User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Operation Choke Point created by Obama to shut down legal businesses

  1. #1
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    10,284
    Thanks
    1,794
    Thanked 1,769 Times in 1,296 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    523680

    Operation Choke Point created by Obama to shut down legal businesses


    Obama's Operation Choke Point finally unmasked
    ...
    Operation Choke Point was a plot by President Obama’s Department of Justice, the Federal Deposit Insurance Commission, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and other government agencies to cut off banking and financial services for small businesses and industries that they deemed to be political enemies or otherwise undesirable.

    Some of these businesses included gun stores, ammunition shops, fireworks stores, small dollar lenders, and home-based charities.
    ...


    UNSEALED GOVERNMENT DOCUMENTS PROVE FEDERAL COVER-UP IN OPERATION CHOKEPOINT

    Newly-unsealed court documents released today show evidence of the federal government’s illegal Operation Choke Point program in which top government officials and federal agencies pressured banks to cut all ties with lawful businesses. More than 100 records expose depositions and damaging emails of government officials, most notably at the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), who executed a secretive campaign against lawful businesses it disfavored while ignoring due process and subverting the legal and regulatory process. This illegal campaign included threats from senior government officials that agency staff would be fired and bank officials could be subject to criminal prosecution. The key findings disclosed in the filing indicate that this campaign was instituted at the very highest levels of the FDIC and has been ruthlessly and enthusiastically implemented in the field

    ...


    The United States Government has implemented a devastating assault against lawful businesses and individuals that are considered politically incorrect.

    Operation Choke Point has been used by the US Government to force Patreon, PayPal, MasterCard, VISA, and banks to deny services to lawful businesses that have been relying on them for their business operations.

    Lawful businesses blacklisted by Operation Choke Point have no legal way to buy and sell because they can no longer use any banking services.

    Is this the end of freedom in the US?

    This thread is for discussing political implication of Operation Choke Point.
    For the religious discussion see: http://theologyonline.com/showthread...-United-States
    Last edited by genuineoriginal; January 8th, 2019 at 12:48 PM.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to genuineoriginal For Your Post:

    WizardofOz (January 11th, 2019)

  3. #2
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24,186
    Thanks
    3,469
    Thanked 8,688 Times in 6,447 Posts

    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147768
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post

    Is this the end of freedom in the US?
    i believe that happened january 20, 2009, when a foreign national was sworn in as president

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

    Aimiel (January 8th, 2019)

  5. #3
    Over 1000 post club The Horn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle,NY.
    Posts
    1,357
    Thanks
    257
    Thanked 366 Times in 261 Posts

    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    197241
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    i believe that happened january 20, 2009, when a foreign national was sworn in as president
    Obama is a US citizen born in Hawaii, and his mother was American . How can anyone still be dumb enough to believe the whole "Birther " farce ?

  6. #4
    LIFETIME MEMBER aCultureWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    16,332
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 1,089 Posts

    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    638906
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    It appears that the Republicrats have done away with the program, but more work needs to be done so that it doesn't happen in another administration.

    In August 2017, following diligent investigatory work by the House Financial Services Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit, chaired by Rep. Blain Luetkemeyer (R-MO), the Trump Justice Department announced that Operation Choke Point “is no longer in effect and will not be undertaken again.” But to really ensure something like Choke Point isn’t taken up by future administrations or rogue regulators, the U.S. Senate must follow the House and pass the bipartisan H.R. 2706, the Financial Institution Customer Protection Act. This bill, which passed the House overwhelmingly in late 2017 by 395-2, states that a financial regulatory agency “may not formally or informally request or order” a bank to terminate a relationship with a customer unless “the agency has a valid reason for such request or order, and such reason is not based solely on reputation risk.”
    https://cei.org/blog/year-review-201...on-choke-point
    Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

  7. #5
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24,186
    Thanks
    3,469
    Thanked 8,688 Times in 6,447 Posts

    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147768
    Quote Originally Posted by The Horn View Post
    Obama is a US citizen born in Hawaii, and his mother was American . How can anyone still be dumb enough to believe the whole "Birther " farce ?
    bammy was born to a british father and was automatically a british citizen on birth

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

    genuineoriginal (January 14th, 2019)

  9. #6
    Over 1000 post club The Horn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle,NY.
    Posts
    1,357
    Thanks
    257
    Thanked 366 Times in 261 Posts

    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    197241
    Obama's father was a Kenyan . So what ? Big deal . Who cares ? The Constitution does not say that you have to have two parents who were US born citizens in order to be eligible to be president . The whole birther farce was created because of a few bigoted right-wing extremist idiots who were outraged by a liberal black man running for president and later being elected .
    And millions of idiot American fell for it h look,line and sinker .
    Trump's mother was born in Scotland, and ironically she was an illegal alien . But there hasn't been a drop of outrage among conservatives . His current wife Melania appears to have been an illegal alien too . Zero complaints .

  10. #7
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    10,284
    Thanks
    1,794
    Thanked 1,769 Times in 1,296 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    523680
    Quote Originally Posted by The Horn View Post
    Obama's father was a Kenyan . So what ? Big deal . Who cares ? The Constitution does not say that you have to have two parents who were US born citizens in order to be eligible to be president .
    The Constitution says that the President must be a natural born citizen.

    No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President;

    The purpose of the clause was expounded upon by Justice Joseph L. Story.

    Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States (1833) BY JOSEPH L. STORY

    Sec. 1473. It is indispensable, too, that the president should be a natural born citizen of the United States; or a citizen at the adoption of the constitution, and for fourteen years before his election. This permission of a naturalized citizen to become president is an exception from the great fundamental policy of all governments, to exclude foreign influence from their executive councils and duties. It was doubtless introduced (for it has now become by lapse of time merely nominal, and will soon become wholly extinct) out of respect to those distinguished revolutionary patriots, who were born in a foreign land, and yet had entitled themselves to high honours in their adopted country. A positive exclusion of them from the office would have been unjust to their merits, and painful to their sensibilities. But the general propriety of the exclusion of foreigners, in common cases, will scarcely be doubted by any sound statesman. It cuts off all chances for ambitious foreigners, who might otherwise be intriguing for the office; and interposes a barrier against those corrupt interferences of foreign governments in executive elections, which have inflicted the most serious evils upon the elective monarchies of Europe. Germany, Poland, and even the pontificate of Rome, are sad, but instructive examples of the enduring mischiefs arising from this source. A residence of fourteen years in the United States is also made an indispensable requisite for every candidate; so, that the people may have a full opportunity to know his character and merits, and that he may have mingled in the duties, and felt the interests, and understood the principles, and nourished the attachments, belonging to every citizen in a republican government. By “residence,” in the constitution, is to be understood, not an absolute inhabitancy within the United States during the whole period; but such an inhabitancy, as includes a permanent domicil in the United States. No one has supposed, that a temporary absence abroad on public business, and especially on an embassy to a foreign nation, would interrupt the residence of a citizen, so as to disqualify him for office. If the word were to be construed with such strictness, then a mere journey through any foreign adjacent territory for health, or for pleasure, or a commorancy there for a single day, would amount to a disqualification. Under such a construction a military or civil officer, who should have been in Canada during the late war on public business, would have lost his eligibility. The true sense of residence in the constitution is fixed domicil, or being out of the United States, and settled abroad for the purpose of general inhabitancy, animo manendi, and not for a mere temporary and fugitive purpose, in transitu.

    Anyone with a father who is not a citizen of the United States will bring in the foreign influence that the phrase "natural born citizen" was designed to prevent.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to genuineoriginal For Your Post:

    ok doser (January 16th, 2019)

  12. #8
    LIFETIME MEMBER aCultureWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    16,332
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 1,089 Posts

    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    638906
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    Anyone with a father who is not a citizen of the United States will bring in the foreign influence that the phrase "natural born citizen" was designed to prevent.
    You might want to reconsider after reading this article.

    Looking to the Founders: Determining Citizenship

    It did, however, take a moment to define citizenship for those entering after the ratification of the Constitution. It also gave citizen status to those born overseas — to a father who was a citizen...

    This principle is a bit murky, since law of this time saw a married couple as one legal unit, not two separate individuals.
    https://ivn.us/2015/01/13/looking-fo...g-citizenship/

    As much as you hate Ted Cruz, he is still eligible to run for POTUS.
    Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

  13. #9
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24,186
    Thanks
    3,469
    Thanked 8,688 Times in 6,447 Posts

    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147768
    Quote Originally Posted by The Horn View Post
    Obama's father was a Kenyan .
    and a british national, by virtue of the fact that kenya was a british colony

    So what ? Big deal . Who cares ?
    as GO showed you, the writers of the "natural born citizen" clause of the constitution cared
    The Constitution does not say that you have to have two parents who were US born citizens in order to be eligible to be president .
    no, it says you have to be a "natural born citizen", with the intent that as such you would be free from foreign influence

    The whole birther farce was created because of a few bigoted right-wing extremist idiots who were outraged by a liberal black man running for president and later being elected .
    And millions of idiot American fell for it h look,line and sinker .
    cool story bro

    Trump's mother was born in Scotland, and ironically she was an illegal alien .
    snopes sez yer wrong

    His current wife Melania appears to have been an illegal alien too .
    snopes sez yer wrong on that one too

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

    genuineoriginal (January 16th, 2019),Right Divider (January 16th, 2019)

  15. #10
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    10,284
    Thanks
    1,794
    Thanked 1,769 Times in 1,296 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    523680
    Quote Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior View Post
    You might want to reconsider after reading this article.

    Looking to the Founders: Determining Citizenship

    It did, however, take a moment to define citizenship for those entering after the ratification of the Constitution. It also gave citizen status to those born overseas — to a father who was a citizen...

    This principle is a bit murky, since law of this time saw a married couple as one legal unit, not two separate individuals.
    https://ivn.us/2015/01/13/looking-fo...g-citizenship/

    As much as you hate Ted Cruz, he is still eligible to run for POTUS.
    Are you a liberal?
    You seem to have the same propensity for falsely accusing people of hate as any SJW does.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  16. #11
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24,186
    Thanks
    3,469
    Thanked 8,688 Times in 6,447 Posts

    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147768
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    Are you a liberal?
    You seem to have the same propensity for falsely accusing people of hate as any SJW does.
    i was going to shoo him back to his homo-haven, but decided it would be best just to ignore the troll

  17. #12
    Over 750 post club
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Under the Hill and Over the Hedge
    Posts
    889
    Thanks
    325
    Thanked 450 Times in 322 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    151675
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    The Constitution says that the President must be a natural born citizen.

    No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President;

    The purpose of the clause was expounded upon by Justice Joseph L. Story.

    Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States (1833) BY JOSEPH L. STORY

    Sec. 1473. It is indispensable, too, that the president should be a natural born citizen of the United States; or a citizen at the adoption of the constitution, and for fourteen years before his election. This permission of a naturalized citizen to become president is an exception from the great fundamental policy of all governments, to exclude foreign influence from their executive councils and duties. It was doubtless introduced (for it has now become by lapse of time merely nominal, and will soon become wholly extinct) out of respect to those distinguished revolutionary patriots, who were born in a foreign land, and yet had entitled themselves to high honours in their adopted country. A positive exclusion of them from the office would have been unjust to their merits, and painful to their sensibilities. But the general propriety of the exclusion of foreigners, in common cases, will scarcely be doubted by any sound statesman. It cuts off all chances for ambitious foreigners, who might otherwise be intriguing for the office; and interposes a barrier against those corrupt interferences of foreign governments in executive elections, which have inflicted the most serious evils upon the elective monarchies of Europe. Germany, Poland, and even the pontificate of Rome, are sad, but instructive examples of the enduring mischiefs arising from this source. A residence of fourteen years in the United States is also made an indispensable requisite for every candidate; so, that the people may have a full opportunity to know his character and merits, and that he may have mingled in the duties, and felt the interests, and understood the principles, and nourished the attachments, belonging to every citizen in a republican government. By “residence,” in the constitution, is to be understood, not an absolute inhabitancy within the United States during the whole period; but such an inhabitancy, as includes a permanent domicil in the United States. No one has supposed, that a temporary absence abroad on public business, and especially on an embassy to a foreign nation, would interrupt the residence of a citizen, so as to disqualify him for office. If the word were to be construed with such strictness, then a mere journey through any foreign adjacent territory for health, or for pleasure, or a commorancy there for a single day, would amount to a disqualification. Under such a construction a military or civil officer, who should have been in Canada during the late war on public business, would have lost his eligibility. The true sense of residence in the constitution is fixed domicil, or being out of the United States, and settled abroad for the purpose of general inhabitancy, animo manendi, and not for a mere temporary and fugitive purpose, in transitu.

    Anyone with a father who is not a citizen of the United States will bring in the foreign influence that the phrase "natural born citizen" was designed to prevent.
    You are correct as to the purpose of including the clause but the Constitution nor its writers bother to actually define the term. That was because the term was already defined in the British Common Law and the US Common Law that evolved from it. The term goes all the way back in Common Law case history to Calvin's Case in 1608. The meaning was anyone born "within the jurisdiction of the sovereignty of the King" Under the US Constitution the Supreme Court determined that to mean anyone born subject to the jurisdiction of US laws.

    This definition applies to anyone born on US soil unless their parents are subject to diplomatic immunity. This is the basis of the court's definition of birthright citizenship. This also allows for the natural born citizenship of persons born outside the US of US citizens since their parents are still subject to US law even outside the country.
    "Repubs must not allow [The President] to subvert the Constitution of the US for his own benefit & because he is unable to negotiate w/ Congress," Donald Trump

  18. #13
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24,186
    Thanks
    3,469
    Thanked 8,688 Times in 6,447 Posts

    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147768
    Quote Originally Posted by Kit the Coyote View Post
    You are correct as to the purpose of including the clause but the Constitution nor its writers bother to actually define the term. That was because the term was already defined in the British Common Law and the US Common Law that evolved from it. The term goes all the way back in Common Law case history to Calvin's Case in 1608. The meaning was anyone born "within the jurisdiction of the sovereignty of the King" Under the US Constitution the Supreme Court determined that to mean anyone born subject to the jurisdiction of US laws.

    This definition applies to anyone born on US soil unless their parents are subject to diplomatic immunity. This is the basis of the court's definition of birthright citizenship. This also allows for the natural born citizenship of persons born outside the US of US citizens since their parents are still subject to US law even outside the country.
    the definition of the phrase "natural born citizen" is dependent on case law, and case law is all over the place

    at one extreme, there exists precedent that would define bammy as a "natural born citizen" by virtue of his mother's citizenship, regardless of where he was born

    at the other extreme, there exists precedent that would deny bammy "natural born" citizenship based on his father's citizenship, regardless of where he was born


    "natural born citizen" has always been a non-starter for denying bammy's legitimacy as a presidential candidate

  19. #14
    Over 750 post club
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Under the Hill and Over the Hedge
    Posts
    889
    Thanks
    325
    Thanked 450 Times in 322 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    151675
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    the definition of the phrase "natural born citizen" is dependent on case law, and case law is all over the place

    at one extreme, there exists precedent that would define bammy as a "natural born citizen" by virtue of his mother's citizenship, regardless of where he was born

    at the other extreme, there exists precedent that would deny bammy "natural born" citizenship based on his father's citizenship, regardless of where he was born


    "natural born citizen" has always been a non-starter for denying bammy's legitimacy as a presidential candidate

    Both arguments have been made but the Supreme Court ruled out the latter. Lynch v Clarke ruled that a person born in the US is a citizen regardless of parental citizenship. This was reinforced in US v Wong Kim Ark which said a child born in the US is a US citizen even if BOTH parents are foreign nationals. The case of Perkins v Elg said that a child born in the US but then raised in another country was STILL a natural born US citizen and was eligible to run for President.

    Children born outside the US to parents of mixed citizenship varies depending on the naturalization laws in effect at the time.
    "Repubs must not allow [The President] to subvert the Constitution of the US for his own benefit & because he is unable to negotiate w/ Congress," Donald Trump

  20. #15
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24,186
    Thanks
    3,469
    Thanked 8,688 Times in 6,447 Posts

    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147768
    Quote Originally Posted by Kit the Coyote View Post
    ... is a citizen ...

    "citizen" =/= "natural born citizen"

    nobody denies that bammy was/is a US citizen

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us