.
    E≈mc2

-Bob B.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (August 1st, 2019),ok doser (August 2nd, 2019)

Over 3000 post club
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 855 Posts

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So is evolution. Anyone can look around them and see it in action. Just like gravity.

Which includes evolution. When there's a new species evolved from and older one, do you doubt that it's God's creation?

Gravitational theory like evolutionary theory, explains these phenomena. In fact, evolutionary theory is more solid than gravitational theory, since we know why evolution works, but we still aren't sure why gravity works.
    Despite his detractors, The Barbarian is one of the most logical, patient posters in this forum.

Thanks

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    You remind me of an inlaw I have that passed away four years ago from cancer. The man was a liar born and bred. He'd rather tell me a lie than tell me the truth, about anything. And he swore up and down he never lied yet I caught him in so many it was impossible to keep track of them. Lying was his natural state of mind. Between that and his love of beating up his wives, and then bragging about it, he was a most unlikable man. The first time I met him he was bragging about how he had fractured the pelvis of his first wife. I wanted to take a baseball bat to the jerk.
    So you were bullied by a relative, and you're transferring resentment to me. That explains a lot of things, but it doesn't really help you. As you have seen, I document my claims.

I might disagree with your interpretation of things, but that doesn't make you a liar, even when you're demonstrably wrong. I'm sure you realize that, but you seem unable to understand that it applies to everyone else as well.

Losing an argument on your part, does not equate to someone else lying.

Do you realize how you appear to others when you abandon any attempt at reasoning, and merely call the other person a liar?

Last time I looked, that was a violation here. I won't report you, but someone else might.

Thanks

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Oh and this misconception...

Is only possible if one has no understanding of science whatever:

Part of the problem is that the word "theory" means something very different in lay language than it does in science: A scientific theory is an explanation of some aspect of the natural world that has been substantiated through repeated experiments or testing. But to the average Jane or Joe, a theory is just an idea that lives in someone's head, rather than an explanation rooted in experiment and testing.
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...science-words/

The other error is to confuse the phenomenon with the theory that explains it. Evolution isn't a theory; it's something we observe happening in the world. There are several theories that explain it, but the Modern Synthesis is the one that has been most successful in predicting how it works. And evolution is not the same thing as consequences of evolution, such as speciation, common descent, and increases in fitness.

Keep those things in mind and you won't embarrass yourself when talking to someone who knows science.

Thread Information