Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 24313233343536 LastLast

Thread: My Religion

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 7djengo7 View Post
    Are you talking to yourself? If not, to whom did you mean to address your post?
    You knew who I was talking to.
    Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same.

TOL Subscriber
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The penalty for sin is death...something religion can't accomplish.

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyver View Post
    You knew who I was talking to.
    Oh, so you were just being cowardly by not replying to me directly. I read ya.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 7djengo7 For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (July 11th, 2019)

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, so you were just being cowardly by not replying to me directly. I read ya.
    Is silly a good word for your post? I didn’t quote you because your silly post didn’t warrant me going upstairs to get on my computer and responding by quoting you directly.

You attempted to argue that a contradiction as plain and obvious as contradictions come was not actually contradictory. So yeah, what more need be said?

A thinking person wouldn’t be able to accept the post you made, unless their thinking was overshadowed by cognitive bias driven by religious indoctrination and fear.

Is that better?

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cntrysner View Post
    The penalty for sin is death...something religion can't accomplish.

Everyone dies whether they sin or not. Can you think of people who have never sinned but die anyway?

TOL Subscriber
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone dies whether they sin or not. Can you think of people who have never sinned but die anyway?
    This death is not just of your flesh, it is the death your soul. When the light goes out you're still there.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cntrysner For Your Post:

Guyver (July 11th, 2019),k0de (July 15th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,425 Times in 5,389 Posts

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is silly a good word for your post? I didn’t quote you because your silly post didn’t warrant me going upstairs to get on my computer and responding by quoting you directly.

You attempted to argue that a contradiction as plain and obvious as contradictions come was not actually contradictory. So yeah, what more need be said?

A thinking person wouldn’t be able to accept the post you made, unless their thinking was overshadowed by cognitive bias driven by religious indoctrination and fear.

Is that better?
    A thinking person, let alone one who is "overshadowed by cognitive bias driven by religious indoctrination and fear," (by the way, Proverbs 9:10) would be able to conceive of a way that the phrases 'Satan caused David to number Israel' and 'God caused David to number Israel' could not contradict.

For example, one way that they would not contradict is thus:

God commanded Satan to cause David to number Israel.

One writer give the perspective of God being the root cause of David numbering Israel.

Another writer gives the perspective of Satan (although being secondary) being the cause of David numbering Israel.

Therefore:

The two phrases, 'Satan caused David to number Israel' and 'God caused David to number Israel' are not inherently contradictory, which means that your assertion above...

a contradiction as plain and obvious as contradictions come

... is merely question begging.

So, Guyver, could you respond, please, to this portion of djengo's post?

In that case, now, you are left with needing to try to explain why it is you imagine that the propositions, 'Satan caused David to number Israel' and 'God caused David to number Israel', are contrary one to the other. That is, since those two propositions are clearly not the contradictories of one another, you're now left with trying to explain why you think they must, instead, be contraries of one another.

. . .

Your error is as base and as dismally shortsightedly committed as it would be for you to say that the propositions, 'The Pacific Ocean borders North America' and 'The Atlantic Ocean borders North America', are contradictory to one another.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JudgeRightly For Your Post:

7djengo7 (July 11th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,425 Times in 5,389 Posts

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and this is an appeal to ridicule...

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that better?
    Nah. The explanation that you were cowardly is better, inasmuch as it's the true explanation.

If you're satisfied with your failure to deal with the question I posed for you, though, why then, far be it from me to waste much of my time trying to coax you away from your happy place.

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    A thinking person, let alone one who is "overshadowed by cognitive bias driven by religious indoctrination and fear," (by the way, Proverbs 9:10) would be able to conceive of a way that the phrases 'Satan caused David to number Israel' and 'God caused David to number Israel' could not contradict.

For example, one way that they would not contradict is thus:

God commanded Satan to cause David to number Israel.

One writer give the perspective of God being the root cause of David numbering Israel.

Another writer gives the perspective of Satan (although being secondary) being the cause of David numbering Israel.

Therefore:

The two phrases, 'Satan caused David to number Israel' and 'God caused David to number Israel' are not inherently contradictory, which means that your assertion above...

a contradiction as plain and obvious as contradictions come

... is merely question begging.

Thanks, JR! You jumped in and did some of the work I was, admittedly, too lazy to do.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 7djengo7 For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (July 11th, 2019)

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and this is an appeal to ridicule...
    And? Why would you be criticizing that? You literally insult people for kicks.

PS. Why are you even posting in this thread?

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah. The explanation that you were cowardly is better, inasmuch as it's the true explanation.

If you're satisfied with your failure to deal with the question I posed for you, though, why then, far be it from me to waste much of my time trying to coax you away from your happy place.
    You definitely should not waste any of your time here.

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A thing is contradictory when different things are being said of the same thing.

By definition - Contradiction - noun.

a combination of statements, ideas, or features of a situation that are opposed to one another.
    "the proposed new system suffers from a set of internal contradictions"
    a person, thing, or situation in which inconsistent elements are present.
    "the paradox of using force to overcome force is a real contradiction"
    the statement of a position opposite to one already made.

God causing David to sin, and Satan causing David to sin is the obvious contradiction that I posted. Specifically, two things said about the same thing that are in conflict.

The fact that you or any other person would like to attempt to "explain" the contradiction is beside the point. The point is that a contradiction was made, and posted as a contradiction - which it is.

PS. I would add that the explanation you and 7djengo7 accept as the solution to the contradiction should be theologically very troubling for you.....if you believe the bible.

James chapter 1 verse 13 states, "Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone."

Now, you'd like readers to believe that though God himself would never tempt anyone to sin, he would be OK with making the devil do it.

You can't see how that would violate right principles that God himself above all other beings would uphold?

Paying someone to kill someone is called being an accomplice or accessory to murder and as such, people have been tried and been convicted for felony murder. So, not only the murderer was guilty of the killing, but the person who paid the other to commit the crime was also guilty of committing the crime of murder, and you'd like people to believe that God would do something similar to that and use the devil as his tool of evil to accomplish his will?

I find that to be both disturbing and completely misguided.

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A thing is contradictory when different things are being said of the same thing.
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha...........ha!

Here's a thing: a scoop of ice cream.
    Here are three--no, make it four--different things being said of this thing, this scoop of ice cream:
    1. It's cold,
    2. It's vanilla,
    3. It's a dairy product,
    4. It's drizzled with caramel syrup,

According to the asinine thing you just said, that thing--that scoop of ice cream--"is contradictory".

Bravo!

You have zero clue as to what constitutes contradictoriness.

contradictory (adjective):

(of two propositions) so related that one and only one must be true.

You say "a thing is contradictory..." You obviously need to be informed that it takes two things to have contradictoriness.

Two propositions; two propositions, each of which is the contradictory of the other.

contradictory (noun)

A contradictory proposition.

Two such propositions form pair of contradictories. Only an absolute dunce who's proud of having never bothered to learn even the most rudimentary principles of logic could claim, as you claim, that the pair of propositions--'God caused David to number Israel' and 'Satan caused David to number Israel'--is a pair of contradictories. (In fact, in my previous post, I specified for you, respectively, what proposition is the contradictory of each one of those two propositions, yet, nothing from you but deafening silence regarding that little, inconvenient detail!) If you had had even a shred of understanding of logic, you would not have made the embarrassingly elementary error that you have so proudly made. Rather, you would have (instead of saying that those two propositions are mutually contradictory) claimed that those two propositions are contrary to one another, and then you'd have tried (admittedly, in inevitable futility) to argue exactly as to why you imagine they are contrary to one another. But, since you hadn't a clue that to be contradictory and to be contrary are two, different things--let alone, you had no clue as to how they differ--you just plunged, headlong, into embarrassing yourself, as you've done.

But, since you wish to say that those two propositions--'God caused David to number Israel' and 'Satan caused David to number Israel'--are contradictories, you have at least admitted, thereby, that one of them must be true, though you have declared, also thereby, that the other must be false. So, which (of these two Bible propositions that you ignorantly, and wrongly, say are contradictories) is the proposition you say must be true?
    1. God caused David to number Israel
    2. Satan caused David to number Israel

Every time Bible-despisers such as yourself claim that the Bible is full of contradictory propositions, you are, in fact, thereby, at least admitting that the Bible is half-full of TRUE propositions.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7djengo7 For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (July 12th, 2019),Right Divider (July 13th, 2019)

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha...........ha!
    I'm glad you have a sense of humor because you have just offered what is most likely the poorest attempt at logical argument I have personally ever observed.

That you stated it with such pride and gusto is truly perplexing. But, hey....on the upside, you got two likes for it.

So, now that you've said your part....readers have two opposing arguments to consider. I argue the passages in question are contradictory, you claim they are not.

Your religion allows you to believe that God intentionally causes people to sin, mine does not.

Your "logical argument" is in direct opposition to the Book of James, mine is not. Perhaps you are another one of these Christians who believes that the Book of James does not belong in the Bible, I don't know and at this point it doesn't matter.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Guyver For Your Post:

Rusha (July 13th, 2019)

Thread Information