User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discouraged from talking with people about religion.

Thanks

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Discouraged from talking with people about religion.

This may be complicated, but where I live I have been discouraged from talking with people about religion. Is there anything that protects my right to share my faith? I feel encumbered and want to know if maybe I am an evangelist. I have this thread in politics because I don't know if this is the government or simply not a religious Jewish or Christian source of suppression.
    Bereishit - Genesis - Chapter 1

1 In the beginning of God's creation of the heavens and the earth.
    :א בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ

In beginning He created God the heavens and the earth

Over 500 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    This may be complicated, but where I live I have been discouraged from talking with people about religion. Is there anything that protects my right to share my faith? I feel encumbered and want to know if maybe I am an evangelist. I have this thread in politics because I don't know if this is the government or simply not a religious Jewish or Christian source of suppression.
    Depends on who is discouraging you. The government cannot suppress religious or speech in general except under narrow circumstances and then only when applied equally. On the other paw, you do not have a right to engage in any speech you want on someone else's private property if they do not want you there.
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken

Thanks

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kit the Coyote View Post
    Depends on who is discouraging you. The government cannot suppress religious or speech in general except under narrow circumstances and then only when applied equally. On the other paw, you do not have a right to engage in any speech you want on someone else's private property if they do not want you there.
    The person in charge with me living here. I have a good relationship with her, but for some reason she felt that she had to tell me that I can't talk about religion with other people who live here. This suppresses me as I share my faith with everyone that I meet. It is unavoidable, whether I am an Evangelist or not.

Over 500 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The person in charge with me living here. I have a good relationship with her, but for some reason she felt that she had to tell me that I can't talk about religion with other people who live here. This suppresses me as I share my faith with everyone that I meet. It is unavoidable, whether I am an Evangelist or not.
    Sounds like a social situation. I think the best approach would be to simply apply the golden rule in relation to those living with you.
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken

Thanks

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kit the Coyote View Post
    Sounds like a social situation. I think the best approach would be to simply apply the golden rule in relation to those living with you.
    Well, thank you for the advice. I hope to share the gospel with people.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,001 Times in 8,992 Posts

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please post another thread, that comes to your mind. Please?
    Saint John W

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know where you live but, through the years Jehovah's Witnesses have been very successful in the courts ensuring the rights of everyone to worship the way they choose. I hope that covers your country also.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Thanks

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by john w View Post
    Please post another thread, that comes to your mind. Please?
    Jacob and john w

From Christianity and the Church to Judaism or government

Thanks

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by woodeneye View Post
    I don't know where you live but, through the years Jehovah's Witnesses have been very successful in the courts ensuring the rights of everyone to worship the way they choose. I hope that covers your country also.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America, where I was born. Are you thinking of Judaism or Christianity? Many people consider Jehovah's Witnesses to be a cult or a Christian cult.

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you're not inciting people to argue, there should be no problem. If you're having an easy discussion without arguing, no one can tell you what you can or cannot say.

Thanks

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by woodeneye View Post
    As long as you're not inciting people to argue, there should be no problem. If you're having an easy discussion without arguing, no one can tell you what you can or cannot say.

I don't always know the best thing to say. I know the gospel, but I want to verbalize it.

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd have to be more specific. Shared living facilities or a work place will generally protect someone's right to privacy over someone's right to free speech.

You can stand outside on a street corner preaching about Jesus or Mohammed and you can knock on a door (where the tenant has the right to invite you in or to say thanks but no thanks and close the door on you), but your right to free speech loses out in a shared living space, where someone will usually be afforded the right to sit and eat their lunch or just sit and do nothing, in peace.

Thanks

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderdog View Post
    You'd have to be more specific. Shared living facilities or a work place will generally protect someone's right to privacy over someone's right to free speech.

You can stand outside on a street corner preaching about Jesus or Mohammed and you can knock on a door (where the tenant has the right to invite you in or to say thanks but no thanks and close the door on you), but your right to free speech loses out in a shared living space, where someone is usually afforded the right to sit and eat their lunch in peace.
    Interesting. I guess I would like to live among believers or share the gospel with those who are not. If I live with people I hope that I can talk to them. Privacy, sure. The power of God unto salvation, yes. It's not free speech. It's the Word of God.

Thanks

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Being protected from outsiders, maybe. But we all live here and we should be allowed or able to talk to each other.

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. I guess I would like to live among believers or share the gospel with those who are not. If I live with people I hope that I can talk to them. Privacy, sure. The power of God unto salvation, yes. It's not free speech. It's the Word of God.
    What it sounds like to me is that someone you'd talked to (or multiple people) didn't want to have a confrontation with you and instead spoke to your someone who worked at the place, saying they didn't want to have you talking about religion with them any more. At that point, the person who worked there had to tell you to settle down with the religious talk. That's reasonable.

Maybe you need to reconsider the way you communicate with people about religion. If you're being asked to stop, it's obviously not working.

Thread Information