Thanks
    Thanked 40,135 Times in 20,063 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    I won't hesitate to place members in the penalty box that stalk and harass. If they keep doing it I will punt them for good. It doesn't matter who they are. TOL needs to start growing again. The mocking and harassment is hurting this site. It is also a poor witness to non-Christians.
    You do an incredible job, Sherman. Except that time you.......

Well, never mind about that.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (March 4th, 2019),Tambora (March 4th, 2019)

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,741 Times in 7,253 Posts

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    He just doesn't want to admit he's wrong. That's a human race problem, my friend. Ask me something, and I'll tell you. Go ahead. Just ask away.
    how much hog could a groundhog grind if a groundhog could grind hog?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

glorydaz (March 4th, 2019),JudgeRightly (March 4th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,981 Times in 11,988 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

He just doesn't want to admit he's wrong. That's a human race problem, my friend.
    Not in this case. It would be simple enough to say "I don't know." Any normal adult can and will do that.

What I'm talking about is the people who dodge such questions BUT THEN giggle and gloat over dodging them while persisting in a discussion THEY JUST PROVED is out of their depth.

That's different from trolling...how?

Tell me, please, why should admin tolerate such behavior that does nothing but disrupt? Why should "normal" users have to ignore them when Ignore doesn't completely work?
    "There is one thing worse than going to Hell. That would be going to Hell and having it be a surprise."
    Terence Mc Lean

[most will be very surprised]

Everyone who has not believed the Gospel of grace is not saved, no matter what else they believe or do.
    By that measure, how many professing Christians are on their way to the Lake of Fire?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to musterion For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (March 4th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,887 Times in 8,791 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musterion View Post
    Not in this case. It would be simple enough to say "I don't know." Any normal adult can and will do that.

What I'm talking about is the people who dodge such questions BUT THEN giggle and gloat over dodging them while persisting in a discussion THEY JUST PROVED is out of their depth.

That's different from trolling...how?

Tell me, please, why should admin tolerate such behavior that does nothing but disrupt? Why should "normal" users have to ignore them when Ignore doesn't completely work?
    The giggle and gloat stuff, please report so I can evaluate it. If they are putting up a bunch of mock smilies instead of engaging in dialog please report it. It's very similar to the kind of posts I am talking about. No one is exempt for getting placed in timeout or punted for trolling.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sherman For Your Post:

glorydaz (March 4th, 2019),JudgeRightly (March 4th, 2019),Tambora (March 4th, 2019)

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,741 Times in 7,253 Posts

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He just doesn't want to admit he's wrong...
    which is really really annoying to those of us who are never wrong

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (March 4th, 2019)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    The giggle and gloat stuff, please report so I can evaluate it. If they are putting up a bunch of mock smilies instead of engaging in dialog please report it. It's very similar to the kind of posts I am talking about. No one is exempt for getting placed in timeout or punted for trolling.
    I hear you. I'm done trolling these people, but that's why i did it (leftists too but that's because they're all disinfo agents).

There's usually no smileys, just the attitude. What I posted above is a perfect example. If someone isn't honest or isn't capable of participating (like Meshak), boot them from it please... especially when they're playing games with the Bible. That is the last thing the believers here should be asked to tolerate.
    "There is one thing worse than going to Hell. That would be going to Hell and having it be a surprise."
    Terence Mc Lean

Everyone who has not believed the Gospel of grace is not saved, no matter what else they believe or do.
    By that measure, how many professing Christians are on their way to the Lake of Fire?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to musterion For Your Post:

glorydaz (March 4th, 2019),JudgeRightly (March 4th, 2019),Tambora (March 4th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,887 Times in 8,791 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I hear you. I'm done trolling these people, but that's why i did it (leftists too but that's because they're all disinfo agents).

There's usually no smileys, just the attitude. What I posted above is a perfect example. If someone isn't honest or isn't capable of participating (like Meshak), boot them from it please... especially when they're playing games with the Bible. That is the last thing the believers here should be asked to tolerate.
    If she starts up her harping 'Mainstream Churches' and 'trins' again, I won't hesitate to boot her. That is trolling.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sherman For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (March 4th, 2019),musterion (March 4th, 2019),Right Divider (March 4th, 2019),Tambora (March 4th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,100 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An example of what I'm talking about:

http://theologyonline.com/showthread...=1#post5323250

When TOL resets, will it be tolerated that people glibly avoid responses and questions based on what they asserted? This is the 2nd or 3rd time I asked a simple question based on what he said about covenants, but the person very deliberately refuses to answer while staying in the conversation.

This is one of the things majorly wrong with this site because it ticks people off and happens pretty much every day.
    You cannot force people to respond in the manner that you want them to. In fact... you can't force people to respond at all.

If you are in a discussion and a person is unresponsive to you just move on. Find someone else to talk to.

Determining if a person has responded in a manner satisfactory to you if far too subjective to enforce from a moderation standpoint.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Knight For Your Post:

fool (March 4th, 2019),glorydaz (March 4th, 2019),JudgeRightly (March 4th, 2019),Sherman (March 4th, 2019),Tambora (March 4th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,390 Times in 5,370 Posts

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it would help out at all, I wouldn't mind helping out if I were promoted to mod, even if it's just to watch the Woodshed and notify the admins of things that violate the TOL rules.

I don't mind either way, as I'm fine with just reporting posts too.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JudgeRightly For Your Post:

Knight (March 4th, 2019),musterion (March 4th, 2019),Sherman (March 4th, 2019),Tambora (March 4th, 2019)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    If it would help out at all, I wouldn't mind helping out if I were promoted to mod, even if it's just to watch the Woodshed and notify the admins of things that violate the TOL rules.

You will be hearing from us.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Knight For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (March 4th, 2019),Right Divider (March 4th, 2019),Sherman (March 4th, 2019),Tambora (March 4th, 2019)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    You cannot force people to respond in the manner that you want them to. In fact... you can't force people to respond at all.
    Exactly. That's the problem when they disrupt it this way BUT REFUSE TO LEAVE THE DISCUSSION.

If you are in a discussion and a person is unresponsive to you just move on. Find someone else to talk to.
    Your house, your rules, but you know when you get a bunch of them descending on one thread, it's shot all to Hell. The regulars (the ones you want here) do go elsewhere but only because the good discussions don't just die, they're killed by these fools because they're ALLOWED to do it. Happens time after time. Needs to be stopped or we'll have more like STP, Heir, Nick, Angel, etc, pack up and leave. With fewer honest hands on deck to combat them, they multiply and bring down even more threads because they're largely unopposed.

Determining if a person has responded in a manner satisfactory to you if far too subjective to enforce from a moderation standpoint.
    I disagree most vigorously. All you got to do is look for a pattern over time (or have people collect the data for the mods who can't be here every minute), and it doesn't take long to collate. I know I'm not the only person that behavior bugs and discourages.

But again, your house.
    Terence Mc Lean

22. The Following User Says Thank You to musterion For Your Post:

glorydaz (March 4th, 2019)

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post

If it'd help, me too.
    "Those who believe in Christ" are all the Christians, Catholic or not.

@Nee_Nihilo

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly. That's the problem when they disrupt it this way BUT REFUSE TO LEAVE THE DISCUSSION.

Your house, your rules, but you know when you get a bunch of them descending on one thread, it's shot all to Hell. The regulars (the ones you want here) do go elsewhere but only because the good discussions don't just die, they're killed by these fools because they're ALLOWED to do it. Happens time after time. Needs to be stopped or we'll have more like STP, Heir, Nick, Angel, etc, pack up and leave. With fewer honest hands on deck to combat them, they multiply and bring down even more threads because they're largely unopposed.

I disagree most vigorously. All you got to do is look for a pattern over time (or have people collect the data for the mods who can't be here every minute), and it doesn't take long to collate. I know I'm not the only person that behavior bugs and discourages.

But again, your house.
    A lot of times I don't respond to posts. Maybe it's a time constraint on my part or maybe I feel like the post doesn't deserve a response or maybe I didn't notice the person asked me a question.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Knight For Your Post:

fool (March 4th, 2019),JudgeRightly (March 4th, 2019),Rusha (March 8th, 2019)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    A lot of times I don't respond to posts. Maybe it's a time constraint on my part or maybe I feel like the post doesn't deserve a response or maybe I didn't notice the person asked me a question.
    That's not the case here, sir. These people do continue to notice, which is a big part of the problem. It's how they're having their fun. It's not that they're using Ignore. I'm sure of that because

(a) they often reply to other things you say, while just ignoring the serious point you wanted them to address. Or they respond to other people about things you posted without having whatever you posted be quoted; meaning they saw it real-time. Either way, they do still see you.

(b) oftentimes (as stated above) it's obvious that they enjoy not replying to direct questions or comments resulting from what THEY already said. Apparently it's fun.

That is a fairly subtle form of trolling but it is still trolling. I'm going to see if there's a name for it.
    Terence Mc Lean

27. The Following User Says Thank You to musterion For Your Post:

glorydaz (March 4th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 749 Posts

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me ask you a personal question Knight.
    When was the last time you took off all your clothes and jumped into a snow bank?
    Probably been a while eh?
    It's scary when you're working up to it but once it's done it's refreshing and soul invigorating for days.
    Bannings is how we got here, we can't ban our way out of a slump we banned our way into.
    Open the flood gates, snap your fingers and un-ban everyone.
    Bring on the zombie Apocalypse.
    Jump Into The Snowbank.

And yes, we'll need a small crew of additional mods to clean up junior level stuff like user Nike-shoes-for-cheap.
    More mods would mean more modding, more people to help detour new users toward productive use. And having mods that users can identify with goes a long way towards getting them to stay focused.

Traffic pays the rent, users make traffic, need more users, users start fights, more users = more bouncers.

And, if you sell the place ballpark what would it go for? Maybe some of the users would band together and buy it. Make a Consortium or a Foundation or a Corporation and keep it going for 100 years. Inject new talent and new ideas.

I found this place when I asked the search engine "Does God Exist?". Don't let that link go dark. Fight for it, fight for us and everyone that ever asked that question.
    Everyman is a voice in the dark.
    I II III IV

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fool For Your Post:

glorydaz (March 4th, 2019),Stripe (March 4th, 2019)

Thread Information