User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Genesis - Abraham & Isaac Pt 6

  1. #1
    Super Moderator Jefferson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Seated with Him in the heavenlies
    Posts
    7,544
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 200 Times in 148 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    111483

    Genesis - Abraham & Isaac Pt 6

    ThThurs: Genesis - Abraham & Isaac Pt 6

    This is the show from Thursday, April 25th, 2019

    SUMMARY:

    Genesis - Abraham & Isaac: The theology of the New Testament builds upon concepts that God presented through the life of Abraham. This exciting album, Genesis: Abraham & Isaac, explores those truths. Only by understanding the life of Abraham can a believer understand the Bible, since God pivots the plot of the Bible upon events in Abraham’s life. And the life of Isaac reveals how each of us must choose and serve God. For over twenty-five years Bob Enyart has studied God's Word praying for the wisdom to share the truth of Scripture to a lost world. Now you can benefit from this very exciting Bible study.

    MP3-CD or MP3 download

    BEL SUBSCRIPTIONS: Please consider one of our monthly subscriptions that will not only help support BEL, but they also promote better understanding of the Bible and may equip you to more effectively reach those around you.

    NEW Monthly Downloads: Enjoy your monthly subscription is download form rather than on disc.

    Monthly Sermons: Enjoy all of Bob's sermons from the month on Sermon Video DVD, great also to watch with the family. Or, get these on Sermon Audio CDs which are standard audio Compact Discs that will play on any CD player including the one in your car. Or get them on a single Sermon MP3-CD which will play on an MP3 player, in a DVD player, or in your computer.

    Monthly Bible Studies: Enjoy the Scriptures with Bob's Monthly Bible Study DVDs, great too for a small group Bible study. Or get these teachings on a single Monthly Bible Study Audio MP3- CD which will play on an MP3 player, in a DVD player, or in your computer.

    Monthly Topical Videos: Coming to your mailbox, you'll get a Monthly Topical DVD to enjoy one of Bob's great videos specially selected to be entertaining and to teach about life from a biblical worldview.

    Monthly Best of Bob Shows: Every month our crew selects the eight best BEL shows of the month and for the folks who might have missed some of them, we mail them out on the Best of Bob MP3-CD.

    Monthly BEL TV Classics: Enjoy Bob Enyart's timeless, popular TV show delivered to your home on the Monthly BEL TV Classics DVDs with great audio and video clarity thanks to our state-of-the-art mastering from the studio-quality Sony beta tapes to DVD!

    Monthly Donation: For folks who just want to make sure that Bob Enyart Live stays on the air, please consider making a pledge in the form of a Monthly Donation.
    WARNING: Graphic video here.

  2. #2
    Over 2000 post club Idolater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    2,260
    Thanks
    256
    Thanked 471 Times in 394 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    44899
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    The theology of the New Testament builds upon concepts that God presented through the life of Abraham. . . . Only by understanding the life of Abraham can a believer understand the Bible, since God pivots the plot of the Bible upon events in Abrahamís life. And the life of Isaac reveals how each of us must choose and serve God.
    For what reason should someone believe what you say about the Bible, rather than just reading the Bible and thinking what I think it means, based on my own reading of the Bible? For what reason should someone who can read, listen to what anybody else has to say about the Bible? Why not just read the Bible and come to our own conclusions? I understand from my reading of the Bible, for example, that the Holy Spirit of truth is with me, and that He constantly guides me into all truth, and so why would I listen to what someone else says is true, when I have the Holy Spirit of truth already? For what reason should someone listen to what anybody else feels that the Bible means, when we can just read the Bible for ourselves, and just think that it means what I think that it means when I read the Bible?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    For over twenty-five years Bob Enyart has studied God's Word praying for the wisdom to share the truth of Scripture to a lost world.
    But why would this be a reason? If someone read the Bible many times, why would it mean something different if read many times through, instead of less? What about the Bible makes it so that you can't really understand it unless you study it for over 25 years? If for example a novel or a newspaper took me over 25 years to really understand, I'd think that's a terribly written thing, but the Bible is not terribly written at all, so it just can't be so that you need to study it for over 25 years just so that you can understand what it says. And anybody can pray. I pray all the time. I don't see how this is a reason to believe what someone else thinks about the Bible, instead of what I think it means, since I know how to read, and I read the Bible too.
    "Those who believe in Christ" are all the Christians, Catholic or not.

    @Nee_Nihilo

  3. #3
    Super Moderator JudgeRightly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    On the road
    Posts
    10,449
    Thanks
    35,364
    Thanked 8,881 Times in 5,712 Posts

    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147644
    Quote Originally Posted by Idolater View Post
    For what reason should someone believe what you say about the Bible, rather than just reading the Bible and thinking what I think it means, based on my own reading of the Bible? For what reason should someone who can read, listen to what anybody else has to say about the Bible? Why not just read the Bible and come to our own conclusions? I understand from my reading of the Bible, for example, that the Holy Spirit of truth is with me, and that He constantly guides me into all truth, and so why would I listen to what someone else says is true, when I have the Holy Spirit of truth already? For what reason should someone listen to what anybody else feels that the Bible means, when we can just read the Bible for ourselves, and just think that it means what I think that it means when I read the Bible?
    But why would this be a reason? If someone read the Bible many times, why would it mean something different if read many times through, instead of less? What about the Bible makes it so that you can't really understand it unless you study it for over 25 years? If for example a novel or a newspaper took me over 25 years to really understand, I'd think that's a terribly written thing, but the Bible is not terribly written at all, so it just can't be so that you need to study it for over 25 years just so that you can understand what it says. And anybody can pray. I pray all the time. I don't see how this is a reason to believe what someone else thinks about the Bible, instead of what I think it means, since I know how to read, and I read the Bible too.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    ThThurs: Genesis - Abraham & Isaac Pt 6

    This is the show from Thursday, April 25th, 2019

    SUMMARY:

  4. #4
    Over 2000 post club Idolater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    2,260
    Thanks
    256
    Thanked 471 Times in 394 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    44899
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post




    Well that's true.

    Pastors are in a tough spot because they really can't change their theology. Or, it'd take a herculean effort. Not something we could expect an average person to accomplish.
    "Those who believe in Christ" are all the Christians, Catholic or not.

    @Nee_Nihilo

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Jefferson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Seated with Him in the heavenlies
    Posts
    7,544
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 200 Times in 148 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    111483
    Quote Originally Posted by Idolater View Post
    For what reason should someone believe what you say about the Bible, rather than just reading the Bible and thinking what I think it means, based on my own reading of the Bible? For what reason should someone who can read, listen to what anybody else has to say about the Bible?
    Why do you think "God gave some to be pastors and teachers" (Ephesians 4:11-12)? So that you can practice ignoring them?
    WARNING: Graphic video here.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jefferson For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (May 1st, 2019)

  7. #6
    Super Moderator JudgeRightly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    On the road
    Posts
    10,449
    Thanks
    35,364
    Thanked 8,881 Times in 5,712 Posts

    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147644
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Why do you think "God gave some to be pastors and teachers" (Ephesians 4:11-12)? So that you can practice ignoring them?
    Hammer, meet nail.

  8. #7
    Over 2000 post club Idolater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    2,260
    Thanks
    256
    Thanked 471 Times in 394 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    44899
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Why do you think "God gave some to be pastors and teachers" (Ephesians 4:11-12)? So that you can practice ignoring them?
    Ah, very good. Thank you.
    "Those who believe in Christ" are all the Christians, Catholic or not.

    @Nee_Nihilo

  9. #8
    Over 2000 post club Idolater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    2,260
    Thanks
    256
    Thanked 471 Times in 394 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    44899
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    Hammer, meet nail.
    "Those who believe in Christ" are all the Christians, Catholic or not.

    @Nee_Nihilo

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Idolater For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (May 1st, 2019)

  11. #9
    Over 2000 post club Idolater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    2,260
    Thanks
    256
    Thanked 471 Times in 394 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    44899
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Why do you think "God gave some to be pastors and teachers" (Ephesians 4:11-12)? So that you can practice ignoring them?
    No. But the question remains between us, who are those "pastors?" How can we identify them? Can just anybody be one of those "pastors?" What qualifies a person to be one of those "pastors?" Is there any qualification required? If there is, what is it? and much more importantly in some ways, How do we know it's the right qualification?

    Here is one idea. Ephesians 4:11 KJV Apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers.

    Can we agree there are no Apostles and no prophets today? We don't have to agree on why, but do we agree on 'that?'

    If there are no more Apostles and prophets, then we come to evangelists, and we all agree there are evangelists today, many of us have either met them, or perhaps they were one, if they're not anymore. Evangelists. They come before pastors. So if the question is what makes one one of these "pastors" Paul mentions? Then the answer is, Whoever are the evangelists' pastors. I think that's reasonable.

    So, who are the "evangelists?" I suggest, the "evangelists," are the ones with the most planted churches. I think that's reasonable. So based on that analysis of who are the "evangelists," then we can make a determination of who are the "pastors" and "teachers" mentioned in Ephesians 4:11 KJV---thank you again for the verse; great verse.
    "Those who believe in Christ" are all the Christians, Catholic or not.

    @Nee_Nihilo

  12. #10
    Super Moderator Jefferson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Seated with Him in the heavenlies
    Posts
    7,544
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 200 Times in 148 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    111483
    Quote Originally Posted by Idolater View Post
    No. But the question remains between us, who are those "pastors?" How can we identify them? Can just anybody be one of those "pastors?" What qualifies a person to be one of those "pastors?" Is there any qualification required? If there is, what is it? and much more importantly in some ways, How do we know it's the right qualification?
    I think anyone can be a pastor even if he does not have that God-given gift. The tasks of the job just won't come as easily to him. Likewise, you don't have to have the gift of evangelism to evangelize or plant churches. It would just come more naturally to you if you did.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us