User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 49

Thread: The Persecuted Church

  1. #16
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    14,625
    Thanks
    4,317
    Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,558 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    True. But can a man protect himself or his family from harm?
    Live one day at a time.

    Not to worry about tomorrow.

    why so worry?

  2. #17
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington
    Posts
    18,785
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked 947 Times in 871 Posts

    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by meshak View Post
    Live one day at a time.

    Not to worry about tomorrow.

    why so worry?
    There is no need to feel or be worried, but I have faults and I want to understand my role in life as a man.

  3. #18
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    14,625
    Thanks
    4,317
    Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,558 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    There is no need to feel or be worried, but I have faults and I want to understand my role in life as a man.
    You ought to change that to "as a servant of God", instead of as a man.

  4. #19
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington
    Posts
    18,785
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked 947 Times in 871 Posts

    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by meshak View Post
    You ought to change that to "as a servant of God", instead of as a man.
    That is good, but I have never been a married person much less a married woman.

    I am a servant of God, but I must as a man live my life as a man.

  5. #20
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    14,625
    Thanks
    4,317
    Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,558 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    That is good, but I have never been a married person much less a married woman.

    I am a servant of God, but I must as a man live my life as a man.

    Why do you dwell on a gender difference?

  6. #21
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington
    Posts
    18,785
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked 947 Times in 871 Posts

    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by meshak View Post
    Why do you dwell on a gender difference?
    Because a man ought to learn how to be a man from God, Jesus, a man. Not from a woman, unless a woman can teach me to be a man, a woman such as my Mom. I suppose I believe that it is possible Biblically for a man to teach a woman.

  7. #22
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    It sounds like you are saying we can have victory for God but without lifting a finger against anyone.
    Thank you, Jacob,
    but judge not by sounds like, but judge righteous judgment.

    I said, if we keep all God's commandments.
    You have to lift your finger to turn the pages of your Bible, just to learn what His commandments are.
    Don't we?

    And then we learn that we must lift up much more than our finger.
    Isn't it so?

    And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
    That whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.

    John 3:14-15

    The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

  8. #23
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington
    Posts
    18,785
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked 947 Times in 871 Posts

    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by comingfrom View Post
    Thank you, Jacob,
    but judge not by sounds like, but judge righteous judgment.

    I said, if we keep all God's commandments.
    You have to lift your finger to turn the pages of your Bible, just to learn what His commandments are.
    Don't we?

    And then we learn that we must lift up much more than our finger.
    Isn't it so?

    And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
    That whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.

    John 3:14-15

    The kingdom of heaven is at hand.
    I do not know how you are looking at lifting a finger, but to help is different from violence or self defense.

  9. #24
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    I do not know how you are looking at lifting a finger, but to help is different from violence or self defense.
    Thank you, Jacob.
    When you said lifting a finger, the following passage came to mind.

    Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to His disciples,
    Saying,
    The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
    All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do;
    but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.
    For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders;
    but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.

    Matthew 23:1-4

    If the Churches don't persecute you, then know you're on the wrong path.

    But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another:
    for verily I say unto you,
    Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.

    Matthew 10:23

  10. #25
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington
    Posts
    18,785
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked 947 Times in 871 Posts

    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by comingfrom View Post
    Thank you, Jacob.
    When you said lifting a finger, the following passage came to mind.

    Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to His disciples,
    Saying,
    The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
    All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do;
    but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.
    For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders;
    but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.

    Matthew 23:1-4

    If the Churches don't persecute you, then know you're on the wrong path.

    But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another:
    for verily I say unto you,
    Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.

    Matthew 10:23
    Churches are not supposed to persecute anyone.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jacob For Your Post:

    meshak (January 8th, 2019)

  12. #26
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Churches are not supposed to persecute anyone.
    But beware of men:
    for they will deliver you up to the councils,
    and they will scourge you in their synagogues;

    Matthew 10:17

  13. #27
    Over 2000 post club nikolai_42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,011
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 915 Times in 581 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    424478
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    What do we know about those who are being persecuted for the cause of Christ? People die for what they believe, without raising a finger, while I live in the United States of America and ask questions about if I can defend myself. When no one is even coming after me.
    The Christian church in China is probably larger and more vital than most other countries. Certainly more alive than what passes for the church in North America. There has always been persecution there - but it is intensifying again after a period of relative quiet. This is just what Forbes has written about it recently :

    Chinese Christians Face Intensifying Persecution Ahead Of Christmas

    Here is what was written in the Christian Post several months ago :

    The Brutal Truth About Persecution of Christians in China

    It says that the easing of persecution was to make the Christian church in China more visible so they could keep closer tabs on believers. And so, starting in 2017, persecution was increased again significantly.
    If God promises life, He slayeth first; when He builds, He casteth all down first. God is no patcher; He cannot build on another's foundation. - William Tyndale

    The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

    Who is among you that feareth the Lord, that obeyeth the voice of his servant, that walketh in darkness, and hath no light? let him trust in the name of the Lord, and stay upon his God.
    Behold, all ye that kindle a fire, that compass yourselves about with sparks: walk in the light of your fire, and in the sparks that ye have kindled. This shall ye have of mine hand; ye shall lie down in sorrow.

    Isaiah 50:10-11

  14. #28
    Journeyman binyamin7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    161
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    True. But can a man protect himself or his family from harm?
    Absolutely if you are in a country that allows for legal self defense, Romans 13 would extend throughout the citizenry of the US for example. A citizen can act as an officer of the law in the US if we witness any life threatening situations. We should always love people enough to make taking a life a last resort though.

  15. #29
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington
    Posts
    18,785
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked 947 Times in 871 Posts

    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by comingfrom View Post
    But beware of men:
    for they will deliver you up to the councils,
    and they will scourge you in their synagogues;

    Matthew 10:17
    No one is supposed to persecute anyone.

  16. #30
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington
    Posts
    18,785
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked 947 Times in 871 Posts

    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nikolai_42 View Post
    The Christian church in China is probably larger and more vital than most other countries. Certainly more alive than what passes for the church in North America. There has always been persecution there - but it is intensifying again after a period of relative quiet. This is just what Forbes has written about it recently :

    Chinese Christians Face Intensifying Persecution Ahead Of Christmas

    Here is what was written in the Christian Post several months ago :

    The Brutal Truth About Persecution of Christians in China

    It says that the easing of persecution was to make the Christian church in China more visible so they could keep closer tabs on believers. And so, starting in 2017, persecution was increased again significantly.
    This is sad, and I don't celebrate Christmas.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us