User Tag List

Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 731

Thread: My Religion

  1. #76
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tardation
    Posts
    1,261
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked 198 Times in 163 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
    From what I tell, you lost the big picture about what Christianity is. Let me explain a bit to you.

    The first question is, do you know what could possibly lie ahead of your after your death?
    Yes. There are two possibilities as I see it.

    1. There is life after death.

    2. There is no life after death.

    Both possibilities have been claimed by those I am aware of who have experienced it. In the first case, people who have had death or near death experiences claim that the afterlife is so amazing wonderful that they didnít wish to return to this miserable existence.

    In the second case, the people I have spoken with who experienced a similar event said there was nothing and they have no recollection of consciousness after death.

  2. #77
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington
    Posts
    18,785
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked 947 Times in 871 Posts

    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    There is life after death. In the resurrection of the righteous and of the wicked. Of the just and the unjust.

  3. #78
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tardation
    Posts
    1,261
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked 198 Times in 163 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    There is life after death. In the resurrection of the righteous and of the wicked. Of the just and the unjust.
    Jacob, what you have just expressed is a belief. There is a big difference between a fact and a belief. I mean, anyone can believe anything they make up their mind to. A belief doesnít have to be real, but a fact does. A belief is something hoped for, wished, or thought to be. That is not to say that there is not factual basis for believing something to be true....sometimes there is, but it doesnít change the fact of the matter.

    A fact is something that is known to be. It has been observed, experienced, well understood and documented by science. Facts are things that are real. For example, it is a fact that there is death after life.

    This is not in dispute. We know that every living thing dies. We know this not only because we observe and experience it, but it is documented in the Earth. In layers of sediment are all the living things that have died and exist no more physically- except as elements.

  4. #79
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tardation
    Posts
    1,261
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked 198 Times in 163 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    0
    A belief may be true, or not be....but a fact is true. That is why I place such emphasis on believing the truth. The fact that something is in the Bible doesn’t actually make it true.

    So, that why it is important to not only understand the differences between facts and beliefs, but to understand that what a person believes could be based upon “facts” that are not actually facts.

    For example, I used to believe that the Bible was the inerrant Word of God. I believed it for a long time, until I found facts that contradict that belief within the Bible itself.

    It can be shown that there are obvious mistakes in the Bible as well as obvious edits made by unknown editors. That makes the unreliable source of facts. So, if you want to believe that something from the Bible is factually true, you have to find evidence to support it.

    If there is no evidence to support it, then it may not be actually true. I hope that helps those who would actually seek the truth instead of just offering lip service to it.

  5. #80
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington
    Posts
    18,785
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked 947 Times in 871 Posts

    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyver View Post
    Jacob, what you have just expressed is a belief. There is a big difference between a fact and a belief. I mean, anyone can believe anything they make up their mind to. A belief doesn’t have to be real, but a fact does. A belief is something hoped for, wished, or thought to be. That is not to say that there is not factual basis for believing something to be true....sometimes there is, but it doesn’t change the fact of the matter.

    A fact is something that is known to be. It has been observed, experienced, well understood and documented by science. Facts are things that are real. For example, it is a fact that there is death after life.

    This is not in dispute. We know that every living thing dies. We know this not only because we observe and experience it, but it is documented in the Earth. In layers of sediment are all the living things that have died and exist no more physically- except as elements.
    Are you saying that you believe what I said to be a belief?

    Acts 24:15 NASB - having a hope in God, which these men cherish themselves, that there shall certainly be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked.

    Acts 24:15 NKJV - "I have hope in God, which they themselves also accept, that there will be a resurrection of [the] dead, both of [the] just and [the] unjust.

  6. #81
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tardation
    Posts
    1,261
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked 198 Times in 163 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Are you saying that you believe what I said to be a belief?.
    No question about it.

  7. #82
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington
    Posts
    18,785
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked 947 Times in 871 Posts

    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyver View Post
    No question about it.
    I do have a belief. It is based on scripture.

  8. #83
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tardation
    Posts
    1,261
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked 198 Times in 163 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    I do have a belief. It is based on scripture.
    Of course. Scripture is sacred writings and it is right to consider them. But, you do know that there are other sacred writings right?

    But when you say scripture you say bible. Which is fine. It’s just that the Bible isn’t really true. For example, according to the bible, there are satyrs dancing in the ruins of Babylon. We know this is not true because we have actually uncovered the ruins of Babylon, and there are no satyrs there and never were.

    Now, satyrs aren’t really real. They are ideas of Greek Mythonlogy. They don’t exist, are pagan, and are in the Bible.

  9. #84
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington
    Posts
    18,785
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked 947 Times in 871 Posts

    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyver View Post
    Of course. Scripture is sacred writings and it is right to consider them. But, you do know that there are other sacred writings right?

    But when you say scripture you say bible. Which is fine. Itís just that the Bible isnít really true. For example, according to the bible, there are satyrs dancing in the ruins of Babylon. We know this is not true because we have actually uncovered the ruins of Babylon, and there are no satyrs there and never were.

    Now, satyrs arenít really real. They are ideas of Greek Mythonlogy. They donít exist, are pagan, and are in the Bible.
    I am curious.

    Where in the Bible?

    Of course I believe that the Bible is true.

  10. #85
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tardation
    Posts
    1,261
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked 198 Times in 163 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    I am curious.

    Where in the Bible?

    Of course I believe that the Bible is true.
    Dude. Find it for yourself. It’s so easy. You just go to biblegateway.com which has most versions, select “King James Version” then type in the word satyr in the search engine.

  11. #86
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington
    Posts
    18,785
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked 947 Times in 871 Posts

    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyver View Post
    Dude. Find it for yourself. It’s so easy. You just go to biblegateway.com which has most versions, select “King James Version” then type in the word satyr in the search engine.
    Interesting. Thanks! Other translations say wild goats. I do not know what a satyr is.

  12. #87
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tardation
    Posts
    1,261
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked 198 Times in 163 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Interesting. Thanks! Other translations say wild goats. I do not know what a satyr is.
    It will be my pleasure to speak truth with you Jacob, in hopes that it will spare you the pain it caused me.

    I will be glad to tell you about satyrs. This is the King James Bible.

    "But wild beasts of the desert shall lie there; and their houses shall be full of doleful creatures; and owls shall dwell there, and satyrs shall dance there." Is. 13.21

    The satyr is a product of Greek Mythology, which has figured prominently in our collective mindset (which should come as no surprise, since they are the only nation to actually rule the world - for the most part) as a result of the beliefs of ancient Greeks.

    Anyway, the satyr is a half man, half goat creature.

    link

  13. #88
    Over 6000 post club Aimiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    6,516
    Thanks
    367
    Thanked 422 Times in 310 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    117557
    The Hebrew word for goat is "שׂעיר (saiyr)." It refers to the animal, but also to goat demons (Leviticus 17:7). The term “satyr” is Greek, but it strongly resembles the Hebrew "saiyr." The Greek "satyr" may actually be based on the Hebrew "saiyr." The roguish and debaucherous half-goat creature of Greek mythology strongly resembles the “goat demon” mentioned in Scripture. The ESV and NASB also translate "saiyr" as "goat demons" in Leviticus 17:7. The NASB even has “satyrs” in 2 Chronicles 11:15 where the KJV has “devils.” In Isaiah 13:21, the satyrs “dance” – a trademark activity of satyrs in mythology. Rather than assuming that the KJV's satyr is based on Greek mythology, it may be more reasonable to think that the Greek mythology is based on the Hebrew goat demon referred to as "saiyr."

    SOURCE ARTICLE
    "That man of sin must first be revealed." -- Jesus

    If you haven't tried: you've already failed. -- Aimiel

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Aimiel For Your Post:

    Guyver (April 8th, 2019)

  15. #89
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tardation
    Posts
    1,261
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked 198 Times in 163 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    0
    This is not the only place where errors are found within the bible of course. There are so many errors in the Bible that they are actually classified by type.

    Anyway, the word “Lucifer” should not actually be found in the Bible, but it is. It is found in the King James Bible in the Book of Isaiah. Yet, “Lucifer” is a Latin word which in no way resembles the original Hebrew.

    Lucifer is a Latin word which is from a language that didn’t even exist when the Hebrew Bible was written, but there it is, right in English for us to think about. But it isn’t real, the Hebrew word is not Lucifer. The oldest known bible is the Dead Sea Scrolls version. It is in Hebrew and Lucifer is not there.

    The Isaiah scrolls from the Dead Sea caves are available online for you to research for yourself to see if what I say is truth.

  16. #90
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington
    Posts
    18,785
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked 947 Times in 871 Posts

    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyver View Post
    It will be my pleasure to speak truth with you Jacob, in hopes that it will spare you the pain it caused me.

    I will be glad to tell you about satyrs. This is the King James Bible.

    "But wild beasts of the desert shall lie there; and their houses shall be full of doleful creatures; and owls shall dwell there, and satyrs shall dance there." Is. 13.21

    The satyr is a product of Greek Mythology, which has figured prominently in our collective mindset (which should come as no surprise, since they are the only nation to actually rule the world - for the most part) as a result of the beliefs of ancient Greeks.

    Anyway, the satyr is a half man, half goat creature.

    link
    I doubt that this is what the Bible means.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us