User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 120

Thread: NO MORE WORKS

  1. #1
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    170
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 108 Times in 59 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    32561

    NO MORE WORKS

    Romans 11:5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

    11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

    Some say that verse 6 above is saying that at one time, God saved people unto eternal life by their works, but now it is by grace. This is because the verse reads it is " no more of works", therefore, it used to be. I do not hold to this.

    Romans 9:31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.

    9:32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;

    9:33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

    In the verses above, the meaning of "no more of works" can be found. Paul is saying that Israel sought righteousness, not by faith, but by the works of the law. Romans 11:6 is saying, the election of grace is God's determination to save those that believe by faith; faith would be based on the propitiation of Jesus. Israel stumbled at the stumblingstone of Christ. The remnant attained righteousness by faith. This righteousness is by grace, not by works. The remnant did not attain righteousness by the works of the law.

    Paul stated that all of Israel were not children of God by virture of being of the seed of Abraham; Israel is counted as being the children of God thru the promise God gave through Isaac.

    Rebecca had two sons, Jacob and Esau, by Isaac; God elected to chose Jacob to make the covenant.

    Romans 9:11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;)

    Election is God chosing how, and through whom, he will fulfill His purposes. God did not chose Jacob because he did good, and Esau did evil. The election of grace is not dependant on doing good or evil. The election is of grace. The election is not of works.

    That is why Romans 11:6 says that it is "no more of works". The remnant attains righteousness by the election of grace. If the election is by grace, then it is no more of works. Grace has been chosen by God for righteousness. Works have been eliminated as a means of attaining righteousness.

  2. #2
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    133
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    But if we are elected, then we will do His works?

    And he that overcomes, and keeps My works unto the end,
    to him will I give power over the nations:

    Revelation 2:26

    And, behold, I come quickly;
    and My reward is with Me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

    Revelation 22:12

    Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you:
    and, lo, I am with you always,
    even unto the end of the world. Amen.
    Matthew 28:20

    Bless Jesus.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to comingfrom For Your Post:

    meshak (January 7th, 2019)

  4. #3
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    14,517
    Thanks
    4,233
    Thanked 1,919 Times in 1,549 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by comingfrom View Post
    But if we are elected, then we will do His works?

    And he that overcomes, and keeps My works unto the end,
    to him will I give power over the nations:

    Revelation 2:26

    And, behold, I come quickly;
    and My reward is with Me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

    Revelation 22:12

    Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you:
    and, lo, I am with you always,
    even unto the end of the world. Amen.
    Matthew 28:20

    Bless Jesus.
    they skip all simple word of Jesus teachings.

  5. #4
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    133
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Thank you, Meshak.
    they skip all simple word of Jesus teachings.
    Not all.

    I had to do a lot of work [on me], before I could find Jesus.
    I had to change my ways, stop swearing and drinking, and start reading the scripture and praying.
    And scripture gave me so much to learn.
    Like, What is holiness? And righteousness? that the Lord in scripture asks us to be.
    It gave me a lot to work on.

    And then, when the Lord came (Jesus comes), He opened my eyes to the first works.
    Then the real work could begin.
    And His commandments became my delight.
    And His commandments are not grievous.

    ... to cut a long testimony short.
    `Paul

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to comingfrom For Your Post:

    God's Truth (January 7th, 2019),meshak (January 7th, 2019)

  7. #5
    TOL Legend God's Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    39,066
    Thanks
    2,077
    Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,522 Posts

    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DougE View Post
    Romans 11:5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

    11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

    Some say that verse 6 above is saying that at one time, God saved people unto eternal life by their works, but now it is by grace. This is because the verse reads it is " no more of works", therefore, it used to be. I do not hold to this.

    Romans 9:31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.

    9:32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;

    9:33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

    In the verses above, the meaning of "no more of works" can be found. Paul is saying that Israel sought righteousness, not by faith, but by the works of the law. Romans 11:6 is saying, the election of grace is God's determination to save those that believe by faith; faith would be based on the propitiation of Jesus. Israel stumbled at the stumblingstone of Christ. The remnant attained righteousness by faith. This righteousness is by grace, not by works. The remnant did not attain righteousness by the works of the law.

    Paul stated that all of Israel were not children of God by virture of being of the seed of Abraham; Israel is counted as being the children of God thru the promise God gave through Isaac.

    Rebecca had two sons, Jacob and Esau, by Isaac; God elected to chose Jacob to make the covenant.

    Romans 9:11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth

    Election is God chosing how, and through whom, he will fulfill His purposes. God did not chose Jacob because he did good, and Esau did evil. The election of grace is not dependant on doing good or evil. The election is of grace. The election is not of works.

    That is why Romans 11:6 says that it is "no more of works". The remnant attains righteousness by the election of grace. If the election is by grace, then it is no more of works. Grace has been chosen by God for righteousness. Works have been eliminated as a means of attaining righteousness.
    Paul is saying no more of the works of the law that used to clean the people.

    Now only faith that Jesus' blood cleans us of the sins we repent of doing.

    We still have to obey Jesus; we just don't have to get circumcised and sacrifice animals.
    Oh how I love the Word of God!

    Do not just read the word do it.

  8. #6
    Old Timer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    436
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 64 Times in 53 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    15895
    By the New Covenant, one will be judged by faith and faith alone on the judgment day. That's the point Paul was trying to make.

    However, whether one's faith is the faith specified by the New Covenant can only be witnessed by the works. That's why faith without works is dead.

    There are those whose deeds or works may not be well witnessed, including the handicapped or those died right after the conversion such as the thief on the cross. The judgment by Covenant is all up to Jesus. He can judge by what's in human hearts, thus He will give everyone a fair judgement even under the special circumstances that a person's deeds or works cannot be witnessed.

  9. #7
    TOL Legend God's Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    39,066
    Thanks
    2,077
    Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,522 Posts

    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Faith alone is dead and cannot save anyone, see James.

    We have to have faith and do something! Even the demons believe and do something. How much more are we than demons.

    Even the thief did what we are told to do.

    The thief on the cross humbled himself, feared God, believed in Jesus, admitted his sins, repented of his sins, confessed Jesus in front of others, and called on Jesus and showed that he will wait for the Lord.
    Oh how I love the Word of God!

    Do not just read the word do it.

  10. #8
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    133
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Thank you, DougE.

    Paul is saying no more of the works of the law that used to clean the people.
    I don't believe this.

    I believe St Paul was saying to believe in Jesus, and to keep all God's words.
    If your faith isn't in the word, then what is it in?
    Carnal blood?

    Now only faith that Jesus' blood cleans us of the sins we repent of doing.
    Jesus is the word of God,
    so the word is Jesus' flesh and blood.
    God's word is what we must eat and drink, for life.

    We still have to obey Jesus; we just don't have to get circumcised and sacrifice animals.
    Again, Jesus the man was the word come in the flesh.
    The living spirit Jesus is still God's word.

    So circumcise your heart, and be no more stiffnecked.
    And bring your bullocks to the Lord, which you now bring before men.

    If you can offer them up for us, why not offer them up to the Lord?

    To the end that the children of Israel may bring their sacrifices, which they offer in the open field,
    even that they may bring them unto the LORD, unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation,
    unto the Priest, and offer them for peace offerings unto the LORD.

    Leviticus 17:5

  11. #9
    TOL Legend God's Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    39,066
    Thanks
    2,077
    Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,522 Posts

    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by comingfrom View Post
    Thank you, DougE.


    I don't believe this.

    I believe St Paul was saying to believe in Jesus, and to keep all God's words.
    If your faith isn't in the word, then what is it in?
    Carnal blood?



    Jesus is the word of God,
    so the word is Jesus' flesh and blood.
    God's word is what we must eat and drink, for life.


    Again, Jesus the man was the word come in the flesh.
    The living spirit Jesus is still God's word.

    So circumcise your heart, and be no more stiffnecked.
    And bring your bullocks to the Lord, which you now bring before men.

    If you can offer them up for us, why not offer them up to the Lord?

    To the end that the children of Israel may bring their sacrifices, which they offer in the open field,
    even that they may bring them unto the LORD, unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation,
    unto the Priest, and offer them for peace offerings unto the LORD.

    Leviticus 17:5
    You are wrong. We are not to sacrifice animals to God. Jesus is the Sacrificial Lamb of God once and for all.

    P.S. I am not DougE.
    Last edited by God's Truth; January 7th, 2019 at 09:33 PM.
    Oh how I love the Word of God!

    Do not just read the word do it.

  12. #10
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    170
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 108 Times in 59 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    32561
    In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace; Ephesians 1:7

    We have forgiveness of all sin; not just sin we repent of.

    We should repent of sin because we are dead in Christ, and should live unto Him; and because we have forgiveness.

  13. #11
    Over 5000 post club
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,685
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 467 Times in 428 Posts

    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    3676
    Quote Originally Posted by DougE View Post
    Romans 11:5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

    11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

    Some say that verse 6 above is saying that at one time, God saved people unto eternal life by their works, but now it is by grace. This is because the verse reads it is " no more of works", therefore, it used to be. I do not hold to this.

    Romans 9:31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.

    9:32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;

    9:33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

    In the verses above, the meaning of "no more of works" can be found. Paul is saying that Israel sought righteousness, not by faith, but by the works of the law. Romans 11:6 is saying, the election of grace is God's determination to save those that believe by faith; faith would be based on the propitiation of Jesus. Israel stumbled at the stumblingstone of Christ. The remnant attained righteousness by faith. This righteousness is by grace, not by works. The remnant did not attain righteousness by the works of the law.

    Paul stated that all of Israel were not children of God by virture of being of the seed of Abraham; Israel is counted as being the children of God thru the promise God gave through Isaac.

    Rebecca had two sons, Jacob and Esau, by Isaac; God elected to chose Jacob to make the covenant.

    Romans 9:11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth

    Election is God chosing how, and through whom, he will fulfill His purposes. God did not chose Jacob because he did good, and Esau did evil. The election of grace is not dependant on doing good or evil. The election is of grace. The election is not of works.

    That is why Romans 11:6 says that it is "no more of works". The remnant attains righteousness by the election of grace. If the election is by grace, then it is no more of works. Grace has been chosen by God for righteousness. Works have been eliminated as a means of attaining righteousness.
    Through out the OT it was never salvation by works...by FAITH...read Hebrews 11

    The Hebrews were in fact saved not for what they did but for His covenant with their forefather Abraham...

    They were saved by faith first...and THEN given the Law and works to do BECAUSE THEY WERE SAVED

    That passover night they had faith first then obeyed a command to put blood on their doors...not one hebrew was asked if they were obedient to the laws they were not yet given...but by faith they were saved first and then given the laws...

    If there are no more works or just works for special elect how come Acts 15 the crowding goyim were given 4 things to do in order to merely fellowship with the jews in the synagogue...

    3 of these 4 were dietary laws already required of goyim even in the OT...

    James concludes these goyim would then continue to hear the Law as Moses would continue to be read every Sabbath in every city...so these goyim would continue to hear what His people did...

    And so the goyim were grafted INTO Israel and thus did as Israel does...JUST LIKE IN THE OT when it was ONE LAW for both native and goyim alike...in that church in the wilderness...

    Faith first and then works...is not dead...If you love me...keep my commandments...

    Here are they that keep the commandments of Yah and the faith OF Yahushua...

    What faith did Yahushua have Buddhism? Muslim?...

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to clefty For Your Post:

    Lazy afternoon (January 9th, 2019)

  15. #12
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    133
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    You are wrong. We are not to sacrifice animals to God. Jesus is the Sacrificial Lamb of God once and for all.
    I never said to sacrifice animals to God.
    But I believe we must offer our self up a suckling lamb (as Jesus did).
    And we should bring Him our bullocks.

    Else, how shall God impute His righteousness?

    The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit:
    a broken and a contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise.

    Psalm 51:17

    I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God,
    that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God,
    which is your reasonable service.

    Romans 12:1

    As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:
    If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.

    1 Peter 2:2-3

    Praise Jesus.

  16. #13
    TOL Legend God's Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    39,066
    Thanks
    2,077
    Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,522 Posts

    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by comingfrom View Post
    I never said to sacrifice animals to God.
    But I believe we must offer our self up a suckling lamb (as Jesus did).
    And we should bring Him our bullocks.

    Else, how shall God impute His righteousness?

    The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit:
    a broken and a contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise.

    Psalm 51:17

    I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God,
    that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God,
    which is your reasonable service.

    Romans 12:1

    As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:
    If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.

    1 Peter 2:2-3

    Praise Jesus.
    You are the one who went against me for saying we don't have to clean ourselves by doing the old purification works of the law.
    Oh how I love the Word of God!

    Do not just read the word do it.

  17. #14
    TOL Legend God's Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    39,066
    Thanks
    2,077
    Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,522 Posts

    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Paul is saying no more of the works of the law that used to clean the people.

    Quote Originally Posted by comingfrom View Post
    I don't believe this.

    You said you don't believe it when I said Paul said no more works of the law that used to clean the people.
    Oh how I love the Word of God!

    Do not just read the word do it.

  18. #15
    TOL Legend God's Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    39,066
    Thanks
    2,077
    Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,522 Posts

    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by clefty View Post
    Through out the OT it was never salvation by works...by FAITH...read Hebrews 11
    The old law was NOT based on faith.

    Galatians 3:12 The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, it says, "The person who does these things will live by them."

    Quote Originally Posted by clefty View Post
    The Hebrews were in fact saved not for what they did but for His covenant with their forefather Abraham...
    Abraham had to get circumcised in the flesh.

    The covenant that would be based on faith and not on circumcision was a promise for the future.

    Quote Originally Posted by clefty View Post

    They were saved by faith first...and THEN given the Law and works to do BECAUSE THEY WERE SAVED

    That passover night they had faith first then obeyed a command to put blood on their doors...not one hebrew was asked if they were obedient to the laws they were not yet given...but by faith they were saved first and then given the laws...
    They all died in the desert and did NOT get to see the promised land because they did not obey.


    Joshua 5:6 The Israelites had moved about in the wilderness forty years until all the men who were of military age when they left Egypt had died, since they had not obeyed the LORD. For the LORD had sworn to them that they would not see the land he had solemnly promised their ancestors to give us, a land flowing with milk and honey.


    Quote Originally Posted by clefty View Post
    If there are no more works or just works for special elect how come Acts 15 the crowding goyim were given 4 things to do in order to merely fellowship with the jews in the synagogue...

    3 of these 4 were dietary laws already required of goyim even in the OT...
    Jesus told his disciples to do what the Pharisees and teachers of the law said because they sat in Moses seat. The temple was still standing and the Pharisees enforced the law.

    Matthew 23:1 Then Jesus spoke to the crowds and to His disciples: 2“The scribes and Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. 3 So practice and observe everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach


    Quote Originally Posted by clefty View Post

    James concludes these goyim would then continue to hear the Law as Moses would continue to be read every Sabbath in every city...so these goyim would continue to hear what His people did...

    And so the goyim were grafted INTO Israel and thus did as Israel does...JUST LIKE IN THE OT when it was ONE LAW for both native and goyim alike...in that church in the wilderness...
    No uncircumcised person could go to the temple.


    Quote Originally Posted by clefty View Post

    Faith first and then works...is not dead...If you love me...keep my commandments...
    Faith alone is dead and is never the most important faith ever known, it is dead.
    Oh how I love the Word of God!

    Do not just read the word do it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us