User Tag List

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 269

Thread: Does God Decieve?

  1. #196
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by comingfrom View Post
    For thou, O God, hast proved us:
    Thou hast tried us, as silver is tried.

    Psalm 66:10
    I know that's what the scripture says but, a more correct translation might be, as silver is refined. Today, if you used the phrase " at my job, we try silver ", not too many people would understand your meaning. If you said " we refine silver ", it takes on a different meaning. This doesn't mean that we are changing the Bible. We are simply reading it the way we talk today.


    Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

  2. #197
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    I know that's what the scripture says but, a more correct translation might be, as silver is refined. Today, if you used the phrase " at my job, we try silver ", not too many people would understand your meaning. If you said " we refine silver ", it takes on a different meaning. This doesn't mean that we are changing the Bible. We are simply reading it the way we talk today.
    Thank you.

    And He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver:
    and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver,
    that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness.
    Then shall the offering of Judah and Jerusalem be pleasant unto the LORD,
    as in the days of old,
    and as in former years.

    Malachi 3:3-4

  3. #198
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Divider View Post
    The "us" there does not include you.
    Thank you.

    And thou shalt remember all the way which the LORD thy God led thee these forty years in the wilderness,
    to humble thee,
    and to prove thee,
    to know what was in thine heart,
    whether thou would keep His commandments, or no.

    Deuteronomy 8:2

  4. #199
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    26,026
    Thanks
    4,447
    Thanked 10,048 Times in 7,490 Posts

    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147792
    Quote Originally Posted by woodeneye View Post
    Today, if you used the phrase " at my job, we try silver ", not too many people would understand your meaning.

    readers of Melville would

  5. #200
    Over 750 post club 7djengo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    931
    Thanks
    849
    Thanked 739 Times in 462 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    57863
    Quote Originally Posted by 6days View Post
    No, I don't think God decieves, but I'm not sure why He sends delusion to those who already have rejected Him.
    Thess. 2:12 “God sends them a strong delusion, so that they may believe what is false”
    For the consideration of anybody who claims that God has deceived/does deceive people:

    By "deceive", do you mean "cause someone to believe falsehood"?

    Is that what you mean, when you say that God deceives people; that God is causing them to believe falsehood?

    Could you give some examples of specific falsehoods you'd say God has caused people to believe?

  6. #201
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    readers of Melville would
    Possibly. However, in everyday language, people don't converse the way the King James Bible is written. Is it wrong to translate the Scriptures into the way we speak today? The original King James Version was translated into the language of his day, the New King James Version was revised in language that can be easier understood than the original. The New World Translation that Jehovah's Witnesses use primarily, is not a revision of an existing translation but, an actual translation from the languages that were spoken at the time God first inspired the Bible to be written.

    Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

  7. #202
    Body part Right Divider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    15,893
    Thanks
    14,455
    Thanked 21,873 Times in 12,380 Posts

    Blog Entries
    7
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147713

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by woodeneye View Post
    Possibly. However, in everyday language, people don't converse the way the King James Bible is written. Is it wrong to translate the Scriptures into the way we speak today? The original King James Version was translated into the language of his day, the New King James Version was revised in language that can be easier understood than the original. The New World Translation that Jehovah's Witnesses use primarily, is not a revision of an existing translation but, an actual translation from the languages that were spoken at the time God first inspired the Bible to be written.
    That is some laughable stuff there.

    The NWT is not a translation at all. It is a mistranslation based on the false doctrines of the JW cult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    That explains why your an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
    Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

    1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
    (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

    Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

  8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Right Divider For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (January 12th, 2019),ok doser (January 12th, 2019),steko (January 13th, 2019),Tambora (January 31st, 2019),way 2 go (January 12th, 2019)

  9. #203
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Divider View Post
    That is some laughable stuff there.

    The NWT is not a translation at all. It is a mistranslation based on the false doctrines of the JW cult.
    Have you ever used it to compare with any other Bible? I have and nearly every scripture is comparable, yet you insist the NWT is a mistranslation. That would mean that every translation that is comparable is a mistranslation! Are you sure you want to go down that road? If so, put your scriptures where your mouth is.

    Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

  10. #204
    Body part Right Divider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    15,893
    Thanks
    14,455
    Thanked 21,873 Times in 12,380 Posts

    Blog Entries
    7
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147713

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by woodeneye View Post
    Have you ever used it to compare with any other Bible? I have and nearly every scripture is comparable, yet you insist the NWT is a mistranslation. That would mean that every translation that is comparable is a mistranslation! Are you sure you want to go down that road? If so, put your scriptures where your mouth is.
    I have compared and found that the "translators" ADDED words that are NOT in the original to force their bogus doctrines into the text.

    You're not fooling anyone here. We weren't born yesterday.

    [Like adding the word OTHER FOUR TIMES in Col 1:15-17]
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    That explains why your an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
    Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

    1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
    (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

    Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

  11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Right Divider For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (January 13th, 2019),ok doser (January 13th, 2019),steko (January 13th, 2019),Tambora (January 31st, 2019)

  12. #205
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    It reminds me of God hardening an already hard heart.

    2 Thess. 2:9-12 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, 10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: 12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

    Paul says the same here. These are people who already have a seared conscience...having rejected the truth beyond remedy.

    1 Timothy 4:1-3
    4 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; 2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; 3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

    Personally, I believe these are folks like the Jehovah Witnesses. They are so deluded by the cult they have bought into that they can no longer see truth when it is presented to them. They are recruiting heavily in these latter days, and we'll see this more and more....a great falling away from the hope of the Gospel. Having heard, they reject it for their own chosen delusion.
    Actually, it's much simpler than that. People can see for themselves the hypocrisy in most religions and want to know the truth of the Bible. So they turn to Jehovah's Witnesses for straight answers to their questions. No smoke and mirrors, no slight of hand, no unexplainable mysteries, just simple Bible truths.

    Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

  13. #206
    Body part Right Divider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    15,893
    Thanks
    14,455
    Thanked 21,873 Times in 12,380 Posts

    Blog Entries
    7
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147713

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by woodeneye View Post
    Actually, it's much simpler than that. People can see for themselves the hypocrisy in most religions and want to know the truth of the Bible. So they turn to Jehovah's Witnesses for straight answers to their questions. No smoke and mirrors, no slight of hand, no unexplainable mysteries, just simple Bible truths.
    That is as hilarious as it is untrue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    That explains why your an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
    Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

    1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
    (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

    Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

  14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Right Divider For Your Post:

    glorydaz (January 13th, 2019),JudgeRightly (January 13th, 2019),ok doser (January 13th, 2019),steko (January 13th, 2019),Tambora (January 31st, 2019)

  15. #207
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Brain View Post
    I work with a JW who is a home carer and is one of the most compassionate, unassuming, empathic people I've met in my life. She doesn't celebrate Christmas as that's not part of the faith as I understand but she bought every person in the place presents with no want in return and is generous to a fault. She's highly regarded among staff and clients alike because of her caring attitude towards people. Something a lot of so called "righteous Christians" could do well to emulate. A lot around here sound like Musterion's rancid signature...
    Thank you for at least admitting that Jehovah's Witnesses can be and are, loving, kind and compassionate people. If we, as an organization, were what people say we are, it would be obvious by now, because lies and liars eventually expose themselves. We care enough about people whom we've never met to expose religion for the lies they tell, just as Jesus, gave his life for people he never met to offer them a way out of false religion's clutches and give them salvation for their sins.

    Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

  16. #208
    TOL Subscriber glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    25,588
    Thanks
    16,942
    Thanked 40,135 Times in 20,063 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147832
    Quote Originally Posted by woodeneye View Post
    Thank you for at least admitting that Jehovah's Witnesses can be and are, loving, kind and compassionate people. If we, as an organization, were what people say we are, it would be obvious by now, because lies and liars eventually expose themselves. We care enough about people whom we've never met to expose religion for the lies they tell, just as Jesus, gave his life for people he never met to offer them a way out of false religion's clutches and give them salvation for their sins.

    Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
    Just get those aside who have escaped your cult, and you'll hear the other side of that story. Drunken over-bearing men who play the big shots in the Kingdom Hall, and then show their true colors at home. You can't keep these things under wraps...no matter how hard you try.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (January 13th, 2019),Tambora (January 31st, 2019)

  18. #209
    Super Moderator JudgeRightly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    On the road
    Posts
    10,051
    Thanks
    34,074
    Thanked 8,578 Times in 5,504 Posts

    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147638
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    Just get those aside who have escaped your cult, and you'll hear the other side of that story. Drunken over-bearing men who play the big shots in the Kingdom Hall, and then show their true colors at home. You can't keep these things under wraps...no matter how hard you try.
    All on has to do is look up undercover kingdom hall videos on YouTube to see the covered up problems...

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to JudgeRightly For Your Post:

    glorydaz (January 13th, 2019)

  20. #210
    TOL Subscriber glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    25,588
    Thanks
    16,942
    Thanked 40,135 Times in 20,063 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147832
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeRightly View Post
    All on has to do is look up undercover kingdom hall videos on YouTube to see the covered up problems...
    Haha...why am I not surprised? You just can't keep that stuff hidden.

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (January 13th, 2019),Tambora (January 31st, 2019)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us