User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Observations on Two Contending Mission Statements

  1. #1
    Journeyman Shubee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    150
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    135

    Observations on Two Contending Mission Statements

    An example of a Christian mission statement is Article 5 of The Fundamental Beliefs of Seventh-day Millerites, Circa 2018.

    5. "We have been made a spectacle to the world, both to angels and to men" (1 Corinthians 4:9). Our mission is what Christ announced to be His mission at the beginning of His ministry.

    The Spirit of the LORD is upon Me,
    Because He has anointed Me
    To preach the gospel to the poor;
    He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted,
    To proclaim liberty to the captives
    And recovery of sight to the blind,
    To set at liberty those who are oppressed;
    To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD. Luke 4:18-19.


    We are to carry forward the work placed in our hands by the Master. He says:

    If you pour yourself out for the hungry
    and satisfy the desire of the afflicted,
    then shall your light rise in the darkness
    and your gloom be as the noonday.
    And the LORD will guide you continually
    and satisfy your desire in scorched places
    and make your bones strong;
    and you shall be like a watered garden,
    like a spring of water,
    whose waters do not fail. Isaiah 58:10-11.

    For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, ‘You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land.’ Deuteronomy 15:11.

    So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets. Matthew 7:12.


    A competing mission among those who profess to be Christians has been described as the gospel of American fascists. Seventh-day Millerites label it the third demon’s message.

    In this version of the Christian Gospel, the exploitation and abuse of other human beings is a good. … And this global, heartless system of economic rationalism has morphed in the rhetoric of the Christian Right into a test of faith. The ideology it espouses is a radical evil, an ideology of death. It calls for wanton destruction, destruction of human beings, of the environment, of communities and neighborhoods, of labor unions, of a free press, of Iraqis, Palestinians or others in the Middle East who would deny us oil fields and hegemony, of federal regulatory agencies, social welfare programs, public education–in short, the destruction of all people and programs that stand in the way of a Christian America and its God-given right to dominate the rest of the planet. The movement offers, in return, the absurd but seductive promise that those who are right with God will rise to become spiritual and material oligarchs. They will become the new class. Those who are not right with God, be they poor or Muslim or unsaved, deserve what they get. In the rational world none of this makes sense. But believers have been removed from a reality-based world. They believe that through Jesus all is possible. It has become a Christian duty to embrace the exploitation of others, to build a Christian America where freedom means the freedom of the powerful to dominate the weak. Since believers see themselves as becoming empowered through faith, the gross injustices and repression that could boomerang back on most of them are of little concern. They assuage their consciences with the small acts of charity they or their churches dole out to the homeless or the mission fields. The emotion-filled religious spectacles and spiritual bromides compensate for the emptiness of their lives. They are energized by hate campaigns against gays or Muslims or liberals or immigrants. They walk willingly into a totalitarian prison they are helping to construct. They yearn for it. They work for it with passion, self-sacrifice and a blinding self-righteousness. “Evil when we are in its power is not felt as evil but as a necessity, or even a duty,” Simone Weil wrote in Gravity and Grace. And it is the duty of the Christian foot soldiers to bring about the Christian utopia. When it is finished, when all have been stripped of legal and social protection, it will be too late to resist. This is the genius of totalitarian movements. They convince the masses to agitate for their own incarceration. — Chris Hedges, American Fascists, pp. 146-147.

  2. #2
    Journeyman Shubee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    150
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    135
    Seventh-day Millerites are most qualified to appreciate, defend and elaborate on the following statement by the Seventh-day Adventist prophetess, Mrs. Ellen G. White.

    The beast with lamb-like horns speaks with the voice of a dragon, and "exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him." The spirit of persecution manifested by paganism and the papacy is again to be revealed. Prophecy declares that this power will say "to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast." [Revelation 13:14.] The image is made to the first or leopard-like beast, which is the one brought to view in the third angel's message. By this first beast is represented the Roman Church, an ecclesiastical body clothed with civil power, having authority to punish all dissenters. The image to the beast represents another religious body clothed with similar power. The formation of this image is the work of that beast whose peaceful rise and mild professions render it so striking a symbol of the United States. Here is to be found an image of the papacy. When the churches of our land, uniting upon such points of faith as are held by them in common, shall influence the State to enforce their decrees and sustain their institutions, then will Protestant America have formed an image of the Roman hierarchy. Then the true church will be assailed by persecution, as were God's ancient people. Almost every century furnishes examples of what bigotry and malice can do under a plea of serving God by protecting the rights of Church and State. Protestant churches that have followed in the steps of Rome by forming alliance with worldly powers have manifested a similar desire to restrict liberty of conscience. In the seventeenth century thousands of non-conformist ministers suffered under the rule of the Church of England. Persecution always follows religious favoritism on the part of secular governments. {4SP 277.2}

    Those who agree with the opening post and Sister White’s statement quoted above, and have been following the Alarming, Irreversible Trends toward the Mark of the Beast, should realize that AIPAC is a major player in the fulfillment of Bible prophecy and that dramatic endtime events are about to unfold.

    Any questions?

  3. #3
    Over 1000 post club Idolater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,347
    Thanks
    155
    Thanked 203 Times in 175 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    21805
    What if Nero, through gematria of his name 'Caesar Nero' translated into Hebrew, was 'Mr. 666?' Does that nullify all else said here?
    "Those who believe in Christ" are all the Christians, Catholic or not.

    @Nee_Nihilo

  4. #4
    Journeyman Shubee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    150
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by Idolater View Post
    What if Nero, through gematria of his name 'Caesar Nero' translated into Hebrew, was 'Mr. 666?' Does that nullify all else said here?
    Not even close. The letters in the name Ellen Gould White, the Seventh-day Adventist prophetess, also add up to 666.

    Ultimately, I prefer the sophistication of http://everythingimportant.org/666/ because that interpretation fits an impressive Bible prophecy that is unfolding now.

  5. #5
    Over 1000 post club Idolater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,347
    Thanks
    155
    Thanked 203 Times in 175 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    21805
    Quote Originally Posted by Shubee View Post
    Not even close. The letters in the name Ellen Gould White, the Seventh-day Adventist prophetess, also add up to 666.
    And a variant of 666, found in some manuscripts of Revelation, is 616. Turns out, if you instead calculate 'Caesar Nero' in another alphabet, or according to his Greek or Latin name, you get 616 instead of 666.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shubee View Post
    Ultimately, I prefer the sophistication of http://everythingimportant.org/666/ because that interpretation fits an impressive Bible prophecy that is unfolding now.
    I've heard the theory that Revelation is based on the zodiac.
    "Those who believe in Christ" are all the Christians, Catholic or not.

    @Nee_Nihilo

  6. #6
    Journeyman Shubee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    150
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by Idolater View Post
    I've heard the theory that Revelation is based on the zodiac.
    It is my understanding that preterists don't believe that the book of Revelation is a God-given revelation. Personally, I take the whole book as a revelation from God the Father, which was given to Jesus and passed on to John the Apostle, as Revelation 1:1 asserts.

  7. #7
    TOL Subscriber glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    23,649
    Thanks
    14,792
    Thanked 37,282 Times in 18,626 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147804
    Quote Originally Posted by Shubee View Post
    An example of a Christian mission statement is Article 5 of The Fundamental Beliefs of Seventh-day Millerites, Circa 2018.

    5. "We have been made a spectacle to the world, both to angels and to men" (1 Corinthians 4:9). Our mission is what Christ announced to be His mission at the beginning of His ministry.

    The Spirit of the LORD is upon Me,
    Because He has anointed Me
    To preach the gospel to the poor;
    He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted,
    To proclaim liberty to the captives
    And recovery of sight to the blind,
    To set at liberty those who are oppressed;
    To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD. Luke 4:18-19.


    We are to carry forward the work placed in our hands by the Master. He says:

    If you pour yourself out for the hungry
    and satisfy the desire of the afflicted,
    then shall your light rise in the darkness
    and your gloom be as the noonday.
    And the LORD will guide you continually
    and satisfy your desire in scorched places
    and make your bones strong;
    and you shall be like a watered garden,
    like a spring of water,
    whose waters do not fail. Isaiah 58:10-11.

    For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, ‘You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land.’ Deuteronomy 15:11.

    So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets. Matthew 7:12.


    A competing mission among those who profess to be Christians has been described as the gospel of American fascists. Seventh-day Millerites label it the third demon’s message.

    In this version of the Christian Gospel, the exploitation and abuse of other human beings is a good. … And this global, heartless system of economic rationalism has morphed in the rhetoric of the Christian Right into a test of faith. The ideology it espouses is a radical evil, an ideology of death. It calls for wanton destruction, destruction of human beings, of the environment, of communities and neighborhoods, of labor unions, of a free press, of Iraqis, Palestinians or others in the Middle East who would deny us oil fields and hegemony, of federal regulatory agencies, social welfare programs, public education–in short, the destruction of all people and programs that stand in the way of a Christian America and its God-given right to dominate the rest of the planet. The movement offers, in return, the absurd but seductive promise that those who are right with God will rise to become spiritual and material oligarchs. They will become the new class. Those who are not right with God, be they poor or Muslim or unsaved, deserve what they get. In the rational world none of this makes sense. But believers have been removed from a reality-based world. They believe that through Jesus all is possible. It has become a Christian duty to embrace the exploitation of others, to build a Christian America where freedom means the freedom of the powerful to dominate the weak. Since believers see themselves as becoming empowered through faith, the gross injustices and repression that could boomerang back on most of them are of little concern. They assuage their consciences with the small acts of charity they or their churches dole out to the homeless or the mission fields. The emotion-filled religious spectacles and spiritual bromides compensate for the emptiness of their lives. They are energized by hate campaigns against gays or Muslims or liberals or immigrants. They walk willingly into a totalitarian prison they are helping to construct. They yearn for it. They work for it with passion, self-sacrifice and a blinding self-righteousness. “Evil when we are in its power is not felt as evil but as a necessity, or even a duty,” Simone Weil wrote in Gravity and Grace. And it is the duty of the Christian foot soldiers to bring about the Christian utopia. When it is finished, when all have been stripped of legal and social protection, it will be too late to resist. This is the genius of totalitarian movements. They convince the masses to agitate for their own incarceration. — Chris Hedges, American Fascists, pp. 146-147.
    Good grief. Are you giving any of that any credence?

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

    Right Divider (December 10th, 2018),Tambora (December 9th, 2018)

  9. #8
    Journeyman Shubee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    150
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by Shubee View Post
    Seventh-day Millerites are most qualified to appreciate, defend and elaborate on the following statement by the Seventh-day Adventist prophetess, Mrs. Ellen G. White.

    The beast with lamb-like horns speaks with the voice of a dragon, and "exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him." The spirit of persecution manifested by paganism and the papacy is again to be revealed. Prophecy declares that this power will say "to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast." [Revelation 13:14.] The image is made to the first or leopard-like beast, which is the one brought to view in the third angel's message. By this first beast is represented the Roman Church, an ecclesiastical body clothed with civil power, having authority to punish all dissenters. The image to the beast represents another religious body clothed with similar power. The formation of this image is the work of that beast whose peaceful rise and mild professions render it so striking a symbol of the United States. Here is to be found an image of the papacy. When the churches of our land, uniting upon such points of faith as are held by them in common, shall influence the State to enforce their decrees and sustain their institutions, then will Protestant America have formed an image of the Roman hierarchy. Then the true church will be assailed by persecution, as were God's ancient people. Almost every century furnishes examples of what bigotry and malice can do under a plea of serving God by protecting the rights of Church and State. Protestant churches that have followed in the steps of Rome by forming alliance with worldly powers have manifested a similar desire to restrict liberty of conscience. In the seventeenth century thousands of non-conformist ministers suffered under the rule of the Church of England. Persecution always follows religious favoritism on the part of secular governments. {4SP 277.2}

    Those who agree with the opening post and Sister White’s statement quoted above, and have been following the Alarming, Irreversible Trends toward the Mark of the Beast, should realize that AIPAC is a major player in the fulfillment of Bible prophecy and that dramatic endtime events are about to unfold.
    I accept all of this as being highly credible.

  10. #9
    Journeyman Shubee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    150
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by Shubee View Post
    Observations on Two Contending Mission Statements
    Observation 1

    If you hate the first mission statement, you're gonna love the second.

  11. #10
    Journeyman Shubee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    150
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    Good grief. Are you giving any of that any credence?
    Don't you think that Jesus is credible?

  12. #11
    TOL Subscriber glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    23,649
    Thanks
    14,792
    Thanked 37,282 Times in 18,626 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147804
    Quote Originally Posted by Shubee View Post
    Don't you think that Jesus is credible?
    Jesus I know....The rest of that stuff is just stuff.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

    Tambora (December 9th, 2018)

  14. #12
    Journeyman Shubee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    150
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    Jesus I know....The rest of that stuff is just stuff.
    Do you believe it's a sin to know what's happening in the world and to conclude that there are individuals that are selling their souls for the joy of participating in indisputably evil schemes to dominate the world?

  15. #13
    TOL Subscriber glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    23,649
    Thanks
    14,792
    Thanked 37,282 Times in 18,626 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147804
    Quote Originally Posted by Shubee View Post
    Do you believe it's a sin to know what's happening in the world and to conclude that there are individuals that are selling their souls for the joy of participating in indisputably evil schemes to dominate the world?
    Why would it be a sin to know something and conclude something from what you know?

    Having knowledge isn't a sin.

  16. #14
    Journeyman Shubee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    150
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    Why would it be a sin to know something and conclude something from what you know?

    Having knowledge isn't a sin.
    Good. By calling the demonic agenda cited above as "just stuff", it seemed that you were being dismissive of what was rightly labeled the third demon’s message. So I'm delighted to hear that you weren't judging.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us