Thanked 2,921 Times in 2,821 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Offence of the Cross

Gal 5:11

And I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? then is the offence of the cross ceased.

One of the offences of the cross and a major one is the fact the Cross of Christ wasnt intended for nor was it for everyone without exception, but for the Sheep of Christ. Christ stated it plainly who He laid down His Life for Jn 10:11,15

11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

And to go beyond that is human speculation and cannot true Faith.
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

Charles Spurgeon !

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jesus had just stated earlier that He is the Door to the Sheep Jn 10:7-9

7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. 8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. 9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

Jesus makes a double emphasis Verily Verily, Truly Truly I say unto you, I am the Door of the Sheep. This speaks more to exclusiveness !

None can enter through the Door Jesus has provided but the Sheep.

To tell people Christ came to make a way to Salvation for all men without exception are denying the Offence of the Cross.

This Narrow way of the exclusiveness of the Cross is what Jesus meant when He uttered the words here Matt 7:14

because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

The few that find it of course are the Sheep !

Charles Spurgeon !

Thanks

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

beloved57

To tell people Christ came to make a way to Salvation for all men without exception are denying the Offence of the Cross.

This Narrow way of the exclusiveness of the Cross is what Jesus meant when He uttered the words here Matt 7:14

because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Amen to #1 and #2 !

The word for offence in Gal. 5:11 is the Greek word skandalon and means an impediment placed in the way and causes one to stumble.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang...gs=G4625&t=KJV

In the NT this word is always used metaphorically of anything that arouses prejudice or becomes a hindrance to others, or causes them to fall by the way.

Sometimes the hindrance is in itself good and those stumbled by it are the wicked.

So to Preach correctly according to the scriptures, that Christ is the Door exclusively of the Sheep, arouses prejudice; it's an impediment placed in the way of the wicked causing them to stumble [goats Mat. 25:41]; to become a stumblingblock to them.
    Last edited by Nanja; June 1st, 2019 at 04:53 PM.
    My soul thirsts for God, the God Who Lives Forever:
    when shall I be brought in to see His Face? -Psalm 42:2

Thanks
    Thanked 4,846 Times in 2,814 Posts

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    Jesus had just stated earlier that He is the Door to the Sheep Jn 10:7-9

[FONT="] [/FONT][FONT="][/FONT][FONT="]7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. [/FONT][FONT="][/FONT][FONT="]8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. [/FONT][FONT="][/FONT]9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

Jesus makes a double emphasis Verily Verily, Truly Truly I say unto you, I am the Door of the Sheep. This speaks more to exclusiveness !

None can enter through the Door Jesus has provided but the Sheep.

1 John 2:2 New International Version (NIV)
    2 He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

Jim Elliot

Over 1500 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bright Raven View Post
    1 John 2:2 New International Version (NIV)
    2 He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.
    The sins of the elect, whom John is addressing as well as the elect throughout the whole world.
    This is an easy passage to understand when you realize that John is writing to the children of God, not to the pagan nations.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MennoSota For Your Post:

Nang (June 3rd, 2019)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nanja View Post
    beloved57

Amen to #1 and #2 !

The word for offence in Gal. 5:11 is the Greek word skandalon and means an impediment placed in the way and causes one to stumble.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang...gs=G4625&t=KJV

In the NT this word is always used metaphorically of anything that arouses prejudice or becomes a hindrance to others, or causes them to fall by the way.

Sometimes the hindrance is in itself good and those stumbled by it are the wicked.

So to Preach correctly according to the scriptures, that Christ is the Door exclusively of the Sheep, arouses prejudice; it's an impediment placed in the way of the wicked causing them to stumble [goats Mat. 25:41]; to become a stumblingblock to them.
    Amen!

Charles Spurgeon !

8. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

Nanja (June 2nd, 2019)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
    The sins of the elect, whom John is addressing as well as the elect throughout the whole world.
    This is an easy passage to understand when you realize that John is writing to the children of God, not to the pagan nations.
    Yes it is easy. The Whole World in 1Jn 2:2 is again the Sheep.

Charles Spurgeon !

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

MennoSota (June 1st, 2019),Nanja (June 2nd, 2019)

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? then is the offence of the cross ceased.

One of the offences of the cross and a major one is the fact the Cross of Christ wasnt intended for nor was it for everyone without exception, but for the Sheep of Christ. Christ stated it plainly who He laid down His Life for Jn 10:11,15

15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

That's why we have to accept and have faith in Christ..........
    ........ to become the sheep that He died for.

That option (accepting Christ), is open to everyone!

TOL Subscriber
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The offence is the fact He hanged from a tree. "cursed is he who hangs from a tree". How can a cursed man be anything other than an offence.
    I know Him, correctly, as Messiah whom you call Christ. Yah Shua whom you call Jesus. Messianists who you call Christians.

"Touch not mine anointed, and do my prophets no harm".

I refuse, point blank, to speak peace to the unregenerate, hypocrites, religious dogma lovers and those that oppose the following statement:
    A regenerate man trusts in the evangelism of salvation conditioned on the atoning blood and imputed justness of Messiah alone.
    If you are fully persuaded, by experience, of this delightful, beautiful and life giving doctrine then I love you as a brother.

Anyone who thinks that salvation is conditioned on anything a man thinks, does or says is atheist. I cannot and will not speak peace to him or her.

I don't make statements online that I wouldn't repeat in front of my Maker, my grandmother or a judge.

Over 1500 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by betsy123 View Post
    That's why we have to accept and have faith in Christ..........
    ........ to become the sheep that He died for.

That option (accepting Christ), is open to everyone!
    Sounds like works salvation apart from grace.
    I didn't know humans had the power to make ourselves into sheep.
    Perhaps God has nothing to do with a person being separated out as a sheep. But, then again, what do you do with God's word?

Ephesians 1:3-6 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places,
    even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him.
    In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved.

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
    Sounds like works salvation apart from grace.
    I didn't know humans had the power to make ourselves into sheep.
    Perhaps God has nothing to do with a person being separated out as a sheep. But, then again, what do you do with God's word?

Ephesians 1:3-6 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places,
    even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him.
    In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved.
    To be a sheep, is to become a follower of Christ.
    Perhaps.....those who choose to accept Christ, are the predestined ones.
    After all, God already knows who will have faith in Him, and who will reject Him.

TOL Subscriber
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After all, God already knows who will have faith in Him, and who will reject Him.
    Saul of Tarsus didn't choose to follow The Messiah and neither did I. I was dragged kicking and screaming into the kingdom. Once I was in wild horses could not have dragged me out. I was a filthy, stinking and evil sinner and couldn't imagine that salvation was for the likes of me. What truly amazes me is that people like you think you deserve to be saved.
    I know Him, correctly, as Messiah whom you call Christ. Yah Shua whom you call Jesus. Messianists who you call Christians.

"Touch not mine anointed, and do my prophets no harm".

I refuse, point blank, to speak peace to the unregenerate, hypocrites, religious dogma lovers and those that oppose the following statement:
    A regenerate man trusts in the evangelism of salvation conditioned on the atoning blood and imputed justness of Messiah alone.
    If you are fully persuaded, by experience, of this delightful, beautiful and life giving doctrine then I love you as a brother.

Anyone who thinks that salvation is conditioned on anything a man thinks, does or says is atheist. I cannot and will not speak peace to him or her.

I don't make statements online that I wouldn't repeat in front of my Maker, my grandmother or a judge.

Over 1500 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be a sheep is to be chosen by God and receive the inheritance rather than the curse.

Matthew 25:31-34,41 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne.
    Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.
    And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left.
    Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.
    “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only way to become a follower of Christ is to already have been a Sheep.So your teaching here is false

Charles Spurgeon !

18. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

Nanja (June 8th, 2019)

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way to become a follower of Christ is to already have been a Sheep.So your teaching here is false
    The sheep is a disciple (follower) of Christ.
    The follower's life history could be anything - he could've been a mass murderer - but he becomes a sheep once he becomes a follower.

Can you please explain this:

How did the sheep know enough to follow Christ if the non-believer (who became the sheep),
    has not been introduced to Him? How did the sheep become a sheep?
    Are all sheep born into it?

What's the purpose of spreading the Gospel? Of all these talks about salvation?

What does Jesus mean about "harvest?"

Matthew 9:37
    Then He said to His disciples, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few.

What's the point of this?

Matthew 28
    Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Thread Information