User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36

Thread: 25% of Dutch people who died in 2017 were euthanized

  1. #1
    Over 4000 post club glassjester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,830
    Thanks
    604
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,079 Posts

    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    293912

    25% of Dutch people who died in 2017 were euthanized

    This is the slippery slope of "assisted suicide."

    https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...-dutch-deaths/


    In 2018, in the Netherlands, 67 people were euthanized due to mental illness!
    https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...e-netherlands/


    In 2015, 431 people were "assisted" in dying (actually, murdered) without even asking for it.
    https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...-request-2015/
    Your "catholic" is showing. - Sozo

  2. #2
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle,NY.
    Posts
    1,429
    Thanks
    287
    Thanked 407 Times in 290 Posts

    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    This article is from National Review, a very conservative rag . Therefore, it should be taken with a grain of salt . I seriously doubt 25 % of deaths in the Netherlands are through euthanasia .
    Last edited by The Horn; May 12th, 2019 at 12:00 PM.

  3. #3
    Over 4000 post club glassjester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,830
    Thanks
    604
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,079 Posts

    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    293912
    Quote Originally Posted by The Horn View Post
    This article is from National Review, a very conservative rag . Therefore, it should be taken with a grain if salt . I seriously doubt 25 % of deaths in the Netherlands are through euthanasia .
    Their source for that particular statistic was The Guardian. Is The Guardian a conservative rag, too?
    Your "catholic" is showing. - Sozo

  4. #4
    Over 750 post club
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Under the Hill and Over the Hedge
    Posts
    909
    Thanks
    333
    Thanked 461 Times in 331 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    151682
    Quote Originally Posted by The Horn View Post
    This article is from National Review, a very conservative rag . Therefore, it should be taken with a grain if salt . I seriously doubt 25 % of deaths in the Netherlands are through euthanasia .
    I couldn't find numbers for the number of deaths in the Netherlands in 2018 but in 2017 it was 150,414 from all causes. 25% of that is 37,604. So yea not even close.
    In 2015 the number of deaths was 147,134 with 25% being 36,784. A long way from 431 which is .003%

    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-netherlands/
    "Repubs must not allow [The President] to subvert the Constitution of the US for his own benefit & because he is unable to negotiate w/ Congress," Donald Trump

  5. #5
    Over 750 post club
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Under the Hill and Over the Hedge
    Posts
    909
    Thanks
    333
    Thanked 461 Times in 331 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    151682
    I found the Netherlands government site that tracks the statistics. Unfortunately the PDF file you can download is 83 pages long and all in Dutch. I lucked out and think I found the relevant stats with a little help from Google Translate.

    In 2018, the RTE received 6126 reports of euthanasia.
    That is 4.0% of the total number of people in the Netherlands in 2018
    deceased (153,328). In 2017, the RTE received 6,585 reports, either
    4.4% of the total death rate (150,027). It is the first time since
    years that the number of reports has fallen compared to the year
    therefor.
    "Repubs must not allow [The President] to subvert the Constitution of the US for his own benefit & because he is unable to negotiate w/ Congress," Donald Trump

  6. #6
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    19,294
    Thanks
    569
    Thanked 13,278 Times in 9,273 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147855
    Quote Originally Posted by The Horn View Post
    This article is from National Review, a very conservative rag . Therefore, it should be taken with a grain if salt . I seriously doubt 25 % of deaths in the Netherlands are through euthanasia .
    This post is from The Horn, so is assuredly nothing but outright lies and logical fallacies.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  7. #7
    Over 4000 post club glassjester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,830
    Thanks
    604
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,079 Posts

    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    293912
    Quote Originally Posted by Kit the Coyote View Post
    A long way from 431 which is .003%
    431 was the number of people euthanized without requesting it. Not the total number euthanized.
    Your "catholic" is showing. - Sozo

  8. #8
    Over 750 post club
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Under the Hill and Over the Hedge
    Posts
    909
    Thanks
    333
    Thanked 461 Times in 331 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    151682
    Quote Originally Posted by glassjester View Post
    431 was the number of people euthanized without requesting it. Not the total number euthanized.
    Yes got that from the additional research and information I found, the figure for total is around 4% and has declined in the past year after a few years of increases.
    "Repubs must not allow [The President] to subvert the Constitution of the US for his own benefit & because he is unable to negotiate w/ Congress," Donald Trump

  9. #9
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    26,204
    Thanks
    4,611
    Thanked 10,182 Times in 7,567 Posts

    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147795
    Direct quote from the Guardian article:


    Also in 2017, some 1,900 Dutch people killed themselves, while the number of people who died under palliative sedation – in theory, succumbing to their illness while cocooned from physical discomfort, but in practice often dying of dehydration while unconscious – hit an astonishing 32,000. Altogether, well over a quarter of all deaths in 2017 in the Netherlands were induced.

    https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...assisted-dying

  10. #10
    Over 750 post club
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Under the Hill and Over the Hedge
    Posts
    909
    Thanks
    333
    Thanked 461 Times in 331 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    151682
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    Direct quote from the Guardian article:
    Interesting, palliative sedation is not assisted suicide, seemingly unhappy with the official government figures for euthanasia the Guardian has decided to move the goalposts to reach the figure they want.
    "Repubs must not allow [The President] to subvert the Constitution of the US for his own benefit & because he is unable to negotiate w/ Congress," Donald Trump

  11. #11
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    19,294
    Thanks
    569
    Thanked 13,278 Times in 9,273 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147855
    Quote Originally Posted by Kit the Coyote View Post
    Palliative sedation is not assisted suicide.
    Because you say so?

    If a person is not dying and they are starved to death, that is murder.

    seemingly unhappy with the official government figures for euthanasia the Guardian has decided to move the goalposts to reach the figure they want.
    Seemingly unhappy with the Guardian article, Kit has ignored most of it.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (May 13th, 2019)

  13. #12
    Over 750 post club
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Under the Hill and Over the Hedge
    Posts
    909
    Thanks
    333
    Thanked 461 Times in 331 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    151682
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Because you say so?

    If a person is not dying and they are starved to death, that is murder.



    Seemingly unhappy with the Guardian article, Kit has ignored most of it.
    I simply looked up what palliative sedation is. It is only applied to patients who are dying and all other means of pain and symptom control are exhausted. It is part of end of life hospice care. Now if it is being applied incorrectly and people are dying little earlier than they would have you can make a medical malpractice argument out of it but I think you need to decide what you are arguing against as palliative sedation is one of the ALTERNATIVES to euthanasia, one of the few that can address the pain and suffering issue.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palliative_sedation
    "Repubs must not allow [The President] to subvert the Constitution of the US for his own benefit & because he is unable to negotiate w/ Congress," Donald Trump

  14. #13
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    26,204
    Thanks
    4,611
    Thanked 10,182 Times in 7,567 Posts

    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147795
    Kit - did you bother reading either the natrev piece or the guardian piece?

  15. #14
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    26,204
    Thanks
    4,611
    Thanked 10,182 Times in 7,567 Posts

    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147795
    from the natrev piece:

    As I have written here before, many more people are killed in the Netherlands by “terminal sedation”–a slow motion euthanasia wherein patients not in the active stage of dying are put into artificial comas and denied all sustenance until they dehydrate to death–than die by lethal jabs. (Terminal sedation should never be confused with the proper practice of “palliative sedation,” which eases a dying patient’s symptoms while not intentionally causing death.)

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (May 13th, 2019)

  17. #15
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    26,204
    Thanks
    4,611
    Thanked 10,182 Times in 7,567 Posts

    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147795
    which was directly taken from the Guardian piece:

    Also in 2017, some 1,900 Dutch people killed themselves, while the number of people who died under palliative sedation – in theory, succumbing to their illness while cocooned from physical discomfort, but in practice often dying of dehydration while unconscious – hit an astonishing 32,000. Altogether, well over a quarter of all deaths in 2017 in the Netherlands were induced.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (May 13th, 2019)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us