User Tag List

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 380

Thread: Does anyone believe in Evolution anymore?

  1. #31
    Over 4000 post club glassjester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,830
    Thanks
    604
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,079 Posts

    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    293911
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    You should let scripture speak for itself sometime. You'd be surprised at how many issues are resolved simply by taking God at His Word.
    But every one of those denominations claims to be doing exactly that: taking God at His Word, letting Scripture speak for itself. And they all really believe that.

    So if thousands of denominations of Christianity can all truly believe that they're taking God at His Word, and still all be wrong, then how do you know you're interpretation is the right one? Remember, all the people you say are wrong feel like they're just as right (and just as guided by the Holy Spirit) as you are.

    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    There's your problem.

    "Man-made."
    I don't have that problem, though.
    Your "catholic" is showing. - Sozo

  2. #32
    Over 4000 post club glassjester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,830
    Thanks
    604
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,079 Posts

    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    293911
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Brain View Post
    But then who decides what's being taken out of context and which version of the Bible is the most accurately translated from the original texts?
    It's almost as if God should have provided a teaching and interpretive authority, like some kind of a "pillar of truth" or something. Hm...
    Your "catholic" is showing. - Sozo

  3. #33
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    26,010
    Thanks
    4,427
    Thanked 10,027 Times in 7,475 Posts

    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147792
    Quote Originally Posted by glassjester View Post
    It's almost as if God should have provided a teaching and interpretive authority, like some kind of a "pillar of truth" or something. Hm...
    He did

    John 14:26

  4. #34
    Journeyman Hobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    216
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
    I believe in selected elements of evolution.
    I believe that Young Earthers are insane, and I believe that atheists are nuts.

    I believe that God created the universe and all things and that he created ma in his own image. Beyond that, the timeline for all this and how it was accomplished is not what it appears to be in the Bible.

    I don't think that real history, as in factual historical facts, begins in the Bible until the story of Abraham. Taking the Genesis creation account literally is not a proper reading of it in my opinion.

    In Sacred Scripture, God speaks to man in a human way. To interpret Scripture correctly, the reader must be attentive to what the human authors truly wanted to affirm, and to what God wanted to reveal to us by their words. In order to discover the sacred authors' intention, the reader must take into account the conditions of their time and culture, the literary genres in use at that time, and the modes of feeling, speaking and narrating then current.

    The fact is, Genesis 1 is meant to teach one thing and one thing only: That God created everything out of nothing, that he created man in his own image, that man separated himself from God through disobedience, and that God immediately set about the long - or at least it seems long to us - process of healing that rift, a process which culminated with the death and resurrection of Christ. That is ALL it teaches.

    Everything in Genesis is meant to convey that truth, but it is done in the ancient Semitic style of writing, using allegories, fantastic imagery, and all based on traditions that were handed down for centuries. I do not believe there was a serpent, or a tree, or a garden, etc. These are all images & allegories, in a certain style of writing, meant to convey the fundamental truth I stated above.
    But even the 'Big Bang' is now being found out to be wrong as the Universe is way too big to have started that way.

  5. #35
    Over 3000 post club
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,677
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 855 Posts

    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    285396
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobie View Post
    But even the 'Big Bang' is now being found out to be wrong as the Universe is way too big to have started that way.
    1. How about a source for the above
    2. "Big Bang" is not Evolution. Please don't confuse the two.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to chair For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (June 23rd, 2019)

  7. #36
    TOL Legend The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    10,114
    Thanks
    245
    Thanked 3,347 Times in 2,267 Posts

    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    415238
    It seems that the more we learn as scientific and archaeological finds come to light, the less people believe in Evolution.
    That's a testable belief. Let's take a look...

    In U.S., Belief in Creationist View of Humans at New Low



    WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The percentage of U.S. adults who believe that God created humans in their present form at some time within the last 10,000 years or so -- the strict creationist view -- has reached a new low. Thirty-eight percent of U.S. adults now accept creationism, while 57% believe in some form of evolution -- either God-guided or not -- saying man developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life.

    https://news.gallup.com/poll/210956/...s-new-low.aspx

    Clearly false. Even among the general public, awareness that evolution is the only way to explain the evidence is growing.

    Last time I checked (using the "scientists who doubt Darwin" list compared to Project Steve, it turned out that about 0.3% of scientists with a doctorate in biology or a related discipline, don't accept evolutionary theory.

    That's not 3%; it's 0.3 percent.

    Again, massively false.
    This message is hidden because ...

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to The Barbarian For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (June 23rd, 2019)

  9. #37
    TOL Legend The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    10,114
    Thanks
    245
    Thanked 3,347 Times in 2,267 Posts

    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    415238
    Quote Originally Posted by chair View Post
    1. How about a source for the above
    2. "Big Bang" is not Evolution. Please don't confuse the two.
    People who hate science generally don't know very much about it.
    This message is hidden because ...

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to The Barbarian For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (June 23rd, 2019)

  11. #38
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    19,135
    Thanks
    542
    Thanked 12,998 Times in 9,138 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147853
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    That's a testable belief. Let's take a look...In U.S., Belief in Creationist View of Humans at New Low That's not 3%; it's 0.3 percent.Again, massively false.
    Darwinists love it when the discussion is over who believes what and how many of them there are.

    They think it's evidence.

    People who hate science generally don't know how to do it.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (June 24th, 2019)

  13. #39
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Posts
    16,003
    Thanks
    9,925
    Thanked 7,769 Times in 5,219 Posts

    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Darwinists love it when the discussion is over who believes what and how many of them there are.

    They think it's evidence.

    People who hate science generally don't know how to do it.
    Yeah, a bit like people who conflate evolution with the origin of life and the big bang etc...


  14. #40
    Over 3000 post club
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,677
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 855 Posts

    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    285396
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Darwinists love it when the discussion is over who believes what and how many of them there are.

    They think it's evidence.

    People who hate science generally don't know how to do it.
    Hobie, who brought this up in the first place, is a Darwinist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobie View Post
    It seems that the more we learn as scientific and archaeological finds come to light, the less people believe in Evolution.

  15. #41
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    19,135
    Thanks
    542
    Thanked 12,998 Times in 9,138 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147853
    Quote Originally Posted by chair View Post
    Hobie, who brought this up in the first place, is a Darwinist?
    Darwinists love it when the discussion is over who said what first.

    Evidence? They run from it.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (June 24th, 2019),Yorzhik (June 25th, 2019)

  17. #42
    Over 3000 post club
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,677
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 855 Posts

    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    285396
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Darwinists love it when the discussion is over who said what first.

    Evidence? They run from it.
    Nah, you just don't like being shown in error. Or lying.

  18. #43
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    19,135
    Thanks
    542
    Thanked 12,998 Times in 9,138 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147853
    Quote Originally Posted by chair View Post
    Nah, you just don't like being shown in error. Or lying.
    Darwinists love talking about who said what. Anything to avoid a sensible discussion.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (June 24th, 2019)

  20. #44
    Over 3000 post club
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,677
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 855 Posts

    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    285396
    you forgot your dancing banana.
    let me know when you've read a book about thermodynamics or information theory. then you can have that scientific discussion you are so keen to have.

  21. #45
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    19,135
    Thanks
    542
    Thanked 12,998 Times in 9,138 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147853
    Quote Originally Posted by chair View Post
    you forgot your dancing banana.let me know when you've read a book about thermodynamics or information theory. then you can have that scientific discussion you are so keen to have.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us