User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Philosophy and Theology. Life Purpose. Meaning. Morality. Destiny.

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Philosophy and Theology. Life Purpose. Meaning. Morality. Destiny.

What is your life purpose (if it can be defined)? What are the effects of meaning, morality, and destiny upon your life? How do you find answers to life's questions? Are you grounded in the Word of God, Scripture, the Bible? Have you discarded Philosophy or do you think that it is a good idea?

Journeyman
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Life Purpose.
    2 Corinthians 5:15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bibleverse2 View Post
    2 Corinthians 5:15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
    Amen.

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is your life purpose (if it can be defined)? What are the effects of meaning, morality, and destiny upon your life? How do you find answers to life's questions? Are you grounded in the Word of God, Scripture, the Bible? Have you discarded Philosophy or do you think that it is a good idea?
    Theology is the "queen" of the sciences.
    "Those who believe in Christ" are all the Christians, Catholic or not.

@Nee_Nihilo

Seated in the heavenly places at God's right hand, in Him!
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,749 Times in 3,598 Posts

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reject philosophy? How could any of these questions be answered if one rejects philosophy?

Philosophy cannot be rejected. That would be like trying to stop thinking which would be to stop being. You cannot do it. Cogito Ergo Sum

Not only that but if you were to try to reject philosophy, you'd be trying to practice a philosophy. If you think it is a good idea to reject philosophy, that is a philosophy.

Any thought in your head about rejecting philosophy is an attempt to reject your own mind along with the basis for any motive to do so. It's the most self-contradictory, self-defeating thing imaginable.

Christianity and the Christian worldview is a philosophy and is, in fact, the only true philosophy. Theology is the logos of the theos, the study of God and is simply a branch or a type of philosophy. As such, Christian theology is Christian philosophy.

Clete

"The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clete For Your Post:

glorydaz (January 11th, 2019),JudgeRightly (January 12th, 2019),steko (January 12th, 2019)

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clete View Post
    Reject philosophy? How could any of these questions be answered if one rejects philosophy?

Philosophy cannot be rejected. That would be like trying to stop thinking which would be to stop being. You cannot do it. Cogito Ergo Sum

Not only that but if you were to try to reject philosophy, you'd be trying to practice a philosophy. If you think it is a good idea to reject philosophy, that is a philosophy.

Any thought in your head about rejecting philosophy is an attempt to reject your own mind along with the basis for any motive to do so. It's the most self-contradictory, self-defeating thing imaginable.

Christianity and the Christian worldview is a philosophy and is, in fact, the only true philosophy. Theology is the logos of the theos, the study of God and is simply a branch or a type of philosophy. As such, Christian theology is Christian philosophy.

Clete
    Thank you Clete. I can see your thinking here. I like it. I studied Philosophy in Community College. I had grown up in the church studying the Bible.

Colossians 2:8 NASB - See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Idolater View Post
    Theology is the "queen" of the sciences.
    I did a search but the result I am not displaying here as a discussion includes philosophy and evolution.

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did a search but the result I am not displaying here as a discussion includes philosophy and evolution.
    Nonetheless.
    "Those who believe in Christ" are all the Christians, Catholic or not.

@Nee_Nihilo

Journeyman
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jacob said in post #1:

Life Purpose.
    Mark 13:34 For the Son of man is as a man taking a far journey, who left his house, and gave authority to his servants, and to every man his work, and commanded the porter to watch.

Seated in the heavenly places at God's right hand, in Him!
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,749 Times in 3,598 Posts

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Clete. I can see your thinking here. I like it. I studied Philosophy in Community College. I had grown up in the church studying the Bible.

Colossians 2:8 NASB - See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.
    As for life's meaning, I think it can be boiled down to four words, "Not I but Christ."

Galatians 2: 20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

“The Proper Attitude of Man Under Grace:

“To believe, and to consent to be loved while unworthy, is the great secret.
    “To refuse to make ‘resolutions’ and ‘vows’; for that is to trust in the flesh.
    “To expect to be blessed, though realizing more and more lack of worth…
    “To rely on God’s chastening [child training] hand as a mark of His kindness…

“Things Which Gracious Souls Discover:

“To ‘hope to be better’ [hence acceptable] is to fail to see yourself in Christ only.
    “To be disappointed with yourself, is to have believed in yourself.
    “To be discouraged is unbelief,—as to God’s purpose and plan of blessing for you.
    “To be proud, is to be blind! For we have no standing before God, in ourselves.
    “The lack of Divine blessing, therefore, comes from unbelief, and not from failure of devotion…
    “To preach devotion first, and blessing second, is to reverse God’s order, and preach law, not grace. The Law made man’s blessing depend on devotion; Grace confers undeserved, unconditional blessing: our devotion may follow, but does not always do so,—in proper measure.” - Romans: Verse by Verse by Wm. R. Newell

"The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clete For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (January 12th, 2019),steko (January 12th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,223 Times in 5,251 Posts

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Science != evolution

Evolution != science

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that the purpose of life is The Testimony of Jesus which is: The Spirit of Prophecy. We are to covet to prophesy. To prophesy is to answer life's highest calling (IMHO) and the way one reaches this conclusion is a matter of personal philosophy and theology and we share our thoughts and feelings with others through our theology and philosophy but The Kingdom of Heaven is shared best through prophecy.

"That man of sin must first be revealed." -- Jesus

If you haven't tried: you've already failed. -- Aimiel

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and the answer is: 42.
    "That man of sin must first be revealed." -- Jesus

If you haven't tried: you've already failed. -- Aimiel

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Idolater View Post
    Nonetheless.
    Very well.

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    Science != evolution

Evolution != science
    That wasn't it, but okay. Should it be posted here?

Thread Information