Thread: Eating Forbidden Fruit

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eating Forbidden Fruit

Is Jehovah a self-inconsistent creator for both making Adam and Eve free and forbidding them to eat the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil ?

Thanks
    Thanked 21,680 Times in 12,250 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    That explains why your an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
    You preach against me for preaching obedience to Christ for salvation.
    Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
    (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Right Divider For Your Post:

ok doser (April 8th, 2019)

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Divider View Post
    No.
    Just "No" without an explanation is an incomplete answer. Explain.

Thanks
    Thanked 21,680 Times in 12,250 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by hishignicityesq View Post
    Just "No" without an explanation is an incomplete answer. Explain.
    God is never self-inconsistent in any way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    That explains why your an idiot.
    Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
    You preach against me for preaching obedience to Christ for salvation.
    Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
    (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Divider View Post
    God is never self-inconsistent in any way.
    I am genuinely seeking feedback to my question, from Christians steeped in scripture. Do you possibly have, for the sake of my inquiry into the most common and fundamental of all questions set forth by men, regarding man's free will and Jehovah's injunction against eating of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, any scriptural wisdom which will support your explanation of the plain "No" response ?

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,747 Times in 7,258 Posts

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I am genuinely seeking feedback to my question, from Christians steeped in scripture. Do you possibly have, for the sake of my inquiry into the most common and fundamental of all questions set forth by men, regarding man's free will and Jehovah's injunction against eating of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, any scriptural wisdom which will support your explanation of the plain "No" response ?
    let me turn it back on you

why do you think this illustrates inconsistency?

what would a "consistent" God do differently, in your opinion?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (April 9th, 2019),Right Divider (April 8th, 2019)

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is Jehovah a self-inconsistent creator for both making Adam and Eve free and forbidding them to eat the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil ?
    You have a good question, so long as you are not rebelling against God, because we need to know what it means to be free, and because God said to them that something should not be done. Do you mean free to do whatever you want to do? Or are you asking about Christian free will? It certainly makes sense that we should obey God.

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    let me turn it back on you

why do you think this illustrates inconsistency?

what would a "consistent" God do differently, in your opinion?
    At this point my thinking has only thought an interrogative formulation, i.e.,a question; which I ask by the OP. I am asking my question in order to see what I might properly think, after receiving Christian input.

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,747 Times in 7,258 Posts

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    it occurs to me that God expected Adam and Eve to know that disobeying Him was wrong

not sure why, gotta chew on that

but He did, it seems to me, otherwise why hold them responsible for their actions contrary to His directions?

and so i'm left with a scenario where Adam and Eve act contrary to God's will, whether it is in disobedience to His direction, or whether it is in disobedience to their knowledge of good and evil

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    You have a good question, so long as you are not rebelling against God, because we need to know what it means to be free, and because God said to them that something should not be done. Do you mean free to do whatever you want to do? Or are you asking about Christian free will? It certainly makes sense that we should obey God.
    I have never heard of Christian free will. I would like to know what is meant by Christian free will.

Yes, by free I mean free to do what I choose to do, purely only by my own choice. Eve, by picking and biting the apple, did what she wanted to do, in an whatever fashion, and, she got herself banned from the garden of Eden.

I am wondering why Jehovah made Adam and Eve free, and, then, forbad them the particular free act of gaining knowledge of good and evil. Was the preservation of innocence the reason Adam and Eve were forbidden to eat of the tree's fruit ? Did Jehovah plan to keep humans innocent and therefore non-harmful ? That would have been nice; but it did not remain the case; all because of gaining knowledge; knowledge like their realization of their nakedness; wow, nakedness became something to be ashamed of, whereas before they innocently did not experience shame because of their undress. It is such a beautiful tragedy. If Jehovah is never inconsistent, why does he make himself to appear inconsistent by making freedom and forbidding the free act of eating the forbidden fruit ?

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have never heard of Christian free will. I would like to know what is meant by Christian free will.
    I could just say free will, but I am a Christian and this is a Christian website, and I have said before that I am Jewish. Do you have any concept of free will or freewill?
    Yes, by free I mean free to do what I choose to do, purely only by my own choice. Eve, by picking and biting the apple, did what she wanted to do, in an whatever fashion, and, she got herself banned from the garden of Eden.
    If it was an apple, yes.
    I am wondering why Jehovah made Adam and Eve free, and, then, forbad them the particular free act of gaining knowledge of good and evil. Was the preservation of innocence the reason Adam and Eve were forbidden to eat of the tree's fruit ? Did Jehovah plan to keep humans innocent and therefore non-harmful ? That would have been nice; but it did not remain the case; all because of gaining knowledge; knowledge like their realization of their nakedness; wow, nakedness became something to be ashamed of, whereas before they innocently did not experience shame because of their undress. It is such a beautiful tragedy. If Jehovah is never inconsistent, why does he make himself to appear inconsistent by making freedom and forbidding the free act of eating the forbidden fruit ?
    I don't see the word forbidden, but I understand the point that God would not and did not allow them to pick the fruit and eat it. He commanded against their eating of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Are you familiar with the passage? Do you remember what God said, what Adam and Eve said, and what the serpent said?

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No,I don't remember exactly. Did Jehovah say "Thou shalt not eat of..." ?

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No,I don't remember exactly. Did Jehovah say "Thou shalt not eat of..." ?
    I can find it for you, what Yahveh said.

Genesis 2:16-17 NASB - The LORD God commanded the man, saying, "From any tree of the garden you may eat freely; but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die."

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    I can find it for you, what Yahveh said.

Genesis 2:16-17 NASB - The LORD God commanded the man, saying, "From any tree of the garden you may eat freely; but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die."
    What ilk of death was the Lord referring to ? Death to innocence ?

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post

and so i'm left with a scenario where Adam and Eve act contrary to God's will, whether it is in disobedience to His direction, or whether it is in disobedience to their knowledge of good and evil
    I have a friend who thinks it possible that God knew beforehand that man would fail to abide by His "...you shall not..." imperative, and that human failure to heed His prohibition is the means whereby He led man to freedom, an interesting view which I cannot help but qualify by wondering whether of not to deem such a mode of leading man to freedom to be a self-inconsistency lived by God. Eve knew she was free to disobey, so she had freedom, thus it must have been the idea, the knowing she knew what her freedom was, that she realized and gained just by thinking about eating the forbidden fruit; thus it is by prohibition that we realize our freedom. Wow, I just sorted that out by engaging with you guys about it !

Thread Information