toldailytopic: At what point is a revolution justified? (what is the moral criteria)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 16th, 2010 09:50 AM

toldailytopic: At what point is a revolution justified? (what is the moral criteria)

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

elohiym

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I think the proper question is, "at what point would a revolution have been justified?"

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
This question's occupied me for quite a while. Not because I'm of a particularly revolutionary bent or anything but because the question boggles me and I just can't stand that.

The single point that throws this question out of whack for any democratic form of government is, of course, the vote. I would think before the question could even become relevant one's vote would have to be rendered impotent.

Am I correct in saying that as long as we have an effectual vote and thus a peaceful means of control over our own government then violent revolution of any sort is not an acceptable option? In fact, I'd say any other kind of revolution that you could think up that doesn't utilize the vote is as well.

Newman

This question's occupied me for quite a while. Not because I'm of a particularly revolutionary bent or anything but because the question boggles me and I just can't stand that.

The single point that throws this question out of whack for any democratic form of government is, of course, the vote. I would think before the question could even become relevant one's vote would have to be rendered impotent.

Am I correct in saying that as long as we have an effectual vote and thus a peaceful means of control over our own government then violent revolution of any sort is not an acceptable option? In fact, I'd say any other kind of revolution that you could think up that doesn't utilize the vote is as well.

Why so much faith in democracy? A democracy can become just as tyrranical, immoral, and unjust as any totalitarian regime.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Why so much faith in democracy? A democracy can become just as tyrranical, immoral, and unjust as any totalitarian regime.
I don't think you're comprehending. Where have I expressed any faith in democracy at all? I'm pointing out that as long as the people can exercise control over their government peacefully there's no justification for armed rebellion. If you can establish that control has been lost then you can begin to justify it. I haven't addressed the worth of democracy as a form of government at all.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When you are mad as hell and not going to take it anymore!

Um.... what she said!!..... er not....er....well maybe..... um....

Nevermind. :noid:

If we're talking about revolutionary force, I used to believe that we must lead non-violent revolutions. However, in light of how immoral our world is, just performing sit-ins won't change anything anymore - people are simply too preoccupied with their iPhones and Starbucks. Honestly, unless our entire military were on our side, we probably can not lead a successful coup in the US. Gone are the days when Washington was able to lead a small Continental Army around the countryside...

If we're just talking about political revolution, then I think the results speak for themselves. When has this ever worked?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
At what point is a revolution justified? (what is the moral criteria)

:think:

In this country, so long as we have the ability to organize according to, speak and vote our conscience, there is no justification for usurping the authority of Caesar.

Else, we are saying that might makes right and the good is insufficient in itself to turn men toward better practice.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
At what point is a revolution justified? (what is the moral criteria)

:think:

In this country, so long as we have the ability to organize according to, speak and vote our conscience, there is no justification for usurping the authority of Caesar.

Else, we are saying that might makes right and the good is insufficient in itself to turn men toward better practice.

So you agree with the Beatles.:guitar:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Um.... what she said!!..... er not....er....well maybe..... um....

Nevermind. :noid:
:wazzup:
Did you ever have to make up your mind
Pick up on one and leave the other behind
It's not often easy and not often kind
Did you ever have to make up your mind

Did you ever have to finally decide
Say yes to one and let the other one ride
There's so many changes and tears you must hide
Did you ever have to finally decide

Trumpetfolker

Dear Knight,

Dear Knight,

Revolution can come in different forms.
Jesus commanded economic revolution chosen by each man who believes in Him.
Lk 12:32 Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
33 Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.
34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
35 Let your loins be girded about, and your lights burning;
36 And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately.
Jesus ordered His apostles to teach this command to all nations.
Mt 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Until Christians have committed themselves to personal economic revolution (repentance), they have no right at all to bloody uprising.
Imagine what would happen if 500,000 HOUSE FOR SALE signs were put up by Christians in Dallas Co. or Denver Co. As soon as the secular government does the math of their law-abiding, tax-paying, labor-producing people giving up their houses in a depressed housing market being replaced with people taking advantage of the MUCH lower cost of housing, they will be coming to Christian leadership asking, "What must we do to be saved?" (not spiritually, but economically).
When the Christians say, "We can't afford to let sexual perverts or their children have access to our children", they will change things.
When the Christians say, "We can't afford to have sexual promiscuity taght to our kids", or abortion, or Darwinism, the secular government WILL make the necessary changes.
When Christians say, "We can't afford to feed people who won't work- including the rich people", the secular government will stop their welfare programs for the rich and the lazy.
When Christians say, "We can't afford to support the people that government is supposed to put to the sword", the government will stop keeping murderers alive in prison.
When Christians say, "We can't afford to keep feeding inflation by going to the money lenders for loans to buy things we don't absolutely need", the secular government will cut their spending.
Remember. To the world, money is the ONLY necessity. When we attack the love of money the way Jesus taught us, the money worshipers will hate us. They will be enraged as they see that their time is short. Nevertheless, we can take control without picking up the sword of the flesh.
And, God will soon crush Satan underneath your feet.
Ro 16:19 For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.
20 And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.

Status
Not open for further replies.