User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37

Thread: An Error in the King James Version of the Bible

  1. #16
    Veteran Jason0047's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    339
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    The facts demonstrate that the children of Israel didn't even begin their journey to exit Egypt until the day after the passover:

    "And they departed from Rameses in the first month, on the fifteenth day of the first month; on the morrow after the passover the children of Israel went out with an high hand in the sight of all the Egyptians" (Num.33:3).

    Their exit out of Egypt was on the 15th and that feast of unleavened bread was to celebrate their EXIT OUT OF EGYPT:

    "And ye shall observe the feast of unleavened bread; for in this selfsame day have I brought your armies out of the land of Egypt: therefore shall ye observe this day in your generations by an ordinance for ever"
    (Ex.12:17).

    They were to observe the feast of unleavened bread on the "selfsame day" when they exited the land of Egypt.

    The day they began their trip out of Egypt was the 15th and the day when they exited Egypt was on the 15th.

    But you say that the feast of unleavened bread began on the 14th.
    Right, because there is a difference between:

    (a) The FIRST day of unleavened bread ON THE PASSOVER of the 14th (vs.):
    (b) The feast (a generic mention of a feast day and NOT the FIRST day) of the feast of unleavened bread on the 15th.

    Nowhere does the Bible say that the 15th is the FIRST day of unleavened bread. It merely says it is "the feast day."

    Try as you may, you will not fine anywhere in the Bible with the words "First day" attached with the 15th. It just does not exist.

    Besides, we learn from Scripture that they ate unleavened bread on the Passover. So technically speaking this was the FIRST day of unleavened bread.

    So there is no contradiction!

    It's like saying a platypus is a duck because it has a beak or calling a platypus as a beaver because it has a beaver like body.
    If you have never received the love that comes from accepting Jesus Christ as your personal Savior, check out this thread here: http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?132508-What-is-the-gospel-amp-what-is-it-s-end-goal-or-purpose-for-our-lives

  2. #17
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    13,622
    Thanks
    1,270
    Thanked 8,681 Times in 5,688 Posts

    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147833
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason0047 View Post
    Nowhere does the Bible say that the 15th is the FIRST day of unleavened bread. It merely says it is "feast day."
    It says that the feast of unleavened bread was to be observed on the day when the Israelites left Egypt:

    "And ye shall observe the feast of unleavened bread; for in this selfsame day have I brought your armies out of the land of Egypt: therefore shall ye observe this day in your generations by an ordinance for ever" (Ex.12:17).

    They observed the feast of unleavened bread "in the selfsame day" that they exited Egypt. They did not even begin their trip to exot Egypt until the 15th:

    "And they departed from Rameses in the first month, on the fifteenth day of the first month; on the morrow after the passover the children of Israel went out with an high hand in the sight of all the Egyptians" (Num.33:3).

    The Passover was on the 14th and they left Egypt on the 15th and they observed the feast of unleavened bread "in the selfsame day" they left Egypt which was on the 15th.

    So they left Egypt of the 15th and observed the feast of unleavened bread on the 15th. Therefore, the feast of unleavened bread was observed the day AFTER the passover but the KJV translation here incoorectly has the feast of unleavened bread happening BEFORE the passover:

    "Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?" (Mt.26:17; KJV).

    Can you not even understand that the 15th day of the month follows the 14th day and does not precede the 14th day?

  3. #18
    Over 6000 post club
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    L.A.
    Posts
    6,256
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 772 Posts

    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    302440
    [QUOTE=Jerry Shugart;5325759]According to the KJV the first day of the feast of unleavened bread preceded the passover:

    "Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?" (Mt.26:17; KJV).

    That cannot be right because the passover was on the 14th and the feast of unleavened bread was on the 15th:

    "These are the feasts of the LORD, even holy convocations, which ye shall proclaim in their seasons. In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the LORD'S passover. And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread"
    (Lev.23:4-6).

    In the KJV at Matthew 26:17 the translators incorrectly added the word "feast."
    /QUOTE]

    Hi Jerry and I would would say what you say ,,that word FEAST was ADDED , not so !!

    Words in ITALIC are what scholars call and ABSOLUTE or a ELLIPSIS where the OMITTED word or words are supplied from the nature of the subject and the only one I know that references that problem is E Bullinger in his book FIGURES OF SPEECH !!

    dan p

  4. #19
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    13,622
    Thanks
    1,270
    Thanked 8,681 Times in 5,688 Posts

    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147833
    [QUOTE=DAN P;5326238]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    According to the KJV the first day of the feast of unleavened bread preceded the passover:

    "Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?" (Mt.26:17; KJV).

    That cannot be right because the passover was on the 14th and the feast of unleavened bread was on the 15th:

    "These are the feasts of the LORD, even holy convocations, which ye shall proclaim in their seasons. In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the LORD'S passover. And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread"
    (Lev.23:4-6).

    In the KJV at Matthew 26:17 the translators incorrectly added the word "feast."
    /QUOTE]

    Hi Jerry and I would would say what you say ,,that word FEAST was ADDED , not so !!
    Dan, you are wrong. If you go to the Greek text the Greek word translated "feast" is not there.

  5. #20
    Veteran Jason0047's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    339
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    It says that the feast of unleavened bread was to be observed on the day when the Israelites left Egypt:

    "And ye shall observe the feast of unleavened bread; for in this selfsame day have I brought your armies out of the land of Egypt: therefore shall ye observe this day in your generations by an ordinance for ever" (Ex.12:17).

    They observed the feast of unleavened bread "in the selfsame day" that they exited Egypt. They did not even begin their trip to exot Egypt until the 15th:

    "And they departed from Rameses in the first month, on the fifteenth day of the first month; on the morrow after the passover the children of Israel went out with an high hand in the sight of all the Egyptians" (Num.33:3).

    The Passover was on the 14th and they left Egypt on the 15th and they observed the feast of unleavened bread "in the selfsame day" they left Egypt which was on the 15th.

    So they left Egypt of the 15th and observed the feast of unleavened bread on the 15th. Therefore, the feast of unleavened bread was observed the day AFTER the passover but the KJV translation here incoorectly has the feast of unleavened bread happening BEFORE the passover:

    "Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?" (Mt.26:17; KJV).

    Can you not even understand that the 15th day of the month follows the 14th day and does not precede the 14th day?
    Your not grasping what I have said. But that's okay.

    May God bless you.
    If you have never received the love that comes from accepting Jesus Christ as your personal Savior, check out this thread here: http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?132508-What-is-the-gospel-amp-what-is-it-s-end-goal-or-purpose-for-our-lives

  6. #21
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    13,622
    Thanks
    1,270
    Thanked 8,681 Times in 5,688 Posts

    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147833
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason0047 View Post
    Your not grasping what I have said. But that's okay.
    Ive answered your assertion that the feast of unleavened bread began on the 14th. But you refuse to believe what the Scriptures say about the Jews observing the feast of unleavened bread on the "selfsame day" when the children of Israel left Egypt.

    According to you the children of Israel began to observe the feast of unleavened bread the day before they left Egypt.

  7. #22
    Veteran Jason0047's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    339
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    751
    I will say it one more time, and if you don't get it, I am moving on.

    There is a difference between:

    #1. THE feast of unleavened bread
    (Leviticus 23:5) vs.

    #2. FIRST DAY of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover
    (Mark 14:12).

    If you were to read the whole of Leviticus 23:5-8, they ate unleavened bread ALL seven days (See: verse 6).
    This means:
    The 14th, they would have ate unleavened bread (Which is confirmed by Exodus 12:8). This would be the FIRST DAY of unleavened bread, which is the Passover.
    The 15th would be THE feast day of unleavened bread.

    It's kind of like Christmas Day and Christmas Eve.
    The word "Eve" distinguishes the two. Just like the word "FIRST DAY" distinguishes itself from "THE Day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread."

    As for your suggesting before that Matthew 26:17 is in error because it suggesting that the First Day of unleavened bread is a separate day (the 13th) from the Passover (the 14th) because they were going to prepare for the Passover:

    Well, you cannot make the assumption that just because they are preparing for the Passover that they are not already within the time of the Passover.

    In fact, Luke 22:7-9 says this:
    7 "Then came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover must be killed.
    8 And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go and prepare us the passover, that we may eat.
    9 And they said unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare? "

    So unless you want to say that Luke 22:7-9 is also in error, Matthew 26:17 is saying the same thing here as Luke 22:7-9.
    Last edited by Jason0047; March 16th, 2019 at 02:30 AM.
    If you have never received the love that comes from accepting Jesus Christ as your personal Savior, check out this thread here: http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?132508-What-is-the-gospel-amp-what-is-it-s-end-goal-or-purpose-for-our-lives

  8. #23
    Over 6000 post club
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    L.A.
    Posts
    6,256
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 772 Posts

    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    302440
    [QUOTE=Jerry Shugart;5326241]
    Quote Originally Posted by DAN P View Post

    Dan, you are wrong. If you go to the Greek text the Greek word translated "feast" is not there.
    Hi Jerry and just google and ask what and ask what and ELLIPSIS means when used in the bible , do not be CRANKY , so check and see !!

    dan p

  9. #24
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    13,622
    Thanks
    1,270
    Thanked 8,681 Times in 5,688 Posts

    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147833
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason0047 View Post
    If you were to read the whole of Leviticus 23:5-8, they ate unleavened bread ALL seven days (See: verse 6).
    "These are the feasts of the LORD, even holy convocations, which ye shall proclaim in their seasons. 5. In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the LORD'S passover. 6. And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread. 7. In the first day ye shall have an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein. 8. But ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD seven days: in the seventh day is an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein" (Lev.23:4-8).

    It says plainly that the 15th is the feast of unleavened bread. But you say that it started on the 14th. We also see this said about the feast of unleavened bread:

    "Unleavened bread shall be eaten seven days; and there shall no leavened bread be seen with thee, neither shall there be leaven seen with thee in all thy quarters. And thou shalt shew thy son in that day, saying, This is done because of that which the LORD did unto me when I came forth out of Egypt" (Ex.13:7-9).

    This was done in memory of the day when the Israelites came out of Egypt. That matches perfectly with what is said here in regard to the samre feast:

    "And ye shall observe the feast of unleavened bread; for in this selfsame day have I brought your armies out of the land of Egypt: therefore shall ye observe this day in your generations by an ordinance for ever" (Ex.12:17-18).

    The Israelites remained in Israel on the 14th and the passover was observed on the 14th so the 14th was not the same day when the Israelites departed Egypt. Instead, they departed on the 15th and that is why we read that the feast of unleavened bread was on the 15th:

    "In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the LORD'S passover. And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD"
    (Lev.23:5-6).

    You still have not addressed even one verse which I quoted from the book of Exodus even though I have addressed the verses from the book of Leviticus.

    Why is that?

  10. #25
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    13,622
    Thanks
    1,270
    Thanked 8,681 Times in 5,688 Posts

    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147833
    Quote Originally Posted by DAN P View Post

    Hi Jerry and just google and ask what and ask what and ELLIPSIS means when used in the bible , do not be CRANKY , so check and see !!

    dan p
    Just check the Greek texts and you will see that the italaized words are not found in those texts.
    Last edited by Jerry Shugart; March 15th, 2019 at 01:11 PM.

  11. #26
    Over 750 post club iamaberean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    947
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 81 Times in 74 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    52301

  12. #27
    Veteran Jason0047's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    339
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    751
    Jerry:

    Moving on (away from this topic with you).

    May God bless you.
    If you have never received the love that comes from accepting Jesus Christ as your personal Savior, check out this thread here: http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?132508-What-is-the-gospel-amp-what-is-it-s-end-goal-or-purpose-for-our-lives

  13. #28
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    13,622
    Thanks
    1,270
    Thanked 8,681 Times in 5,688 Posts

    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147833
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason0047 View Post
    Jerry:

    Moving on (away from this topic with you).
    Just don't forget that you never even attempted to address the verses that I quoted from the book of Exodus which prove that the following translation from the KJV is in error:

    "Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?" (Mt.26:17; KJV).

    This translation has the first day of the feast of unleavened bread happening prior to the eating of the passover but anyone can read the verses from the book of Exodus which I quoted and see that the eating of the passover happened before the first day of the feast of unleavened bread.

  14. #29
    Over 6000 post club
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    L.A.
    Posts
    6,256
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 772 Posts

    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    302440
    [QUOTE=Jerry Shugart;5326241]
    Quote Originally Posted by DAN P View Post

    Dan, you are wrong. If you go to the Greek text the Greek word translated "feast" is not there.
    Hi and you missed 1 other words and there 2 words in the ELLISPSIS in Matt 26:17 and they are DAY and FEAST !!

    dan p

  15. #30
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    13,622
    Thanks
    1,270
    Thanked 8,681 Times in 5,688 Posts

    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147833
    Quote Originally Posted by DAN P View Post
    Hi and you missed 1 other words and there 2 words in the ELLISPSIS in Matt 26:17 and they are DAY and FEAST !!
    So what is your point, Dan?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. john w

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us