User Tag List

Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 230

Thread: Young Earth or Old?

  1. #1
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    13,721
    Thanks
    1,280
    Thanked 8,728 Times in 5,725 Posts

    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147838

    Young Earth or Old?

    Is the earth relatively young (6,000-10,000 years old) or is it old (millions or billions of years old)? This thread will discuss this subject. First, let us look at the following two verses which refer to the creation:

    "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth" (Gen.1:1).

    "For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited"
    (Isa.45:18).

    In the beginning the LORD created the earth and formed it to be inhabited. However, sometime after He formed it to be inhabited it became "without form" and dark so that it was no longer fitted to be inhabited:

    "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day" (Gen.1:5).

    What is said in "bold" in the following statement refers to the earth being inhabited before it was in a state described as being without form:

    "Of the origin of our world the first chapter of Genesis tells us nothing save that 'in the beginning,' whenever that was, God 'created' it. It may be, as Tyndall said in his Belfast address, that 'for eons embracing untold millions of years, this earth has been the theatre of life and death.' But as to this the 'Mosaic narrative' is silent. It deals merely with the renewing and refurnishing of our planet as a home for man" (Sir Robert Anderson, A DOUBTER'S DOUBTS About Science and Religion).

    Sometime after the world was no longer habitable the LORD began to re-form both the earth and the heavens to make it habitable and that took six days. So in the debate between Christian about whether the earth is young or old I say that it is old.
    Last edited by Jerry Shugart; March 27th, 2019 at 01:57 PM.

  2. #2
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    18,730
    Thanks
    485
    Thanked 12,408 Times in 8,832 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147848
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    It may be ... that 'for eons embracing untold millions of years, this earth has been the theatre of life and death.'
    Or it might not be.

    But as to this the 'Mosaic narrative' is silent.
    So you've got an argument from silence.

    Got any evidence?

    I say that it is old.
    Good for you.

    Have you got any reason that it would be wrong to believe that the universe and everything in it was made in six days?
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (March 23rd, 2019),Right Divider (March 23rd, 2019)

  4. #3
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    13,721
    Thanks
    1,280
    Thanked 8,728 Times in 5,725 Posts

    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147838
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Have you got any reason that it would be wrong to believe that the universe and everything in it was made in six days?
    I just can't believe that even though the LORD formed the earth to be habitable that the following verse is speaking about the way the LORD originally formed it since it was not habitable at this point in time:

    "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep"
    (Gen.1:1-2).

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Shugart For Your Post:

    Apple7 (March 23rd, 2019)

  6. #4
    Over 6000 post club Aimiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    6,516
    Thanks
    367
    Thanked 422 Times in 310 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    117555
    While I believe that the earth is very young, indeed; there are also a very large number of contemporary scientists who fall in the young earth category: HERE is a list of a few. Should the earth actually be millions of years old, it may just be that God created it with man in mind but let angels inhabit it. We aren't told yet, so it really doesn't much matter. We'll know one day.
    "That man of sin must first be revealed." -- Jesus

    If you haven't tried: you've already failed. -- Aimiel

  7. #5
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    13,721
    Thanks
    1,280
    Thanked 8,728 Times in 5,725 Posts

    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147838
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimiel View Post
    While I believe that the earth is very young, indeed; there are also a very large number of contemporary scientists who fall in the young earth category: HERE is a list of a few. Should the earth actually be millions of years old, it may just be that God created it with man in mind but let angels inhabit it. We aren't told yet, so it really doesn't much matter. We'll know one day.
    Most of the scientists you list are denying evolution, not young or old earth.

    I too deny evolution but I believe that the earth is old and not young.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Shugart For Your Post:

    Apple7 (March 23rd, 2019)

  9. #6
    Over 3000 post club Apple7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,490
    Thanks
    430
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 855 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    158700
    The earth is billions of years old, and the Universe is even older...

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple7 For Your Post:

    Jerry Shugart (March 24th, 2019)

  11. #7
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    18,730
    Thanks
    485
    Thanked 12,408 Times in 8,832 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147848
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    I just can't believe...
    So no evidence then?
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (March 23rd, 2019),way 2 go (March 24th, 2019)

  13. #8
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    18,730
    Thanks
    485
    Thanked 12,408 Times in 8,832 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147848
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple7 View Post
    The earth is billions of years old, and the Universe is even older...
    Because... reasons.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (March 23rd, 2019)

  15. #9
    Over 3000 post club Apple7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,490
    Thanks
    430
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 855 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    158700
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Because... reasons.
    Einstein's Relativity...

  16. #10
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    18,730
    Thanks
    485
    Thanked 12,408 Times in 8,832 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147848
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple7 View Post
    Einstein's Relativity...


    Faraday's electrochemistry.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (March 24th, 2019)

  18. #11
    Over 3000 post club Apple7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,490
    Thanks
    430
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 855 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    158700
    Perhaps a more important question than the age of the earth and Universe, is WHY God needed to create it in the first place.

    There are numerous creation stories contained in scripture, and many of them have woven-in the need to specifically mention evil encompassing creation....rather strange, unless, the entire reason for creation is to conquer evil to begin with...

  19. #12
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    18,730
    Thanks
    485
    Thanked 12,408 Times in 8,832 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147848
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple7 View Post
    Perhaps a more important question...
    Sounds like you need your own thread.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    Apple7 (March 24th, 2019),JudgeRightly (March 24th, 2019)

  21. #13
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    13,721
    Thanks
    1,280
    Thanked 8,728 Times in 5,725 Posts

    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147838
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    So no evidence then?
    I stated my evidence but you must have not have understood it. The following verse does not describe the way that the LORD created the earth:

    "And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep" (Gen.1:2).

    When the LORD created the earth it was formed to be inhabited:

    "For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited" (Isa.45:18).

    According to your idea the LORD made the earth without form despite the fact that the Scriptures declare that He formed it to be inhabited.

  22. #14
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    18,730
    Thanks
    485
    Thanked 12,408 Times in 8,832 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147848
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    I stated my evidence.
    It boils down to an argument from silence.

    The following verse does not describe the way that the LORD created the earth:
    Because you say so?

    When the LORD created the earth it was formed to be inhabited:
    And it was.

    Still is.

    According to your idea the LORD made the earth without form despite the fact that the Scriptures declare that He formed it to be inhabited.
    When He started, it was without form. That's what the Bible says. When He finished, it had form and was inhabited.

    It's a mystery to me why this is confusing you.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (March 24th, 2019),way 2 go (March 24th, 2019)

  24. #15
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    13,721
    Thanks
    1,280
    Thanked 8,728 Times in 5,725 Posts

    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147838
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    It's a mystery to me why this is confusing you.
    You are the one who is confused because you can't seem to understand what is said here:

    "For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited" (Isa.45:18).

    The LORD created the earth to be inhabited. Will you answer a question for me? Do you think that the following verse describes an earth which the LORD formed to be inhabited?:

    "And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep" (Gen.1:2).

    Please explain how the earth could be "formed" to be inhabited even though, according to you, the earth was created by the LORD "without form."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us