User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43

Thread: America colonisation ‘cooled Earth's climate’

  1. #1
    LIFETIME MEMBER aCultureWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    16,478
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 1,097 Posts

    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    638909

    America colonisation ‘cooled Earth's climate’

    America colonisation ‘cooled Earth's climate’

    January 31, 2019

    Colonisation of the Americas at the end of the 15th Century killed so many people, it disturbed Earth's climate.
    That's the conclusion of scientists from University College London, UK.
    The team says the disruption that followed European settlement led to a huge swathe of abandoned agricultural land being reclaimed by fast-growing trees and other vegetation.
    This pulled down enough carbon dioxide (CO₂) from the atmosphere to eventually chill the planet.
    It's a cooling period often referred to in the history books as the "Little Ice Age" - a time when winters in Europe would see the Thames in London regularly freeze over.
    "The Great Dying of the Indigenous Peoples of the Americas led to the abandonment of enough cleared land that the resulting terrestrial carbon uptake had a detectable impact on both atmospheric CO₂ and global surface air temperatures," Alexander Koch and colleagues write in their paper published in Quaternary Science Reviews.

    What does the study show?
    The team reviewed all the population data it could find on how many people were living in the Americas prior to first contact with Europeans in 1492.
    It then assessed how the numbers changed in following decades as the continents were ravaged by introduced disease (smallpox, measles, etc), warfare, slavery and societal collapse.
    It's the UCL group's estimate that 60 million people were living across the Americas at the end of the 15th Century (about 10% of the world's total population), and that this was reduced to just five or six million within a hundred years.

    Read more: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47063973

    The things you learn from liberal studies. I didn't know that the North, Central and South American Indians (aka indigenous civilizations) didn't have diseases, war nor slavery prior to the Europeans arriving, nor did I know that they were known for their farming.
    The very long history of Donald Trump's pro homosexual and transgender activism, before and during his Presidency, can be found on page 141, post # 2113 and #2114.
    http://theologyonline.com/showthread...=1#post5336963
    http://theologyonline.com/showthread...=1#post5336964

  2. #2
    LIFETIME MEMBER aCultureWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    16,478
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 1,097 Posts

    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    638909
    Nor did I know that the population was that of 60 million. How did researchers come up with that number?
    The very long history of Donald Trump's pro homosexual and transgender activism, before and during his Presidency, can be found on page 141, post # 2113 and #2114.
    http://theologyonline.com/showthread...=1#post5336963
    http://theologyonline.com/showthread...=1#post5336964

  3. #3
    LIFETIME MEMBER aCultureWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    16,478
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 1,097 Posts

    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    638909
    Health conditions before Columbus: paleopathology of native North Americans
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1071659/
    The very long history of Donald Trump's pro homosexual and transgender activism, before and during his Presidency, can be found on page 141, post # 2113 and #2114.
    http://theologyonline.com/showthread...=1#post5336963
    http://theologyonline.com/showthread...=1#post5336964

  4. #4
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24,900
    Thanks
    3,815
    Thanked 9,331 Times in 6,925 Posts

    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior View Post
    The team says the disruption that followed European settlement led to a huge swathe of abandoned agricultural land being reclaimed by fast-growing trees and other vegetation.
    soooo

    cultivated vegetation was replaced by non-cultivated vegetation?

    and this non-cultivated vegetation had magical CO2 capturing superpowers?

    not buying it, but...

    if these frauds believed what they're shoveling, wouldn't it be a good idea to identify the magical vegetation and plant it everywhere?

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (February 5th, 2019)

  6. #5
    LIFETIME MEMBER aCultureWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    16,478
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 1,097 Posts

    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    638909
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    soooo

    cultivated vegetation was replaced by non-cultivated vegetation?

    and this non-cultivated vegetation had magical CO2 capturing superpowers?

    not buying it, but...

    if these frauds believed what they're shoveling, wouldn't it be a good idea to identify the magical vegetation and plant it everywhere?
    Being that you're of American Indian descent, and have on occasion been known to belittle the founders of this country, I was hoping that you'd take the side of the authors of the article in the OP.
    The very long history of Donald Trump's pro homosexual and transgender activism, before and during his Presidency, can be found on page 141, post # 2113 and #2114.
    http://theologyonline.com/showthread...=1#post5336963
    http://theologyonline.com/showthread...=1#post5336964

  7. #6
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24,900
    Thanks
    3,815
    Thanked 9,331 Times in 6,925 Posts

    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior View Post
    Being that you're of American Indian descent...
    unknown

    , and have on occasion been known to belittle the founders of this country
    not all of them, just the ones who did things that earned them disdain

    like owning slaves

    and raping them

    stuff like that

    I was hoping that you'd take the side of the authors of the article in the OP.
    sorry to disappoint you

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (February 5th, 2019)

  9. #7
    LIFETIME MEMBER aCultureWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    16,478
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 1,097 Posts

    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    638909
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post

    not all of them, just the ones who did things that earned them disdain

    like owning slaves

    and raping them

    stuff like that
    Kinda sounds like stuff done by indigenous peoples.



    But then the woman in the painting probably deserved it, as she undoubtedly made the blanket that was permeated with smallpox.
    The very long history of Donald Trump's pro homosexual and transgender activism, before and during his Presidency, can be found on page 141, post # 2113 and #2114.
    http://theologyonline.com/showthread...=1#post5336963
    http://theologyonline.com/showthread...=1#post5336964

  10. #8
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24,900
    Thanks
    3,815
    Thanked 9,331 Times in 6,925 Posts

    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior View Post
    Kinda sounds like stuff done by indigenous peoples.

    meh indigenous people everywhere - england, scotland, the celts, the picts, the normans, the gauls, the saxons, the vikings - brutality and inhumanity is more the norm than the exception, historically

    and that's just looking at northern europe

    the problem the indians had with european settlers was that they were facing a population as brutal as they were, but better armed

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

    genuineoriginal (February 6th, 2019),JudgeRightly (February 5th, 2019)

  12. #9
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24,900
    Thanks
    3,815
    Thanked 9,331 Times in 6,925 Posts

    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior View Post
    ... the blanket that was permeated with smallpox.

    meh i have no problem with amherst's decision to reduce his enemy's numbers by any means possible

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (February 5th, 2019)

  14. #10
    LIFETIME MEMBER aCultureWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    16,478
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 1,097 Posts

    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    638909
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    meh indigenous people everywhere - england, scotland, the celts, the picts, the normans, the gauls, the saxons, the vikings - brutality and inhumanity is more the norm than the exception, historically

    and that's just looking at northern Europe
    The article linked in the OP and hence my use of the term means North, Central and South American Indians.

    the problem the indians had with european settlers was that they were facing a population as brutal as they were, but better armed
    I knew that you'd eventually come around to defending your peeps. While not all of the 'European invaders'
    were Christian and did commit atrocities against "indigenous people", they had no idea what kind of savagery the "indigenous people" were capable of.

    "In his epic work France and England in North America, the great American historian Francis Parkman describes the early 17th-century recreational and culinary habits of the Iroquois Indians (also known as the Five Nations, from whom, some will have it, the United States derived elements of its Constitution). He tells that the Iroquois, along with other tribes of northeastern United States and Canada, "were undergoing that process of extermination, absorption, or expatriation, which, as there is reason to believe, had for many generations formed the gloomy and meaningless history of the greater part of this continent." Parkman describes an attack by the Iroquois on an Algonquin hunting party, late in the autumn of 1641, and the Iroquois' treatment of their prisoners and victims:..."
    http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v17/v17n3p-7_Beary.html
    The very long history of Donald Trump's pro homosexual and transgender activism, before and during his Presidency, can be found on page 141, post # 2113 and #2114.
    http://theologyonline.com/showthread...=1#post5336963
    http://theologyonline.com/showthread...=1#post5336964

  15. #11
    LIFETIME MEMBER aCultureWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    16,478
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 1,097 Posts

    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    638909
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    meh i have no problem with amherst's decision to reduce his enemy's numbers by any means possible
    Link please (conspiracy theories need to be backed up here).
    The very long history of Donald Trump's pro homosexual and transgender activism, before and during his Presidency, can be found on page 141, post # 2113 and #2114.
    http://theologyonline.com/showthread...=1#post5336963
    http://theologyonline.com/showthread...=1#post5336964

  16. #12
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24,900
    Thanks
    3,815
    Thanked 9,331 Times in 6,925 Posts

    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior View Post
    The article linked in the OP and hence my use of the term means North, Central and South American Indians.
    yes, them too


    I knew that you'd eventually come around to defending your peeps.
    which "peeps" are those?

    i identify as primarily northern european heritage, but don't exclude the possibility of indigenous, as my forebears were here in america 400 years ago, in an area of the northeast that had a lot of mixing with natives, french from new france and the Métis

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (February 5th, 2019)

  18. #13
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24,900
    Thanks
    3,815
    Thanked 9,331 Times in 6,925 Posts

    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior View Post
    Link please (conspiracy theories need to be backed up here).
    https://www.umass.edu/legal/derrico/...lord_jeff.html

    amherst's correspondence is still extant - no historian doubts its veracity

    Last edited by ok doser; February 2nd, 2019 at 05:25 PM.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (February 5th, 2019)

  20. #14
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24,900
    Thanks
    3,815
    Thanked 9,331 Times in 6,925 Posts

    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior View Post
    While not all of the 'European invaders'
    were Christian and did commit atrocities against "indigenous people", they had no idea what kind of savagery the "indigenous people" were capable of.

    "In his epic work France and England in North America, the great American historian Francis Parkman describes the early 17th-century recreational and culinary habits of the Iroquois Indians (also known as the Five Nations, from whom, some will have it, the United States derived elements of its Constitution). He tells that the Iroquois, along with other tribes of northeastern United States and Canada, "were undergoing that process of extermination, absorption, or expatriation, which, as there is reason to believe, had for many generations formed the gloomy and meaningless history of the greater part of this continent." Parkman describes an attack by the Iroquois on an Algonquin hunting party, late in the autumn of 1641, and the Iroquois' treatment of their prisoners and victims:..."
    http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v17/v17n3p-7_Beary.html
    they were brutal

    we were brutal

    they had stone

    we had steel

    they took time to torture

    we tended to bulldoze right through them without stopping


    it was hundreds of years ago, they lost - time to get over it and move on

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (February 5th, 2019)

  22. #15
    Over 5000 post club fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,724
    Thanks
    440
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 749 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    309184
    Quote Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior View Post
    nor did I know that they were known for their farming.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cahokia

    Archaeologists estimate the city's population at between 6,000 and 40,000 at its peak,[20] with more people living in outlying farming villages that supplied the main urban center
    But, that place was abandoned before Columbus sailed.
    Everyman is a voice in the dark.
    I II III IV

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us