User Tag List

Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 504

Thread: Scientists Question Darwinism

  1. #106
    Over 3000 post club
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,467
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,231 Posts

    Blog Entries
    12
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    354188
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    The evidence is the words of the text. They say "six days." The Bible plainly says "six days." The evidence is that it says "six days."

    If you want to disagree, you have to claim that the Bible does not plainly say "six days." Show us your evidence that the Bible cannot mean what it plainly says.....
    The World Christian Encyclopaedia calculates that there are currently 33000+ Christian denominations - with more being added as we speak!

    The reality is that when one claims to have the monopoly on interpreting these "plain truths," they are dismissing the beliefs of the other 32999+ denominations as false!

    Peter and Paul, the 2 most prominent Apostles in the early Christian Church had there differences - are we to assume that one was teaching a false doctrine?

  2. #107
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    13,736
    Thanks
    1,280
    Thanked 8,733 Times in 5,729 Posts

    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147838
    One thing that must be considered in regard to this discussion is the length of the seventh day, the day of rest. Did the LORD rest for just for 24 hours?

  3. #108
    Over 2000 post club Derf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,100
    Thanks
    527
    Thanked 923 Times in 633 Posts

    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    246939
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Divider View Post
    I appreciate the sentiment of your post, but that verse is NOT about the creation of humankind, but about the creation of Israel.

    Psa 100:3 KJV Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
    The first verse of the chapter (Ps 100:1 KJV) seems to disagree with you: "all ye lands".

    Other translations:
    ASV, WEB: "all ye lands"
    NKJV, HNV: "all you lands"
    RSV: "all the lands"
    NIV, ESV, NASB, NET, YLT, DBY, NLT: "all the earth"

    Seems to be pretty consistently translated to include more than just Israel, at least for the commands to "Make a joyful noise" and "Serve the Lord with gladness", not to mention "come before His presence with singing". It would be odd for the context to switch to just Israel for vs 3, and only after the first phrase (which maintains the second person address format), before it goes back to being more general in vs 4 with "Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name."

    Oh, but I see it says the word "sheep", and that automatically excludes everybody but Israel.

  4. #109
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    10,120
    Thanks
    1,794
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,299 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    523683
    Quote Originally Posted by jgarden View Post
    The World Christian Encyclopaedia calculates that there are currently 33000+ Christian denominations - with more being added as we speak!

    The reality is that when one claims to have the monopoly on interpreting these "plain truths," they are dismissing the beliefs of the other 32999+ denominations as false!
    What makes you think that there are 32999+ Christian denominations that deny that God created the heaven and the earth in six days?
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  5. #110
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    18,835
    Thanks
    503
    Thanked 12,562 Times in 8,904 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147849
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Well, let's see what God says was there in the beginning of creation...

    Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created heaven, and earth. 2 And the earth was void and empty, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the spirit of God moved over the waters.

    Your argument is that you think you can call God a liar without affecting your salvation?

    You've deluded yourself here. Neither God the father nor Jesus are lying. If you think about it a while, you can probably figure out how. Give it some time and let me know.
    You've been deluded about that. Remember your forbears in 2 Peter 3? They asked: "Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation."

    Or maybe you think "void and empty" is the "status quo."

    You've been deluded. Unfortunately for your already tattered reputation, it has previously been explained to you how "at the beginning of the creation" probably just means "during the creation week."

    Don't bother freaking us all out by showing some grace and actually learning something.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    genuineoriginal (February 21st, 2019),JudgeRightly (February 21st, 2019),Right Divider (February 21st, 2019)

  7. #111
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    18,835
    Thanks
    503
    Thanked 12,562 Times in 8,904 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147849
    Quote Originally Posted by jgarden View Post
    The World Christian Encyclopaedia calculates that there are currently 33000+ Christian denominations - with more being added as we speak!

    The reality is that when one claims to have the monopoly on interpreting these "plain truths," they are dismissing the beliefs of the other 32999+ denominations as false!

    Peter and Paul, the 2 most prominent Apostles in the early Christian Church had there differences - are we to assume that one was teaching a false doctrine?
    Don't bother sticking to the conversation. It is too embarrassing to retract your obviously stupid contributions.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (February 21st, 2019),Right Divider (February 21st, 2019)

  9. #112
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    18,835
    Thanks
    503
    Thanked 12,562 Times in 8,904 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147849
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    One thing that must be considered in regard to this discussion is the length of the seventh day, the day of rest. Did the LORD rest for just for 24 hours?
    The phrase might simply mean that He stopped creating the universe. Putting a timeframe on it might be like saying : "He finished building the boat" ... forever.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (February 21st, 2019)

  11. #113
    Over 2000 post club Derf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,100
    Thanks
    527
    Thanked 923 Times in 633 Posts

    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    246939
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Yep. You won't go to hell for being a creationist or for accepting evolution. It's just not a salvation issue. Unless you make one of them an idol and demand that all Christians must believe it your way. That could put your salvation in danger.
    What do you go to hell for? If we give God's glory to another? If we blaspheme the Holy Spirit by saying some demon (whatever his name may be) is responsible for God's work? I don't think you can say it is idolatry to give God glory where God says He did something good.

    And again, "evolution" isn't really the boogieman here. It's "evolutionism", or a belief in an unguided process, as @JudgeRightly was saying. An "unguided" creation is antithetical to God's creation narrative. And how far do we go when rejecting what God has told us? Do we stop at Genesis? Or is all scripture now suspect, and needing to be interpreted in light of current scientific theories.

    That's not to say that Christians haven't mis-interpreted scripture in gross ways over the years. Creationists need to be careful not to lock too tightly into a particular interpretation when others are feasible. God guiding an unguided process is an internally contradictory and unfeasible doctrine.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Derf For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (February 21st, 2019)

  13. #114
    Over 5000 post club quip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    5,776
    Thanks
    693
    Thanked 1,174 Times in 882 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    744593
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    ... but now more and more scientists are questioning Darwin's theory
    Yes they are....it's called science.
    _/\_

    Christians: "I - a stranger and afraid - in a world I never made.." -- Houseman

  14. #115
    Over 3000 post club
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,467
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,231 Posts

    Blog Entries
    12
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    354188
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    What makes you think that there are 32999+ Christian denominations that deny that God created the heaven and the earth in six days?
    Yoo have missing the point!

    Whether it was "a 6 day creation," or some other theological issue, each of these denominations felt that their Christian beliefs could not be accommodated by those that already existed - no matter how "plainly" you claim the Bible to be written!

    To assert that any of them have the monopoly on interpreting Scripture, dismisses all the others as false - a premise that has resulted in countless deaths due to centuries of religious wars amongst "Christians!"

  15. #116
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    10,120
    Thanks
    1,794
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,299 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    523683
    Quote Originally Posted by jgarden View Post
    Whether it was "a 6 day creation," or some other theological issue, each of these denominations felt that their Christian beliefs could not be accommodated by those that already existed.
    Yes, but the differences are often very small between the denominations.

    Quote Originally Posted by jgarden View Post
    To claim that any of them have a monopoly of interpreting Scripture, dismisses all the others as false - a premise that has resulted in countless deaths due to centuries of religious wars amongst Christians!
    You seem to be assuming that each of the 33000+ Christian denominations believe that the other 32999+ Christian denominations are so far off in their beliefs that they must wage bloody jihad against them.
    That is not the case.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  16. #117
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    18,835
    Thanks
    503
    Thanked 12,562 Times in 8,904 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147849
    Quote Originally Posted by jgarden View Post
    Yoo have missing the point!
    "Yoor" point is"ing" useless.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    genuineoriginal (February 21st, 2019),JudgeRightly (February 21st, 2019),way 2 go (February 21st, 2019)

  18. #118
    Over 3000 post club
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,467
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,231 Posts

    Blog Entries
    12
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    354188
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Don't bother sticking to the conversation. It is too embarrassing to retract your obviously stupid contributions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    "Yoor" point is"ing" useless.
    There is a reoccurring theme in the Bible that when we, in our "self-righteousness," attempt to pass harsh judgement on others, we are actually passing judgement on oneself!

  19. #119
    Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    18,835
    Thanks
    503
    Thanked 12,562 Times in 8,904 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147849
    Quote Originally Posted by jgarden View Post
    There is a reoccurring theme in the Bible that when we in our "self-righteousness" attempt to pass harsh judgement on others, we are actually passing judgement on yourself!
    Really?

    Interesting.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (February 21st, 2019),Right Divider (February 21st, 2019)

  21. #120
    TOL Legend Jerry Shugart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Luis Potosi,Mexico
    Posts
    13,736
    Thanks
    1,280
    Thanked 8,733 Times in 5,729 Posts

    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147838
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    The phrase might simply mean that He stopped creating the universe. Putting a timeframe on it might be like saying : "He finished building the boat" ... forever.
    Or maybe we are told to enter into God's rest?:

    "There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience"
    (Heb.4:9-11).

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us