User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: What did Christ say about the Law?

  1. #1
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    90
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    112

    What did Christ say about the Law?

    Now the law is based on God's holy nature and as such scripture states are holy, just, and unchanging, and we see this in the Ten Commandments. But then you also have the ceremonial law which focused the people’s attention on God and gave the people signs that point to the coming Messiah, such as the Passover, and the sacrifices of the unblemished lamb by the priests. One was written with Gods own finger, and the other was from Moses.

    Matthew 5:17-19 King James Version (KJV)
    17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
    18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
    19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

    We see here that Jesus stated "Think not that I am come to destroy the law..but to fulfill", what did He mean? Now, since Jesus knew what laws His death would fulfill, would He be saying this about the Ten Commandments if He were going to fulfill them? So what was He fulfilling, it seems clear it was what pointed to Him, Moses’ ceremonial law which is evident if we see what Jesus said when asked about the Ten Commandments.

  2. #2
    Over 750 post club Bradley D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    804
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 244 Times in 165 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    168800
    Jesus was the only person ever to live that never sinned. Therefore, Jesus Christ fulfilled the law.

  3. #3
    Over 750 post club
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    970
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 163 Times in 128 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    11752
    Greetings Hobie,
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobie View Post
    Now the law is based on God's holy nature and as such scripture states are holy, just, and unchanging, and we see this in the Ten Commandments. But then you also have the ceremonial law which focused the people’s attention on God and gave the people signs that point to the coming Messiah, such as the Passover, and the sacrifices of the unblemished lamb by the priests. One was written with Gods own finger, and the other was from Moses.

    Matthew 5:17-19 King James Version (KJV): 17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

    We see here that Jesus stated "Think not that I am come to destroy the law..but to fulfill", what did He mean? Now, since Jesus knew what laws His death would fulfill, would He be saying this about the Ten Commandments if He were going to fulfill them? So what was He fulfilling, it seems clear it was what pointed to Him, Moses’ ceremonial law which is evident if we see what Jesus said when asked about the Ten Commandments.
    We are not under the Sabbath Law as Jesus is the True Rest, the true Sabbath. We are encouraged to find rest in him, not by keeping one day in seven.
    Matthew 11:28–30 (KJV): 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

    Kind regards
    Trevor

  4. #4
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    90
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley D View Post
    Jesus was the only person ever to live that never sinned. Therefore, Jesus Christ fulfilled the law.
    But yet the Law is part of God and His character, so does it continue. There are many that say they lift up Christ, yet hate and reject Gods Law which comes from love. It is nothing but a snare from evil which has been set up to excuse sin, the Law shows Gods love for man, how to keep from sin and how to love God back and our fellowman, and shows us His love in sending prophets and teachers to explain and illustrate His Law.

  5. #5
    Body part Right Divider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    15,395
    Thanks
    13,804
    Thanked 21,308 Times in 12,008 Posts

    Blog Entries
    7
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147706

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobie View Post
    We see here that Jesus stated "Think not that I am come to destroy the law..but to fulfill", what did He mean? Now, since Jesus knew what laws His death would fulfill, would He be saying this about the Ten Commandments if He were going to fulfill them? So what was He fulfilling, it seems clear it was what pointed to Him, Moses’ ceremonial law which is evident if we see what Jesus said when asked about the Ten Commandments.
    Misquoting scripture is an offense to God and creates falsehoods and confusion.

    Mat 5:17 KJV Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

    It's stunning how many try to make this all about the LAW ONLY. It's not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    That explains why your an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    You preach against me for preaching obedience to Christ for salvation.
    Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

    1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
    (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

    Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

  6. #6
    Over 750 post club Bradley D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    804
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 244 Times in 165 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    168800
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobie View Post
    But yet the Law is part of God and His character, so does it continue. There are many that say they lift up Christ, yet hate and reject Gods Law which comes from love. It is nothing but a snare from evil which has been set up to excuse sin, the Law shows Gods love for man, how to keep from sin and how to love God back and our fellowman, and shows us His love in sending prophets and teachers to explain and illustrate His Law.
    The Law is to make us conscious of our sin.

    "Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God's sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin" (Romans 3:20).

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us