Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Day Of Rest

Thanks

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    Can a person read how he didn't, or does the writer of Hebrews just say it? Why is it said? Why is Joshua mentioned? No speculation allowed.

I said
    I'm sorry but that is a silly question.
    Okay, but I have been asking it most of my life, and at one point I almost had an answer, so I have asked you. I do not know if you are ignorant of what the answer is, or if you do not want to share it for some reason.
    Bereishit - Genesis - Chapter 1

1 In the beginning of God's creation of the heavens and the earth.
    :א בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ

In beginning He created God the heavens and the earth

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Okay, but I have been asking it most of my life, and at one point I almost had an answer, so I have asked you. I do not know if you are ignorant of what the answer is, or if you do not want to share it for some reason.
    I said
    But what you are not listening to is why you have them questions what is the purpose of them questions. This is what Jesus teaches. If you dont know how to purge foolish questions they will torment you for years and keep you away from obeying Jesus. When I first got into scripture I was finding the answers for all my questions. Then I started getting questions that I couldnt find the answer to and they tormented me for a few years. And that could have been my breaking point until I read this verse. What it did was to reveal how the devil was taking up all my time so i couldnt study. One needs to learn how the devil deceives us into following a tangent. So I just said ok one when the time is right God will reveal the answer to me.

[2Ti 2:23
    [23] But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife.

Thanks

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I said
    But what you are not listening to is why you have them questions what is the purpose of them questions. This is what Jesus teaches. If you dont know how to purge foolish questions they will torment you for years and keep you away from obeying Jesus. When I first got into scripture I was finding the answers for all my questions. Then I started getting questions that I couldnt find the answer to and they tormented me for a few years. And that could have been my breaking point until I read this verse. What it did was to reveal how the devil was taking up all my time so i couldnt study. One needs to learn how the devil deceives us into following a tangent. So I just said ok one when the time is right God will reveal the answer to me.

[2Ti 2:23
    [23] But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife.
    It may be foolish to you, but it is in the new testament so that isn't it.

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It may be foolish to you, but it is in the new testament so that isn't it.

I said
    You said it best when you said you have been asking it most of your life. doesnt that tell you something. One of the gifts from God is how to let things go.

Thanks

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I said
    You said it best when you said you have been asking it most of your life. doesnt that tell you something. One of the gifts from God is how to let things go.
    Or when to put in the diligent study. There have been times.

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is this day of rest?
    Jesus said:

Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Thanks

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bibleverse2 View Post
    Jesus said:

Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
    Amen.

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or when to put in the diligent study. There have been times.
    I said
    Think of all the waisted time you spent on thinking about something you cant find an answer to.

Over 5000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bibleverse2 View Post
    Jesus said:

Yup...a sabbath rest...a literal full day and after six days of work...

8 For if Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. 10 For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His. 11 Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience.

Hebrew was written in Greek and the author resorts to a non Greek word “Sabbatismos” which reaches back to the Hebrew and its sabbath keeping...Greeks were sophisticated and civilized they have their own words for Saturday or Sunday or even holiday...but the author specifically wanted to make it about sabbath keeping...

Rest as Yah did...after 6 days of work...be diligent to enter that rest lest you fall into disobendience as the other sabbath keepers did...

Old Timer
    Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Joshua had given them rest, for example.
    Those verses are about how Heaven was foreshadowed through the Jews. The basic parallel is,

Moses, the great prophet led the Jews out of Egypt from being enslaved, into the promised land of Canaan.
    Jesus, the greatest prophet led humans out of Hades from being enslaved, into the promised land of Heaven.

The first generation of Jews were refused to enter Canaan. It is indicative of an oath said by God that "they can never enter my rest", which in NT era means that only the believers will be saved, but not those rebellious in our generation.

One of God's purpose of Sabbath is more like a declaration of His sovereignty. He rested on the seventh day. Today human kind has the same calendar to rest in weekends. Whether it's a Sunday or Saturday is less of importance. However if you are a Jew choosing to observe in accordance to the OT Sabbath, you may follow the same custom as delivered from the 10 commandments. We gentile Christians would rather attend Sunday services during our resting weekends.

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clefty View Post
    Yup...a sabbath rest...a literal full day and after six days of work...

8 For if Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. 10 For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His. 11 Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience.

Hebrew was written in Greek and the author resorts to a non Greek word “Sabbatismos” which reaches back to the Hebrew and its sabbath keeping...Greeks were sophisticated and civilized they have their own words for Saturday or Sunday or even holiday...but the author specifically wanted to make it about sabbath keeping...

Rest as Yah did...after 6 days of work...be diligent to enter that rest lest you fall into disobendience as the other sabbath keepers did...
    I said
    lol Or rest after 6000 years when Jesus returns.

Over 5000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I said
    lol Or rest after 6000 years when Jesus returns.
    The rest that Yah entered into in verse 10 was a seventh day rest...He then had to get back to work and keep working to save stiffnecked ones like you...

Over 5000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
    Those verses are about how Heaven was foreshadowed through the Jews. The basic parallel is,

Moses, the great prophet led the Jews out of Egypt from being enslaved, into the promised land of Canaan.
    Jesus, the greatest prophet led humans out of Hades from being enslaved, into the promised land of Heaven.

The first generation of Jews were refused to enter Canaan. It is indicative of an oath said by God that "they can never enter my rest", which in NT era means that only the believers will be saved, but not those rebellious in our generation.

One of God's purpose of Sabbath is more like a declaration of His sovereignty. He rested on the seventh day. Today human kind has the same calendar to rest in weekends. Whether it's a Sunday or Saturday is less of importance. However if you are a Jew choosing to observe in accordance to the OT Sabbath, you may follow the same custom as delivered from the 10 commandments. We gentile Christians would rather attend Sunday services during our resting weekends.
    Now it’s resting all weekends?

“Would rather”...some Israelites would rather worship a golden calf...that’s nice

So much for dying to self and living His way...

“Would rather...less importance...weekend of rest”

Soon it’s rest all week...layabout LAYodacian...lol

Sabbath was made for man...not just jews...

Sabbath was made for man as was woman...you reject her too?

Some sinners reject both...WOULD RATHER same sex it...and claim all that was abolished...too OT
    Last edited by clefty; January 11th, 2019 at 12:20 PM.

Old Timer
    Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now it’s resting all weekends?
    The point is, all mankind now are adapting God's calendar. This stands a witness of God's sovereignty. The rest is not as important.

Are you saying that Christians in the past thousand years have been practicing something wrong? I won't come to such an answer that lightly to put Christians in majority in the history of Christianity to the wrong side.

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rest that Yah entered into in verse 10 was a seventh day rest...He then had to get back to work and keep working to save stiffnecked ones like you...
    I said
    lol You only assume it was.

[2Pe 3:8
    [8] But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day [is] as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
    [Rev 20:2-3
    [2] He laid hold of the dragon, that serpent of old, who is [the] Devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years;
    [3] and he cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal on him, so that he should deceive the nations no more till the thousand years were finished. But after these things he must be released for a little while.

Thread Information