User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
Results 76 to 81 of 81

Thread: We need more law keepers.

  1. #76
    Over 3000 post club
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,420
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1,634 Times in 1,216 Posts

    Blog Entries
    12
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    354238
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Very good. Very well. Thank you for sharing. I think that it is important to keep the law. This may be difference from a discussion of what would be treason or treasonous. Have you thought about God's Law or are you referring to the law or laws of nations or governments and societies?
    The problem is that virtually all civilizations and their leaders have asserted throughout history that they were placed there by God to rule in His Name!

    The British monarchy, which was also the head of the Anglican Church, claimed to represent God on earth, and therefore any attempt by colonists to challenge its powers was a blasphemous attempt to undermine the ordering of society ordained by God!

    We can be critical of those beliefs from a 21stC perspective, but such ideas were strongly held until challenged by those who were running the risk of being denounced as heretics!

  2. #77
    Over 3000 post club
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,420
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1,634 Times in 1,216 Posts

    Blog Entries
    12
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    354238
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    I believe that it is important not to read something that is not there.

    Also, I thought the temple was destroyed about 70AD.
    I took courses from a Baptist Seminary which provided the background for issues of which most Christians would not be knowledgeable!

  3. #78
    TOL Legend Jacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington
    Posts
    17,591
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 826 Times in 761 Posts

    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    121116
    Quote Originally Posted by jgarden View Post
    The problem is that virtually all civilizations and their leaders have asserted throughout history that they were placed there by God to rule in His Name!

    The British monarchy, which was also the head of the Anglican Church, claimed to represent God on earth, and therefore any attempt to challenge its power was a blasphemous attempt to undermine the ordering of society ordained by God!

    We can be critical of those beliefs from a 21stC perspective, but such ideas were strongly held until challenged by those who were running the risk of being denounced as heretics!
    I believe that you are presenting something for me or the reader to see but on the back or on the wings of the United States having declared its independence. Is there something that I am missing? Please share what you want to. How does it relate to the OP (opening post)? You have spoken of the British Monarchy, the Anglican Church, and the risk of being denounced as heretics.
    Bereishit - Genesis - Chapter 1

    1 In the beginning of God's creation of the heavens and the earth.
    :א בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ

    In beginning He created God the heavens and the earth

  4. #79
    TOL Legend Jacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington
    Posts
    17,591
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 826 Times in 761 Posts

    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    121116
    Quote Originally Posted by jgarden View Post
    I took courses from a Baptist Seminary which provided the background for issues of which most Christians would not be knowledgeable!
    Okay. Well that is interesting. Are you saying that since it was in the 70s a date of 79 makes sense?
    Bereishit - Genesis - Chapter 1

    1 In the beginning of God's creation of the heavens and the earth.
    :א בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ

    In beginning He created God the heavens and the earth

  5. #80
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Okay. Well that is interesting. Are you saying that since it was in the 70s a date of 79 makes sense?
    I've never set foot in a seminary of any kind, but I can hold my own in any conversation about the Bible. No where in the Bible does it say that a Christian must have a special education to become approved by God. Jesus's apostles were considered unfettered and ordinary, so there's no reason we should be any different. All that's required is to follow Jesus' lead and preach as he did.

    Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

  6. #81
    TOL Legend Jacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington
    Posts
    17,591
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 826 Times in 761 Posts

    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    121116
    Quote Originally Posted by woodeneye View Post
    I've never set foot in a seminary of any kind, but I can hold my own in any conversation about the Bible. No where in the Bible does it say that a Christian must have a special education to become approved by God. Jesus's apostles were considered unfettered and ordinary, so there's no reason we should be any different. All that's required is to follow Jesus' lead and preach as he did.

    Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
    Okay. Is it possible to preach as Jesus did? How so?

    I have been to Bible School, but it was personal not for a certification or anything.
    Bereishit - Genesis - Chapter 1

    1 In the beginning of God's creation of the heavens and the earth.
    :א בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ

    In beginning He created God the heavens and the earth

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us