Another Evidence that Jesus Was a Married Man.

Ben Masada

Another Evidence That Jesus Was a Married Man - I Timothy 3:2

A Bishop, Teacher, Deacon aka a Rabbi MUST be blameless and the husband of one wife. He shall be able to rule his own house and keep his children in submission, for if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of his church?

A Bishop aka a Rabbi or Teacher MUST be the husband of one wife. Nicodemus, a famous Pharisee went once to Jesus and said, "Rabbi, we know that you are a Teacher." (John 3:2) So, Jesus was a Rabbi and Teacher akin to the position of a Bishop. Hence according to Paul, it was a MUST that a Rabbi, Teacher or Bishop be the husband of one wife. If not by any other reason, to keep himself blameless of any unnecessary temptation.

According to Paul, a syllogism is built to illustrate the facts above:
1. First premise: A Teacher must be married;
2. Second premise: Jesus was a Teacher;
3. Resultant premise: Therefore, Jesus was married.

As Paul never married he must have made of himself the exception to the above syllogism because he was of the kind to teach: "Do as I say but not as I do because I am a sinner too."(Rom. 7:25)

This Charming Manc

But we know Paul wasn't. the clear understanding of it within context and time was that a deacon should not have more than one wife.

Ben Masada

Another Evidence that Jesus was a Married Man.

You are assuming what is true for the audience of these letters Paul wrote has to be applied to Jesus. What was the purpose of Paul wanting someone to be married to one wife? Also, is this not implying that he prefers if they do not have more than one wife, not the other way around? Are you sure the intent is to say "You must be married" instead of "You shouldn't have several wives"?

Paul in this case would be excused. I find Paul to full of humility. Someone who is humbling himself more than most. All of his letters are proof of his passion for the well being of others.

Really! In the city of Antioch where he lived with another bachelor also Hellenist called Barnabas were expelled by the honorable women of the place because Paul and his friend were teaching the young folks not to get married and remain as they were free of women. The ladies with daughters in the expectation to find a man to get married got so upset with the two that they forced them out of Antioch. (Acts 13:50) (I Cor. 7:1,7,8)

Ben Masada

But we know Paul wasn't. the clear understanding of it within context and time was that a deacon should not have more than one wife.

On the other hand, Paul would almost shout to the whole world that he did not have any woman. Perhaps, he was also proud to have a boyfriend whom he lived with, aka Barnabas a Hellenist bachelor like Paul. (Acts 9:26,27; 13:50)

Last edited:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
On the other hand, Paul would almost shout to the whole world that he did not have any woman. Perhaps, he was also proud to have a boyfriend whom he lived with, aka Barnabas a Hellenist like Paul.

You're sick.

oatmeal

A Bishop, Teacher, Deacon aka a Rabbi MUST be blameless and the husband of one wife. He shall be able to rule his own house and keep his children in submission, for if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of his church?

A Bishop aka a Rabbi or Teacher MUST be the husband of one wife. Nicodemus, a famous Pharisee went once to Jesus and said, "Rabbi, we know that you are a Teacher." (John 3:2) So, Jesus was a Rabbi and Teacher akin to the position of a Bishop. Hence according to Paul, it was a MUST that a Rabbi, Teacher or Bishop be the husband of one wife. If not by any other reason, to keep himself blameless of any unnecessary temptation.

As Paul never married he must have made of himself the exception to the above syllogism because he was of the kind to teach: "Do as I say but not as I do because I am a sinner too."(Rom. 7:25)

Jesus Christ lived under the law of Moses and fulfilled it.

Where does it say in the law that a "bishop" must be married?

Can you prove that all prophets, teachers, apostles, pastors in the OT and the gospels were all married?

Was David married before he taught Saul about believing God?

Was Daniel ever married?

How about Shadrach, Meshach and Ebednego?

Does it state that Ezra or Nehemiah were married?

Was Mordecai married?

Was Joseph married while he was receiving from God the interpretations of the dreams of the butler and baker?

Was John the Baptist married?

Who called Jesus a rabbi?

Did the religious elite give him that title sincerely or were his followers the ones who had the respect to call him teacher?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Why does the idea that Jesus was married disturb some people?

Jesus Christ was married (to Israel).

"When I passed by you again and looked upon you, indeed your time was the time of love, so I spread My wing over you and covered your nakedness. Yes, I swore an oath to you and entered into a covenant with you and you became Mine," says the Lord GOD. (Ezekiel 16:8 NKJV)

...My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the LORD. (Jeremiah 31:32 NKJV)​

Death terminates a marriage and Jesus Christ has taken a new bride.

Ben Masada

Probably because of the metaphorical Christian doctrine that Jesus was married with the Church. An absurdity all the same because the Church was risen about 30 years after Jesus was no longer around.

brewmama

You're joking, right? You're using Paul to "prove" your point, yet ignore this?

1 Corinthians 7:8-9King James Version (KJV)

8 I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, it is good for them if they abide even as I.

9 But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
An absurdity all the same because the Church was risen about 30 years after Jesus was no longer around.

The word church comes from the Greek ecclesia, which refers to the called out ones. It began with those called out of Egypt.

This is he (Moses) who was in the congregation in the wilderness with the Angel who spoke to him on Mount Sinai, and with our fathers, the one who received the living oracles to give to us. (Acts 7:38 NKJV)​

Ben Masada

You're sick.

Jamie, the only other option to deny that Jesus was not married is to acknowledge that he was a liar. Do you remember what he said in Matthew 5:17-19? That he had not come to abolish the Law but to fulfill it down to the letter.

Now, do you remember the first commandment in the Torah? It is found in Genesis 2:24. A man shall leave his father and his mother and shall cling to his wife to be of one flesh with her. And, mind you, that's a commandment upon the man to make the first move by proposing. If Jesus came to fulfill the Law down to the letter, do you prefer that he was a liar rather than a married man? I am serious, lady! What do you say?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
If Jesus came to fulfill the Law down to the letter, do you prefer that he was a liar rather than a married man? I am serious, lady! What do you say?

I say Jesus was married until he died and then he was no longer married.

brewmama

Jamie, the only other option to deny that Jesus was not married is to acknowledge that he was a liar. Do you remember what he said in Matthew 5:17-19? That he had not come to abolish the Law but to fulfill it down to the letter.

Now, do you remember the first commandment in the Torah? It is found in Genesis 2:24. A man shall leave his father and his mother and shall cling to his wife to be of one flesh with her. And, mind you, that's a commandment upon the man to make the first move by proposing. If Jesus came to fulfill the Law down to the letter, do you prefer that he was a liar rather than a married man? I am serious, lady! What do you say?

If this is your example of evidence, I sincerely hope you never have to go to court for anything. I still think you must be joking.

Are you saying there are NEVER any single Jews? Or have never been?

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The OP is in error. A bishop could have only one wife. Scripture does not say that they must be married. How foolish is that?

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
On the other hand, Paul would almost shout to the whole world that he did not have any woman. Perhaps, he was also proud to have a boyfriend whom he lived with, aka Barnabas a Hellenist bachelor like Paul. (Acts 9:26,27; 13:50)

Oh, I see the problem here!

You thought this was TransgressionOnline. No, no, that's down the hall and to the left. The far left.

Granite

Hall of Fame

Sex is dirty, sex is weird, sex is ugh, Jesus is God, blah-blah.

That's what this boils down to. Yes, he was fully man, fully human, just...not...like that. It's the creepy icky factor.

I remember a guy I used to know--a real earnest doofus, but not a bad person, per se--once object that the idea that Jesus was married, or had sex, "threatened his sovereignty." When I asked him exactly what he meant by this I could tell he was expecting this declaration to end a discussion, not start one.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned

1 Timothy 3:2 should be read as saying: "a husband of [no more than] one wife."

The number of wives here indicates only the maximum, not the minimum, number of wives that a bishop can have. Evidence that this is true? St. Paul was a bishop, but remained unmarried. Furthermore, he exhorts people, if they are willing to do so, to remain unmarried, just like him. Should we assume that he advises this to ordinary lay Christians, but would bar ecclesiastic authorities from the better form of life, consigning them, I say, not so much to the worse, but to the less perfect?

A Bishop, Teacher, Deacon aka a Rabbi

Those aren't logically equivalent terms.

I deny the first premise.

That's just a flat out lie. That's not what Romans 7:25 says:

"The grace of God, by Jesus Christ our Lord. Therefore, I myself, with the mind serve the law of God; but with the flesh, the law of sin."

This line, of course, only can be understood in the greater context of the chapter and work at hand.