Who was the best prophet of old? (Old Testament)

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Feel free to list why (both strengths and weaknesses IE—most effective, least sinning, most loving of God, humble, strong, valiant, brave, etc as well as the opposite).

PS: No Christophanies allowed (DUHHHHH). :jawdrop:

Drumroll please... :drum:

Edmond_Dantes

Elijah hands down, he had style and the best sense of humor.

1 Kings 18:27

27 At noon Elijah began to taunt them. "Shout louder!" he said. "Surely he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought, or busy, or traveling. Maybe he is sleeping and must be awakened."

Even though he got punked out by Jezebel for a bit.

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Old Elijah’s good, man. And you didn’t even bring up where he said they might be going potty :)rotfl:). Not to mention he’s got the coolest chariot of all time!

Glenda

Prophets are mouthpieces inspired by another
EX 4:15 And thou shalt speak unto him, and put words in his mouth: and I will be with thy mouth, and with his mouth, and will teach you what ye shall do.
EX 7:1 And the LORD said unto Moses, See, I have made thee a god to Pharaoh: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet.

Prophet
H5030
נביא
nâbîy'
naw-bee'
From H5012; a prophet or (generally) inspired man: - prophecy, that prophesy, prophet.

Since prophets are inspired mouthpieces, Moses would have to be the major prophet of scripture (the Jewish religious books that Jesus referred to since no NT existed) inspired by God
EX 4:12 Now therefore go, and I will be with thy mouth, and teach thee what thou shalt say.
Moses admitted to being a prophet of God
DEUT 18:15 The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;

Moses prophesied that another prophet like himself would be raised up by God
DEUT 18:18 I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.

The prophecy of Moses was not fulfilled until Jesus.
DEUT 34:10 And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face,

Moses prophesied of Jesus
JN 5:46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me.

Deut 34:10 confirms that Moses fits the requirement of your question.

andyc

1 Kings 20:35-37

This guy was a riot. The second guy must have really whacked him.

:maxi:

carolus magnus

Emperor of the Known Universe
LIFETIME MEMBER
John the Baptist was pretty hardcore

John the Baptist was pretty hardcore

I like John the Baptist who was pretty hardcore. From how the Bible depicts him I picture a curmudgeon with little sense of humor.

But since this is restricted to old Testament figures I'd have to say Moses is the most rad. Though Enoch is a fascinating figure because he had the cajones to face down Nephilim, and is so mysterious.

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Moses is tough to beat… although there are still plenty of canidates. Bald guys that have bears tear apart jerks, and tough dudes that hack kings to pieces are just a few. :upright:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Old Elijah’s good, man. And you didn’t even bring up where he said they might be going potty :)rotfl:). Not to mention he’s got the coolest chariot of all time!
There is just nothing quite like a "your god was out taking a dump" joke! :chuckle:

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Sorry Stuu... not allowed... OT dudes only... and no Christophanies. :doh: :cool: