Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 32394041424344 LastLast

Thread: My Religion

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    Do you know the context in which Ecclesiastes was written?

The context of life on planet Earth? However, since I asked ALL Christians who were willing to respond for their input and no one could be bothered...what difference does it make?
    Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,562 Times in 5,493 Posts

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guyver View Post
    The context of life on planet Earth?
    No, I mean the context in which the book was written.

However, since I asked ALL Christians who were willing to respond for their input and no one could be bothered...what difference does it make?
    It's not a book for beginners, that much I can tell you. If you aren't mature enough, then I recommend just dropping your question, because it can be confusing, especially to those who are not Christian or Jewish, and even to those.

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No thank you. I have my thoughts about it. The fact that none of you could address it is not going to change that.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since he thanked you for that insulting comment, you could be right. However, seeing as how I actually discuss things and express WHY I believe them.....calling me a troll is just another vanity.
    I don't consider you a troll. But a lost soul that thirst for the truth about God and is seeking and finding comfort in the wrong places.

As per instructions from the Bible I must for myself ďtake every thought captive to the obedience of ChristĒ (2 Corinthians 10:5).

And according to the Bible I must allow the Holy Spirit to keep my thoughts where He wants them to be. And because of that I must disengage from this conversation.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your beliefs.
    Abraham did not do such things.... (John 8:40)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to k0de For Your Post:

Guyver (August 11th, 2019)

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by k0de View Post
    I don't consider you a troll. But a lost soul that thirst for the truth about God and is seeking and finding comfort in the wrong places.
    I was a found lost soul who realized the truth.

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by k0de View Post

As per instructions from the Bible I must for myself ďtake every thought captive to the obedience of ChristĒ (2 Corinthians 10:5).

And according to the Bible I must allow the Holy Spirit to keep my thoughts where He wants them to be. And because of that I must disengage from this conversation.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your beliefs.
    It is right to practice what you believe. May you go in peace with God as your guide.

PS. What you have described is also referred to by some as ďfollowing your heart.Ē

FWIW

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Guyver For Your Post:

k0de (August 11th, 2019)

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, Rejective Knowism is based upon the logical position that everything which is not true is false, and false isnít worth having.
    Everything which is not true is false? Really? No. Not really. Sorry. You're wrong. It's false that everything which is not true is false. Why, there're plenty of things which are neither true, nor false.

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 7djengo7 View Post
    Everything which is not true is false? Really? No. Not really. Sorry. You're wrong. It's false that everything which is not true is false. Why, there're plenty of things which are neither true, nor false.
    Well, you’re kind of nitpicking me there - but you are correct. In order to be more specific and precise, I should have said that which is not demonstrably true is potentially false. Thank you for helping me be more accurate.

Will you give some examples of something that is neither true nor false?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Guyver For Your Post:

k0de (August 14th, 2019)

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, youíre kind of nitpicking me there
    You affirmed the false proposition, 'Everything which is not true is false'. I contradict that false proposition by affirming the true proposition, 'Some things which are not true are not false', and you call my contradicting "nitpicking". By calling it "nitpicking", do you mean to tell me that to affirm the true proposition, 'Some things which are not true are not false', is to affirm something of little or no importance, or value? If that's what you think, then, so much the worse for your affirmation of the false proposition, 'Everything which is not true is false'. How do you imagine you are absolved from an even greater charge of "nitpicking" in your affirmation of that falsehood? For, remember what you said:

So, Rejective Knowism is based upon the logical position that everything which is not true is false, and false isnít worth having.
    If, by "false isn't worth having", you mean, "false isn't worth believing", you are correct. If, instead, you mean "false isn't worth knowing about", you are incorrect.

but you are correct.
    But you are correct, here, to say "but you are correct".

In order to be more specific and precise, I should have said that which is not demonstrably true is potentially false. Thank you for helping me be more accurate.

Will you give some examples of something that is neither true nor false?
    Some examples of things that are neither true nor false? Sure. No problem:

• "that which is not demonstrably true is potentially false"
    • "Spider Man beat up Batman"
    • "Batman beat up Spider Man"
    • "Peter Pan flew in from Neverneverland"
    • "all mimsy were the borogoves"

Those are some verbal things that are neither true nor false. However, there are also other things--non-verbal things--that are neither true nor false. For instance, a dog, a cat, a tree, a grocery store, a rock, a car, a potato salad, and many other things. Not one of 'em's true, and neither is it false.

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are some verbal things that are neither true nor false. However, there are also other things--non-verbal things--that are neither true nor false. For instance, a dog, a cat, a tree, a grocery store, a rock, a car, a potato salad, and many other things. Not one of 'em's true, and neither is it false.
    All those thing are true and not false based on our understanding of truth. A dog a cat a tree and so forth exist, can be observed and experienced. Therefore they are true and not false.

We may rightly question our understanding of truth as there certainly could be a greater truth than we conceive.

In any event, everything else you said seemed ok from my quick read of it. Since I donít really trust you I didnít give it much time. I feel that talking to you is like playing with fire. FWIW.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Guyver For Your Post:

7djengo7 (August 14th, 2019)

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    However, there are also other things--non-verbal things--that are neither true nor false. For instance, a dog, a cat, a tree, a grocery store, a rock, a car, a potato salad, and many other things. Not one of 'em's true, and neither is it false.
    All those thing are true and not false based on our understanding of truth. A dog a cat a tree and so forth exist, can be observed and experienced. Therefore they are true and not false.
    False. Not one of them is true. No dog is true. No cat is true. A dog exists. A cat exists. But neither of those things (a cat, a dog) is true (nor are they false). To exist is not to be true. Were it the case that to exist is to be true, then every false proposition would be true, and it'd be just plain asinine to imagine that false propositions could be true.

Now, the proposition, 'Rover is a dog', will be either true or false, but Rover, itself (or himself, as the case may be) is neither true, nor false.

In any event, everything else you said seemed ok from my quick read of it.
    Am I to take, from this, that you at least agree with me that some verbal things are neither true, nor false?

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

False. Not one of them is true. No dog is true. No cat is true. A dog exists. A cat exists. But neither of those things (a cat, a dog) is true (nor are they false). To exist is not to be true. Were it the case that to exist is to be true, then every false proposition would be true, and it'd be just plain asinine to imagine that false propositions could be true.

Now, the proposition, 'Rover is a dog', will be either true or false, but Rover, itself (or himself, as the case may be) is neither true, nor false.
    It seems like youíre allowing logical argument to make yourself completely irrational to me. Things which exist, like a dog, cat or stone are true by nature simply because they exist. The truth of their existence is not in question, they are factual. A fact is something that is inherently true by nature. So, I just donít get where you are coming from and I donít have anything else to say about that. We exist. That is a fact, therefore a truth. The nature of our existence could certainly be called into question, that we exist is not in question, therefore it it true.

Am I to take, from this, that you at least agree with me that some verbal things are neither true, nor false?
    Some things, like Batman and Spider-Man sure...but you included my statement things which are not demonstrably true are potentially false...and there is no criticism of that statement as I understand things. So, I guess you and I are just radically different when it comes to logical thinking and argument.

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just thinking about dying and I was going to say that Iím ok with dying as a result of my religion. But then, I checked myself and realized Iím not ok with dying because dying is brutal. I should say Iím ok with death, but thatís not true either. Iím not ok with death, Iím ok with being dead.

Dying sucks because itís so terrifying. I had an experience with it in a way and I freaked out. I got caught in a severe lightning storm while on my motorcycle that seemed like certain death to me at the time. And I was scared. So, dying is no good.

Now death. Well, being dead is fine...the problem I have with death is that it exists in the first place. Itís the whole idea of why would God make a world of death? I realize now I am repeating myself, and that is not cool, but Iím still struggling with this issue.

My recent thoughts are that there are many solutions to the problem. One must be open to truly consider things.

It is possible that we are being punished for crimes in a previous existence. Iím not convinced of that explanation.

It could be that the price of our life is death. The brightest lights burn out the fastest. So, the joys and pleasurable experiences with this life are so extreme that their opposites are equally powerful.

So, we get to experience physical existence and the price of it is the hardest physical thing. Yet, it can be done. A monk set himself on fire in protest of the Vietnam Nam War and died without even screaming. That is the power of belief, and the mind.

So, at this point I say I donít have the answers but my faith allows me to trust in God, that the answers may come....but if they donít I must learn to be OK with it. FWIW. Thatís where I am in my faith at the moment.

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,016 Times in 7,467 Posts

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    When you put your faith in God, there's no reason to fear death

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (August 16th, 2019)

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    When you put your faith in God, there's no reason to fear death
    True.

But like I said, dying is brutal in most ways, and the idea of death is tough to grasp. I think one possible answer could be that we actually chose to be here but we donít remember it. We willingly chose to come here, as people choose to go on vacation.

The other option I consider most likely is that God chose to allow this existence along with every other possible existence because thatís what it took to run physical existence.

The other possible explanation that I donít favor is that we donít really exist, we are a part of a very sophisticated computer, most likely from the future, and we only seem to exist in our own programming as part of the simulation.

Thread Information