Quote Originally Posted by WeberHome View Post

Human beings are intrinsically inferior to God in every way. However, there is one who has achieved equality with God via a special promotion.

Phil 2:9-11 . .God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

FAQ: What is "the" name that is above every name?

A: Jehovah (Isa 42:8)

In other words; as a reward for his immeasurable service to God and mankind, the human being Jesus Christ was given the right to us the name of God for his own name; and along with that name, all the honor, power, and reverence that goes with it. So that now, refusal to acknowledge Jesus Christ as Jehovah is all the same as refusing to acknowledge God as Jehovah.
_
I had a response to this but didn't get it submitted (and that was a few days ago) so this is not what I had hoped it to be, but....

Jesus makes it plain in John 17 that He was with the Father before the world was. He pre-existed. He was with the Father. Philippians 2:6 says He was in the form of God. Reading that whole passage, it's pretty clear that He took on the form of man after being in the form of God. John 1:1 says the Word was God :

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
John 1:1

And within a few verses, it is made a personal thing ("he", not "it")

The same was in the beginning with God.
All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

John 1:2-4

And just to make it abundantly clear, that pre-existing Word is identified clearly with Christ :

And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.

John 1:14-15

So it seems clear to me that Jesus was God and came to earth as a man.

Now...to the name. I was immediately reminded of Isaiah's prophecy :

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.

Isaiah 9:6-7

Those underlined titles appear to be consonant (if not entirely equivalent) with calling Him God (Counsellor an allusion - if indirect - to the Holy Spirit). And the portion about His name is directly applicable to your post. Note that it is in the future. In other words, it is pointing to the child being born. It is pointing to the incarnation - recognizing the identity but seeing it from an earthly standpoint. In other words, it wasn't God visibly coming to earth as God so that the prophecy would say "God is coming to earth" but rather that a provision is being sent. These names could not be given to someone who isn't already Deity (Isaiah 42:8).

So where does that leave us with Him being given a name? Having established His pre-existence (with the Father!), His form as God and His incarnation, that name implies an office. A unique office :

This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Acts 4:11-12

And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof?
And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon.
And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon.
And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.
And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.

Revelation 5:2-6

That name doesn't mean He became God. It means He was put in a unique position of being Savior of the world. He was not a man (like Saul, for example) who needed to be saved and then was given a new name indicating some change. And as God does not give His glory to another, that name indicated that God published that new name by which salvation was available (and in that name alone). It was a unique office, a unique position, a unique role that could be filled by One and One alone. The name reflects that. And so God is glorified in that new name being uttered and published abroad to the ends of the earth - to the salvation of many. Jesus accomplished that which was given to Him to do by the Father and so He receives public acclaim correspondent to that.